slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

Default ESPN names Dumars as a top 10 SG of all time.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...0306-SGtidbits

#1 Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan has the most seasons of any NBA/ABA guard, scoring at least 25 points per game while shooting 50 percent or better from the field. He had six such years. George Gervin and David Thompson rank second with four.

Among the records held by Jordan: most consecutive games scoring in double figures. Jordan scored 10-plus points for 866 straight games played (basically, every game for the equivalent of just over 10-plus seasons). Jordan scored in double figures in every regular-season game he played for the Bulls.

If you ever want to stump your friends with a tricky trivia question, try this one: Against which NBA team did Jordan average his lowest regular-season point total?

The answer: The Bulls.

Jordan played six games against the Bulls, averaging 16.2 points. The team against whom he averaged the most points? The Trail Blazers (34 points in 24 games).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Kobe Bryant

Since 2000, Kobe Bryant has four games in which he has made at least 15 free throws, without missing one. No other NBA player has more than two such games in that span.

Bryant and Wilt Chamberlain are the only two players in NBA history to score 50 points in at least 10 games in a season. Bryant scored 50-plus in 10 games in 2006-07. Chamberlain's amazing marks are 45 50-plus point games in 1961-62, and 30 50-plus point games in 1962-63.

Bryant shares the NBA record for most 3-pointers made in a game, with 12 against the Sonics on Jan. 7, 2003. Bryant shares the mark with Donyell Marshall, who matched him in 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Jerry West

Jerry West owns the mark for most consecutive NBA Finals games scoring in double figures with 55. West never scored in single digits in an NBA Finals game.

The most points scored in the first game following the NBA All-Star Game is 63 by West. West scored 63 points versus the Knicks on Jan. 17, 1962.

West is one of two guards in NBA history to average at least 20 points in his final NBA season, among players who were 30 or older (not including players whose careers ended early). West averaged 20.3 points, playing 31 games in 1973-74. The only other 30-plus guard to do so in his final season: Jordan (20.0 points per game, 2002-03).

#4 George Gervin

George Gervin and Jordan are the only guards in NBA history to score 30 points per game or more, and shoot 50 percent or better from the field in a season.

Gervin holds the NBA record for most points in a quarter (33 points, second quarter vs. Jazz, April 9, 1978)

George Gervin had the second-best shooting game in NBA history (minimum 15 baskets), going 17-for-18 against the Bulls on Feb. 18, 1978.

#5 Allen Iverson

Allen Iverson is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points in a season in which he shot less than 40 percent from the field. Iverson averaged 31.4 points in 2001-02, a season in which he made only 39.8 percent of his shots.

Iverson is one of only four active players to have scored 40-plus points in a game in which he did not start. He scored 43 against the Nets on March 1, 2002, a game in which he entered as a reserve. The other three active players with 40-plus points in a non-start: Mike Miller, Manu Ginobili and Ben Gordon.

Iverson is one of three active players with back-to-back games of 50 points or more, having scored 54 and 51 points in consecutive games during the 2004-05 season. The other two active players: Antawn Jamison (2000-01) and Bryant (2006-07).

#6 Clyde Drexler

Only three players in NBA history have registered 20,000 points, 6,000 rebounds and 6,000 assists: Oscar Robertson, John Havlicek and Clyde Drexler.

Drexler ranks sixth in NBA history with 2,207 career steals, and had 100-plus steals in a season 13 times. Yet he was never selected to the NBA's All-Defensive Team.

Drexler holds one odd NBA record. He's 12-for-12 all-time at the free-throw line in the NBA All-Star Game, the most total makes without a miss in All-Star history.

#7 Reggie Miller

Reggie Miller went head-to-head with longtime nemesis Jordan 49 times in the regular season.

Miller's record in those meetings: 17-32.

In those 49 games, Jordan outscored Miller 41 times. Miller outscored Jordan on only seven occasions. The last time they met, Feb. 25, 2003, was the only game in which they tallied the same number of points: 25.

Who was the better free-throw shooter: Miller or Larry Bird? Turns out that it's extremely close. Miller shot 88.77 percent from the foul line in the regular season for his career. Bird shot 88.57 percent. That's close enough that had Bird made one more free throw in each of the 13 seasons of his NBA career, he would have had the better percentage. Amazingly, their playoff percentages are almost identical too. Miller: 89.32. Bird: 89.03.

Of the 18 players to score at least 25,000 points in their NBA/ABA careers, Miller is the only one to do so without ever being named to the All-NBA/ABA first or second team at the end of a season. Miller did make All-NBA third team three times in his career (1994-95, 1995-96, 1997-98).

#8 Pete Maravich

Pete Maravich owns the record for the most points in an NBA game in which the player fouled out, with 68 on Feb. 25, 1977, for the New Orleans Jazz in a 124-107 win over the New York Knicks.

In that game, Maravich also set the NBA record for most points scored in a game played in February.

November, December, January, March and April are months in which there has been at least one 70-plus-point game. But the high for February is Maravich's 68.

It is often said that Maravich would have been one of the great 3-point shooters in NBA history, had there been a 3-point line for much of his career.

Maravich played one season with the NBA's 3-point line and made 10-of-15 3-pointers. His 66.7 career 3-point shooting percentage is the best in NBA history for any player who has taken at least 15 career 3-point attempts.

#9 Earl Monroe

Earl Monroe's 56 points on Feb. 13, 1968, rank fourth on the rookie single-game scoring list, trailing only Chamberlain's 58 (twice) and Rick Barry's 57.

Monroe played in five Game 7s in his career, winning the last four. Twice in three years, Monroe was a member of a team that won Game 7 of the conference finals on the road. He was on the 1970-71 Bullets team that won at Madison Square Garden, beating the Knicks for the Eastern title. Two seasons later, he was a Knick, helping them get to the NBA Finals by winning Game 7 of the Eastern finals in the Boston Garden.

Not surprisingly, many of the NBA's greatest players were Division I college basketball stars. Monroe is an exception. He was a Division II star at Winston-Salem State, and still holds the NCAA's Division II record for most points scored in a season (1,329 in 1966-67).

#10 Joe Dumars

The most points ever scored in an NBA game without making a 2-point field goal is 40 by Detroit's Joe Dumars (Nov. 8, 1994, vs. the Timberwolves). In that game, Dumars made 10 3-pointers and 10 free throws.

Dumars is a four-time NBA All-Defensive First Team selection, despite NEVER ranking in the top 50 among NBA players in steals for any season.

Earlier this season, Chauncey Billups had 15 assists and no turnovers against the Knicks. He was the first Pistons player to accomplish the feat since Dumars did it against the Warriors on March 19, 1995.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

Got a problem with Iverson on the list, seeing he is a 1.
    1.21 gigawatts?!.......

VT

Mr. Bigglesworth is online now MotownSports Fan

I would take Dumars over Reggie Miller, but I suspect the difference between #7 and #10 is wafer thin anyway. I don't know basketball history well, but this list seems awfully biased towards recent players.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    I would take Dumars over Reggie Miller, but I suspect the difference between #7 and #10 is wafer thin anyway. I don't know basketball history well, but this list seems awfully biased towards recent players.
    I agree with the recent player bias. I love Dumars - he is probably my favorite all-time Piston, especially with his front office tenure, but I have a hard time seeing him as the 10th best SG of all time. I'm not going to go back and check out all the older players, but I would think there are more deserving than him for the 10 spot.
    Micah 7:7

Sparks4Ever is offline MotownSports Fan

Wasn't Jordan a 3?
    All Time AAT: Steve Sparks

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Iverson is hard to define. I think I would've put him on a point guard list.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

WMUDan is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks4Ever View Post
    Wasn't Jordan a 3?
    No. Pippen was their SF.

MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

Bryant rated above West, don't agree with that.

nikopolidis is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MAROTH4MVP View Post
    Bryant rated above West, don't agree with that.
    Your right, he should have rated above Jordan too.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    Got a problem with Iverson on the list, seeing he is a 1.
    Iverson is a 2, who has played the 1 at times.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    I agree with the recent player bias. I love Dumars - he is probably my favorite all-time Piston, especially with his front office tenure, but I have a hard time seeing him as the 10th best SG of all time. I'm not going to go back and check out all the older players, but I would think there are more deserving than him for the 10 spot.
    Actually Mike&Mike were talking about this this morning with some bball expert, they thought Dumars was ranked too low.