Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Well, Gordon makes perfect sense in all honesty. He gets rid of Rip, which is a good thing considering his attitude last year. If Rip Hamilton is your #1 option on offense, you are a .500 team. Are you really willing to keep him around and bring in some free agents or traded players (Who will be higher options on offense) and hope he doesn't flip out again? I'm not. Time to go Rip.

Second, Gordon shoots over 40% from the three point line. Absolutely huge for this team right now. Nobody on our current roster can stretch the floor and hit threes on a consistent basis. Gordon would help immensely in that area.

Where Gordon doesn't work out is the money. $11 million per year? $6 or $7 million per year, lets talk. At $11 million per, not a freaking chance.
    I don't think Gordon is attitude free, and his was about playing time and money. Regardless, I cut Rip some slack for last season. He was head faked by Dumars into signing an extension, stuck with a coach who had no idea how to run an offense, lost his backcourt mate and sent to the bench while the team reeled. Maybe he could have handled it better but given how Gordon's reacted to far less in Chicago, I'm betting he wouldn't have handled Rip's circumstances any better.

As for the stats, Rip had a better FG% in 2007, including 3s than Gordon and has averaged more assists and less TOs than Gordon in 2007 and 2008. Who knows what Curry's brilliant offense and the Pistons lack of a PG would do to Gordon anyway.

I agree with you in the end though. At $6 or 7 million a year, he's younger with a bit of an upside to build towards over the next few years. At the $10+ million he's been after, for this team that's so far away at the moment, it would be foolish.

Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't think Gordon is attitude free, and his was about playing time and money. Regardless, I cut Rip some slack for last season. He was head faked by Dumars into signing an extension, stuck with a coach who had no idea how to run an offense, lost his backcourt mate and sent to the bench while the team reeled. Maybe he could have handled it better but given how Gordon's reacted to far less in Chicago, I'm betting he wouldn't have handled Rip's circumstances any better.

As for the stats, Rip had a better FG% in 2007, including 3s than Gordon and has averaged more assists and less TOs than Gordon in 2007 and 2008. Who knows what Curry's brilliant offense and the Pistons lack of a PG would do to Gordon anyway.

I agree with you in the end though. At $6 or 7 million a year, he's younger with a bit of an upside to build towards over the next few years. At the $10+ million he's been after, for this team that's so far away at the moment, it would be foolish.
    Rip knew what he was getting into. He signed his extension days after the trade.

Shane Battier's text buddy? Obama ... sort of | detnews.com | The Detroit News

"He has just signed an extension, and he tells Chauncey he wants to be traded now, that if he'd known they were going to trade Chauncey, he never would've re-upped in Detroit."

OK, the truth is, Hamilton hadn't signed his extension. He'd agreed to it, but the team was on the road. When they got back, Joe Dumars called Hamilton into his office. He held the unsigned contract between his thumbs. He basically told Hamilton, if you are so upset, we can tear this contract up right now. Hamilton signed it.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bosh: 2010 Has Thousands Of Possibilities
    Bosh: 2010 Has Thousands Of Possibilities

Chris Bosh gave his most extensive quotes about his looming free agency this week in an interview with Fox Sports Radio.

"As of right now, I'm not sure," said Bosh when asked about possibly coming to the Heat. "I like Miami, don't get me wrong. But I don't know what comes along with being a part of that organization. I don't even have any friends in Miami, which was the funniest part. A close friend of mine hit me yesterday and was like 'Hey there’s another article out' and I was like 'What now?' 'Apparently a friend in Miami said you're going to Miami.' He sent me the article and I read it, and I'm like, 'now they’re just making stuff up.'"

Bosh was then asked about his 2010 free agency class.

"You know the crazy thing about it is, I got that question a lot this year," said Bosh. "I can only imagine how next year is going to be. Its like '2010 is coming up, you are going to be a free agent. Where are you going to go? Come here.' Every city I’m in, they ask me to play for their team. It’s something to deal with, and I think sometimes you just have to set the record straight. What do you want me to do? I don’t know where I am going. I don’t know what the future holds. What might be good today may not be good tomorrow. I guess it's a lot of fun for some people because it's speculation. It's thousands of possibilities because there are going to be a lot of free agents that year."

Pistons might court Lakers free agent Trevor Ariza - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Pistons might court Lakers free agent Trevor Ariza
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Now that the NBA playoffs are over, there is only one team -- the Los Angeles Lakers -- feeling really good.

But in the coming months, basketball fans will see that the Lakers aren't the only playoff winners.

In just about every playoff series, there was at least one unrestricted free-agent-to-be whose play might result in a fatter-than-expected payday this summer.

The Detroit Pistons, one of the few teams with money this offseason, are expected to be in the running for most of them.

One player who will get a lot more attention based on his play in the postseason is Los Angeles Lakers forward Trevor Ariza.

The Los Angeles native said he wants to re-sign with his hometown team, but it's unclear if the Lakers will give him the raise he is seeking.

The Lakers already have more than $70 million tied up in salaries for next season -- well above the luxury tax threshold -- and that number will take a significant jump if they are serious in their efforts to re-sign Ariza and fellow Lakers free agent Lamar Odom.

Ariza's ascension to prime free-agent target came unexpectedly.

Acquired in February from Orlando, the 6-foot-8 forward wasn't expected to make much of an impact. Known primarily as a defender, Ariza showcased an offensive game in the playoffs few knew existed.

In five seasons, Ariza never averaged more than 8.9 points per game. But during the playoffs this year, he bumped his scoring average up to 11.3 points per game.

The biggest knock on Ariza was he couldn't shoot long range with consistency, but shooting was not an issue for him during the playoffs.

A career 29.9 percent 3-point shooter, Ariza connected on 47.6 percent of his 3s in the playoffs. And his defense against the likes of Denver's Carmelo Anthony and Utah's Andrei Kirilenko only helped to reinforce his reputation.

The big concern with Ariza, as is often the case with players who have breakout performances in the playoffs, is if his strong postseason play was an aberration.

For every Chauncey Billups, whose strong play during the 2002 playoffs off Minnesota's bench made him a prized free-agent target for the Pistons, you have an Austin Croshere, who never lived up to the big-time contract he received from Indiana after a strong showing in the 2000 playoffs.

The Pistons' level of interest will intensify if they make a trade involving Tayshaun Prince that nets them an impact power forward or center.

While nothing is imminent, Prince remains one of the most likely Pistons to be traded this summer because of to his contract (two years, $21.5 million remaining), postseason experience and versatility.

What would it take to land Ariza? He made $3.1 million this season. A multiyear deal with a salary double that amount is likely.

SLAM ONLINE | » Links: Why The Hawks Aren’t Trading Josh Smith

Why The Hawks Aren’t Trading Josh Smith

1) Josh’s trade kicker is more like $7 million, not $6 million. (It’s actually a percentage of the money owed under the contract, not a set amount.)

2) Because the Hawks matched an offer sheet from Memphis to retain Josh, they can’t trade him for one year unless they get the consent of the player. So discussing trades and all that stuff right now would be a moot point unless Josh was the one who wanted to be traded. And I don’t believe that’s the case.

jsmith3) If the Hawks were to do a deal to shed Josh’s contract, in the interest of reducing overall team salary, they’d presumably want an expiring contract to make the deal work and, more importantly, draft picks, right? That way they’d use the picks to draft a couple of younger guys that they’d have for the next 3-4 years at the slotted rookie minimum salary.

But because Josh was a restricted free agent last summer and the Hawks matched his deal, he is a Base Year Compensation player. Because he signed last year in the middle of August, the Hawks could not trade him until the middle of August this year without all sorts of crazy financial permutations affecting the deal.

Which would make acquiring Draft picks in exchange for him rather difficult, if not impossible.

4) Basically, a “trade kicker” works like a no-trade clause. To have a no-trade clause as an NBA player, you have to have 8 years of service with the same team. Josh does not have that much service with the Hawks, but the kicker basically works like a no-trade, as far as the player is concerned.

But let’s say the Hawks worked out a deal to move Josh to, say, Minnesota. The T-Wolves might have a deal worked out where salaries matched up, but maybe they don’t have an extra $7 million cash sitting around. (And according to NBA rules, the team has to write one check to the player for the entire amount within 30 days of the trade happening.)

So the Wolves would have to come to Josh and say, Would you be willing to pass on part of that $7 million bonus to come play for us? And Josh could say no, effectively vetoing the trade.

(Also, I’ve been told a player can’t pass on the entire amount of the kicker.)

Conversely, if, say, the Lakers worked out a deal and came to Josh with the same proposal, he might say yes to skipping some money, figuring he could make up that amount in local marketing deals. Or maybe he’d just rather play for Phil Jackson than Mike Woodson.

5) If the Hawks are really interested in keeping all of the players Chad mentions above but don’t have the cash to do it, one way around that might be NOT PAYING THEM AS MUCH AS THEY PAID THEM LAST YEAR. Mike Bibby was a key player last season, but he also made $14 million. He’s not going to make that much this year, not from Atlanta, not from anyone else. (Unless maybe Olympiakos becomes involved.)

6) In talking to people about this deal, an interesting question came up that nobody had a concrete answer for: Say Josh got traded today. He made $10 million last season — and from what I was told, it would still be last season’s salary that would be his trade number, at least until July 1, when free agency starts. So his value in a trade would be $10 million.

Or would it? Because even though it’s not his salary, with the trade kicker involved, the team he would be traded to would be responsible for paying him not $10 million, but $17 million. Right? So is his trade number, for lack of a better term, $10 million or $17 million? I think it’s $17 million, at least that’s what I was told by one exec. Which would make trading him now even tougher.
    I disagree with him on point #6. From the NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

84. How do trade bonuses affect the salary cap and trades?

For the salary cap, the value of a trade bonus is applied to the team salary among the remaining years of the contract (excluding non-guaranteed years -- see question number 91, and years following an Option or ETO -- see question number 50), in proportion to the percentage of salary in each of those seasons that is guaranteed.
    Maybe I am reading it wrong. But to me it sounds like the trade kicker is applied to all the years left on the contract and spread out over those years.

Of course, I could be reading it wrong and that FAQ could be wrong.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Gordon Denies Detroit Rumors

Gordon Denies Detroit Rumors

Ben Gordon denied rumors that his agent already has a deal in place with Detroit on Wednesday.

"You can't even negotiate until July 1, so that's just rumors," said Gordon. "I really don't know what's going to happen."

Gordon has had contentious negotiations with the Bulls over the past two years.

"Things didn't go my way but that didn't stop me from approaching my job the same way and loving the game of basketball. There are a lot of people in worse situations than me, so there's really no need to be stressed about it or have bad blood."

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

The 13 days can't go by fast enough.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    The 13 days can't go by fast enough.
    We get a little appetizer next Thursday. Not much for Piston fans probably, but still fun.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Toronto Hoping To Sign-And-Trade Bosh

Toronto Hoping To Sign-And-Trade Bosh

Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo feels as though the team's best course of action is to sign-and-trade Chris Bosh.

Bosh will become an unrestricted free agent after the 2009-10 season, which puts the Raptors in a difficult spot.

"We'll have the discussion, we'll talk about the pros and the cons, he'll most likely not sign it, and then we'll get in to next season, we'll figure out where we are," Colangelo said in an interview with The Fan 590 in Toronto.

"In respect to the situation for him, there will be a handful of teams next year - I'm guessing between five and ten - which will have maximum allowable free agent money, which means Chris is subject to walk to one of those deals. But, I have to reiterate the point that keeps being overlooked - we're the only team that can offer him a full six years versus five years, 10.5% increases versus 8% increases ... Basically equates to a $30 million dollar difference. So, even if he wants to leave, he's still better served, and we're better served if he works a sign-and-trade with us where we can get some sort of an asset back from the team that he's going to. And, I think that's probably the thing that we'll both push for because he'll benefit from it and we'll benefit from it, and that's why it's probably not time to panic now and make a bad deal."

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

Rip, Tay and #15 for Bosh?

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Trading for Ben Gordon would be a lot like trading for Allen Iverson | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Trading for Ben Gordon would be a lot like trading for Allen Iverson

What do you think about the rumor of the Pistons pursuing Ben Gordon? Would he be a good fit? What if it meant trading Rip Hamilton?

First of all, I’m not buying the rumor. I have no doubt that teams talk to free agents before the July 1st starting period, or at least have had talks with their agents. Sam Smith has covered basketball a lot longer than most of us, and he knows the rules as well as anyone. He wouldn’t just float a rumor out there knowing it was a blatant violation of the NBA rules. And if the rumor was true, and the Pistons ended up signing Ben Gordon, wouldn’t it be a blatant violation of those rules? And wouldn’t they open themselves up awfully quickly to some tampering charges?

But here’s what I don’t like about the Gordon move. The Pistons would be bringing in an under-sized guard who plays spotty defense who loves to score. I’m scouring my memory, but I’m pretty sure they tried this strategy recently. Hmmmm….I just…can’t…seem to come up with “The Answer”. I’m sure I’ll think of it. But this once-great team dumped a team first player for a me-first player and the results were disastrous. Would a younger version really make that much of a difference?

Gordon is a younger version of the aforementioned Allen Iverson. And he automatically would become the best offensive player on the Pistons. But the more I watch him, the more I think that like Iverson, he’d be an almost impossible player to build a team around. A lot of fans are ready to bury the Rodney Stuckey era already. I’m not. He fought through injury in season one and dysfunction in season two. He might not be a sacred cow, but he’s worth a second look. And putting Gordon with him in the backcourt – well, let’s just say it’s not a complimentary move.

Joe Dumars has a difficult task. He has money to spend, but not money to burn. He clearly wants to improve things, but it going to be careful not to spend the money just to spend it. Bringing Gordon in would be a case of simply spending it.

Jamie is also on Twitter. Follow him at twitter.com/JamieSamuelsen.

HOOPSWORLD

Portland Working Sign-and-Trade for Lee?

David Lee walked through a hard rain yesterday at an NBA function at the South Street Seaport in possibly his last public appearance as a Knick.

The rain was a foreboding foreshadow, because Lee will see a lot of rain the rest his career if he bolts New York for Portland.

This is not about the NBA draft. What happens in 10 days is just as important as the events of Thursday's NBA draft -- unless Ricky Rubio drops to the Knicks at No. 8. "It's is a high-pressure time," Lee told The Post.

Lee's future is at stake and it's as cloudy as the New York weather. He is free to negotiate with other teams July 1.

"There already been a lot of interest," Lee said. "There's definitely a bunch of teams very interested. It's a matter of how serious that interest is and what the Knicks want to do about it."

Portland will be Lee's strongest suitor. Detroit, with cap room, has interest, too. Lee declined to say whether he'll be in the Rose City July 1 for a recruiting trip.

"I haven't discussed it," Lee said.

Portland likely has to work out a sign-and-trade with the Knicks to get the 6-foot-9 power forward. Lee is expected to command between $7-10 million per year on an offer sheet, which the Knicks can match. If he gets an offer sheet at the spectrum's high end, Donnie Walsh is prepared to trade Lee or let him go with the idea of preserving 2010 cap space.

HOOPSWORLD
    Executive: Turkoglu Isn't Worth the Price

"No disrespect to Hedo (Turkoglu) , but he's not consistent enough for the kind of money I expect he'll demand ($11M per; four years)," an east coast executive declared. "He wants the ball with the game on the line and responds real well under pressure, but then he'll disappear for a game or two. That's all that's stopping him from becoming a perennial All-Star."

From a Ric Bucher Tweet:

Ric Bucher (RicBucher) on Twitter

@misterjpmanahan Clips were confident they had a Kaman deal 48 hrs ago. That changed last night. Camby to OKC is still out there right now.
    Would love to know what that Kaman deal was for.

Pistons ponder plenty of options | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Pistons ponder plenty of options

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Auburn Hills -- The NBA silly season, already under way, will kick into high gear this week.

The NBA Draft is Thursday, then July 1 teams can start courting and negotiating with free agents, though they can't sign any until July 7.

It's called the silly season because of the wild and incessant rumor mongering it spawns. The Pistons, because they have four draft picks, a roster in flux and more available salary cap space than most, are caught in the vortex of it all.

If you believe all the Internet reports, the Pistons have interest in just about every top-level free agent available and have made monetary promises to a few. If you believe Internet reports, the Pistons are trying to trade Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and their first-round draft pick (No. 15). If you believe Internet reports, the Pistons have made verbal promises to at least two players to take them at No. 15. If you believe Internet reports, the Pistons are looking to acquire another first-round draft pick, later in the first round.

None of the above is true.

Pistons president Joe Dumars said Saturday there was "no chance" he was looking to trade his first-round pick. Nor was he looking to trade for an additional first-round pick. No promises or guarantees have been made to anybody.

Dumars also said he was not looking to trade Hamilton or Prince, though, as he has stated numerous times since the end of last season, nobody is untouchable. If the right proposal came along, Dumars wouldn't hesitate to trade either player, or the No. 15 pick. The key distinction is, he's not shopping them. He's not actively searching for ways to trade those two players or his pick.

Clearly, though, the next few weeks are going to be critical for Dumars as he tries to rebuild the Pistons. The draft will be only a small part of the rebuilding plan. The major reconstruction will be done through free agency and trades.

The draft

Besides the 15th pick, the Pistons also have three second-round picks (35, 39, 44). Ideally, the Pistons would like to use two of those picks on players they can stash in Europe for a couple of years.

Overall, this is considered a weak draft by the consensus of scouts and general managers. After the No. 1 pick, Blake Griffin to the Clippers, there are no projected stars. But there are, at least to Dumars, a good crop of NBA-ready players.

As he told Pistons.com, "I think were in position to get a good player. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we like the guys in the 10-to-15 range. These particular guys may not be guys you project as stars, but you can still project them as really good players.

"Our job is to continue to add talented players to the roster. Were going to be in position to do that at the 15th pick."

Through the work of vice president of basketball Scott Perry and director of player personnel George David, the Pistons have a list of about six or seven players they would consider should they fall to No. 15.

That list most likely includes (but is not limited to): Terrence Williams, 6-foot-6 shooting guard, Louisville; Earl Clark, 6-10 small forward, Louisville; Austin Daye, 6-11, small forward, Gonzaga; B.J. Mullens, 7-1 center, Ohio State; James Johnson, 6-8 power forward, Wake Forest; DeJuan Blair, 6-6 power forward, Pitt; and Ty Lawson, 6-1 point guard, North Carolina.

"We've targeted four or five guys we like and were hoping we can get one of these guys," Dumars told Pistons.com. "Whoever we get, we think, is going to upgrade our talent base."

Free agency

The official salary cap won't be set until the first week of July, but with $41 million worth of salary commitments for the 2009-10 season, the Pistons expect to have no less than $17 million of available cap space to work with.

Only Memphis and Oklahoma City will have as much.

To get to the $17 million number, though, the Pistons will have to renounce free agents Rasheed Wallace and Allen Iverson. They could re-sign Wallace, but that does not appear to be the plan.

The Pistons also stand to lose Antonio McDyess to free agency. Because he was traded, bought out and re-signed last season, the Pistons do not own his Larry Bird rights. He is an unrestricted free agent.

On top of that, they are waiting to hear from center Kwame Brown, who has until June 30 to pick up a player option for $4 million next season. The Pistons expect he will exercise his option and return, but if he doesn't, they gain an additional $4 million in cap space.

Given all of those factors, the priority will be to sign a young, top-tier power forward. Carlos Boozer, 27, is expected to opt out of his contract with the Jazz. If he does, he most likely would be the Pistons' first option.

Paul Millsap, 24, a restricted free agent in Utah, would be another option.

The Jazz, most likely, won't be able to keep both and re-sign center Mehmet Okur.

The Pistons also have some hope of re-signing McDyess, though they acknowledge that he is expected to be courted by several contending teams (Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio).

The Pistons also need perimeter scoring help and it appears the primary target will be Bulls shooting guard Ben Gordon.

But there are too many unknown variables at this point to accurately define what Dumars' plan might be beyond those obvious primary targets.

Keep in mind, too, that having a lot of cap space facilitates trades as well as signing free agents. If a cash-strapped team is interested in trading off a high salary, the Pistons are one of the few teams that can accommodate it. That's how the Clippers acquired Marcus Camby from Denver last season.

It's all muddled and murky right now, but a gradual clearing will take place over the next few weeks. By the middle of July, the Pistons' new design model should be taking shape.

chris.mccosky@detnews.com (313) 222-1489

Omaha Piston is offline MotownSports Fan

Source: Spurs acquire Jefferson for 3 players - ESPN

The Milwaukee Bucks agreed to trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto a Bucks source told ESPN.com.

The two teams have agreed to the deal in principle. A trade call to make the deal official is coming later Tuesday.
    The move gives the Spurs a dynamic wing scorer to play alongside Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. The Spurs had promised to make their team better this summer and adding Jefferson for role players should give them a huge shot in the arm.

The Bucks incentive to make the trade is largely financial. Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are all in the last year of their contracts. The deal will clear $15 million off the books for the Bucks next season and give Milwaukee more flexibility for next year. It also saves them roughly $3 million this year. That may give the Bucks the wiggle room to sign one of their restricted free agents -- either Charlie Villanueva or Ramon Sessions -- next year.

Bowen, Oberto and Thomas also give the Bucks some veterans who will fill key holes for the team. The move also opens up some playing time for the Bucks lottery pick last year, Joe Alexander.

However, Bowen has a nonguaranteed contract for next season, so the Bucks could release him, further saving about $4 million next season and giving them a better chance of retaining Sessions and Villanueva. In that case, Bowen might return to San Antonio later this summer.
    Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

The rich get richer.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Pretty sick trade for SA.

After reading some Milwaukee message boards, this seems to be a good deal for them as well. It looks pretty lopsided at first but it will allow them to keep Sessions and maybe Charlie V. So good move for both sides I guess.

I picked up this rumor off of a message board. Understand I have no link and its just a rumor. But they are saying the deal is almost done.

Rondo/Scalabrine/Giddens to Memphis For Rudy gay and Mike Conley.

EDIT: Eh, I am gonna say this is BS now.
    Last edited by Deleterious; 06-23-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Dave Cowens won't return as Pistons assistant | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Dave Cowens won't return as Pistons assistant
    Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Auburn Hills -- Dave Cowens, NBA Hall of Famer and Pistons assistant the last three seasons, will not return to the bench next season.

Cowens, who has one year remaining on his contract, will be reassigned within the organization. He will assist president Joe Dumars and do some scouting.

The Pistons are left with three main bench assistants -- Darrell Walker, Pat Sullivan and Harold Ellis.

Joe Dumars has salary cap space he wanted | detnews.com | The Detroit News

The Pistons will not make a qualifying offer to forward Walter Herrmann , making him an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He is expected to play in Europe.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Source: 76ers Have Shopped Brand

Source: 76ers Have Shopped Brand

A league source confirmed to the Philadelphia Inquirer that the 76ers have shopped forward Elton Brand.

However, it is unlikely that the Sixers will be able to trade Brand because of the sizable contract he signed last summer and his recent injury history.

Brand has four years and $65 million left on his deal.

Philadelphia general manager Ed Stefanski is also looking at a possible move involving the 17th overall pick.

"We're exploring moving up and moving back," Stefanski said, adding that "unless the demands get less, we won't be doing that."

Sources: Phoenix Suns agree to send Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland Cavaliers - ESPN

Cavs were talking about Chandler

The Cavaliers were also in talks with New Orleans about obtaining Tyson Chandler. If they had not made the trade for O'Neal, they would have traded for Chandler, according to a source.

The Cavs felt O'Neal was the better option because he has just one year left on his contract, and will not eat up cap space that will enable them to pursue free agents such as Chris Bosh in next summer's star-studded free agent class. Chandler, who had injury problems last postseason, has a player option for $12.7 million in 2010-2011 that he is likely to pick up.

The Cavaliers are not done making moves. They still want to re-sign power forward Anderson Varejao and they also would like to add a long, athletic wing player via free agency.

The Cavs have Shaq; so what is the impact? - cleveland.com

The Cavs are not done. They still are going to be looking for a wing defender (or two) and I think also a stretch power forward, aka a player who can go out to the 3-point line. This is why I believe they will still consider signing Rasheed Wallace with their mid-level exception. You need to surround Shaq with shooters and stretch the floor, just like you do with LeBron. Look how effective a player like Robert Horry was with the Lakers when Shaq was there. When the Heat won their title Antonie Walker played about the same role as the stretch four. So in addition to the formula to pair Shaq with a great wing scorer (Kobe, DWade) also you need the other big to be able to stretch the floor. Not to mention it would help the Cavs in matchups with the Lakers and Magic as well.

WOLVES' GM GOES OUT ON LIMB BY TAKING THE 5TH - New York Post

According to the same source that disclosed Terry Porter was about to be fired as Suns coach, the Rockets are leaning toward swapping Tracy McGrady's expiring $22M contract, Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks for Leandro Barbosa and Stoudemire, who owns an escape clause after next season and is demanding an extension this summer to waive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Dave Cowens won't return as Pistons assistant
    Free up a spot for Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    Free up a spot for Bill?
    That thought crossed my mind too. Even though I still think that is a bad idea.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Amare To Golden State Being Discussed

Amare To Golden State Being Discussed

The Phoenix Suns and Golden State Warriors have discussed a possible trade.

League executives indicate that Phoenix could send Amare Stoudemire to the Warriors for a package that would include Andris Biedrins and the No. 7 pick in the draft.

Sources: New Jersey Nets-Orlando Magic talks include Vince Carter, Rafer Alston - ESPN

Sources: Nets, Magic in serious talks

The New Jersey Nets are in serious talks with the Magic about a deal that will send Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

The talks have reached a point that a deal could be done by the end of the day Thursday, according to sources.

The trade would give the Magic even more star power on their quest to win an NBA championship. The addition of Carter to a lineup that already consists of All-Star players Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson would make Orlando the favorite to win the Eastern Conference title next year if the franchise also finds a way to bring back Hedo Turkoglu, who will opt out of his contract this summer.

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

Over the life of the contracts, the Nets would save $40 million by making the deal.

The deal, if completed, would also give the Nets a young, promising shooting guard in Lee.

Chad Ford covers the NBA and NBA draft for ESPN Insider.

sportz4life is offline Released

Bye Hedu

Bye the way..so every team aside form the Lakers and Magic will have 64MM to spend on free agensts..in 2010..shrewd management by Joe Dumars..

4hzglory is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    Bye the way..so every team aside form the Lakers and Magic will have 64MM to spend on free agensts..in 2010..shrewd management by Joe Dumars..
    Which is why he is looking to spend it this season, either in FA or in trades - I hope the latter. I don't think you will see him holding on to cap space for next season. I don't like the FA options, but if we can pick up say a Kaaman and Lee via trade it is better than waiting until next season. I doubt we have much if any cap space left for 2010 after this off-season.
    Micah 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    Which is why he is looking to spend it this season, either in FA or in trades - I hope the latter. I don't think you will see him holding on to cap space for next season. I don't like the FA options, but if we can pick up say a Kaaman and Lee via trade it is better than waiting until next season. I doubt we have much if any cap space left for 2010 after this off-season.
    I advocate Kaman, Hinrich, Lee, Hedu..for for the 1955 Knicks look.. the all Aryan Pistons..make them a staple on TV in Utah..clever marleting..

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    The Pistons are going to spend their money this year. It was shrewd management.

What did you want them to do?
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Sources: Nash Wanted Shaq Traded

Sources: Nash Wanted Shaq Traded

According to NBA sources, Steve Nash expressed his displeasure with Shaquille O'Neal during a meeting last week in New York with general manager Steve Kerr.

O'Neal was traded to Cleveland on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Carter To Magic Now Official

Carter To Magic Now Official

The Orlando Magic have acquired eight-time NBA All-Star guard Vince Carter and forward Ryan Anderson from the New Jersey Nets in exchange for guard Rafer Alston, forward-center Tony Battie and guard Courtney Lee, General Manager Otis Smith announced this evening. “Vince (Carter) gives us a veteran, go-to scoring presence, especially at the end of games,” Smith said. “Our goal remains the same – to win a championship. Any time you can add an All-Star to help you reach your goals, you have to do it. Vince has been a bonafide scorer in this league for 11 seasons and we are excited to add both him and Ryan (Anderson) to our team. We thank Rafer, Tony and Courtney for their efforts and wish them success in the future.”

“The trade we made today provides our franchise with numerous options in the long-term development of our team,” said Nets boss Rod Thorn. “We believe that in Courtney Lee, we have acquired a young, dynamic player who will be a very good player in this league for a number of years. Rafer Alston has proven to be a quality player in this league for a number of years, and Tony Battie will provide a strong veteran presence off the bench."

Future Piston? Hedo Turkoglu opts out of contract with Orlando | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Future Piston? Hedo Turkoglu opts out of contract with Orlando

Hedo Turkoglu’s run with the Orlando Magic appears to be over.
    Advertisement

A day after the Magic acquired Vince Carter from the New Jersey Nets, Turkoglu’s agent said today that he sent a notice to Orlando earlier this week that his client will opt out of his contract to become a free agent. Agent Lon Babby said the Magic had made Turkoglu an initial offer that Orlando general manager Otis Smith described as a “jumping off point.”

But Carter’s acquisition signals the Magic are jumping in another direction.

Orlando’s payroll will likely rise into the luxury tax for the first time in franchise history, and Turkoglu is looking for a big payday after helping the Magic reach the NBA Finals last season. He will be a free agent Wednesday.

“We will see what the market holds on July 1, but that market will surely be robust for Hedo,” Babby said.

The Pistons are expected to be one of the few teams with enough salary-cap room to go after several high-priced free agents this off-season.

Turkoglu’s decision was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

Orlando also received forward Ryan Anderson from the Nets, who acquired three players in return: Point guard Rafer Alston, shooting guard Courtney Lee and power forward Tony Battie.

Turkoglu was due $7.3 million next season in the final year of his $36-million, six-year deal with the Magic. Turkoglu averaged 16.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.9 assists last season.

Although those numbers were slightly down from a year ago, when he was voted the NBA’s most improved player, he was often the player the Magic ran its offense through en route to just its second Eastern Conference championship. He also led the team in scoring in the finals at 18 points per game.

Turkoglu has spent the last five seasons in Orlando after four with the Sacramento Kings. He has said he would like to remain with the Magic but that securing his family’s future is the most important thing this off-season.

The 6-foot-10 forward from Turkey will likely command a multiyear deal worth around $10 million per year.

wingnut736 is offline MotownSports Fan

I like Turkoglu, and he can be a very good player, but I would hope the goal of this team is to get younger and rebuild. I'm not sure adding a 30 year old with a huge chunk of our free cap space would be the greatest idea. It'll all depend on what we do with Prince/Hamilton, though.
    09-10 AAW: Dan Cleary
    2010 AAT: Cody Satterwhite

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut736 View Post
    I like Turkoglu, and he can be a very good player, but I would hope the goal of this team is to get younger and rebuild. I'm not sure adding a 30 year old with a huge chunk of our free cap space would be the greatest idea. It'll all depend on what we do with Prince/Hamilton, though.
    I want nothing to do with Turkoglu myself. But with all this talk about Joe wanting long, tall, athletic guys who can handle and shoot, it seems like Turkoglu is someone he would want. It will be easier to get him now that they wont be bidding against Orlando.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast