Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Detroit vs. San Antonio - NBA Finals: Game #7

at

PLAYING FOR:

Game Info: 9:00 pm EDT Thu Jun 23, 2005
    TV: ABC, TSN

Game 1: SAN 84 DET 69 | Recap | Shot Chart | Motownsports Game Thread | ST Game Thread
    Game 2: SAN 97 DET 76 | Recap | Shot Chart | Motownsports Game Thread | ST Game Thread
    Game 3: DET 96 SAN 79 | Recap | Shot Chart | Motwonsports Game Thread | ST Game Thread
    Game 4: DET 102 SAN 71 | Recap | Shot Chart | MotownSports Game Thread | ST Game Thread
    Game 5: SAN 96 DET 95 (OT) | Recap | Shot Chart | MotownSports Game Thread | ST Game Thread
    Game 6: DET 95 San Antonio 86 | Recap | Shot Chart | MotownSports Game Thread | ST Game Thread 1 2
    Game 7: at SA Thu, Jun 23 - 9:00 pm EDT TV: ABC, TSN

Season Series - Tied 2-2

3/20/05 - DET 110 SAN 101 | Recap | Shot Chart | Game Thread
    12/31/04 - SAN 80 DET 77 | Recap | Shot Chart

ESPN side by side player breakdown
    Series preview thread
    Snippets from San Antonio thread

Preview

PLAYOFF SERIES: NBA Finals; tied 3-3.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Pistons - F Rasheed Wallace, F Tayshaun Prince, C Ben Wallace, G Hamilton, G Billups. Spurs - F Duncan, F Bruce Bowen, C Nazr Mohammed, G Ginobili, G Parker.

What started out as one of the worst NBA Finals in recent memory has turned out to be one of the best.

``The NBA, this is what it's all about. Game 7, two best teams in the league -- don't get no better than this,'' Detroit's Chauncey Billups said.

For the first time in 11 years, the NBA champion will be decided in a Game 7 as the Pistons try to defend the title and pull off a second consecutive unlikely victory over the San Antonio Spurs at the SBC Center.

This series opened with an unprecedented four straight blowouts -- all won by the home team -- and Detroit handed San Antonio the most lopsided finals loss since 2000 in Game 4. Things finally got interesting in Game 5 as Robert Horry's heroics got the Spurs the first road win of the series, then the Pistons returned the favor with a 95-86 victory in San Antonio on Tuesday.

``We said it earlier: They are best facing elimination,'' Tim Duncan said. ``We knew we had to put a very good game out there to beat them. We didn't do it. It's a disappointing loss, but we play all year to have home court, to have this opportunity.''

Detroit now looks to win back-to-back games at San Antonio after having lost 10 straight there since 1997.

The NBA Finals has seen 15 Game 7s and the road team has won just three, the last coming in 1978 when Washington beat Seattle.

``History doesn't matter,'' Manu Ginobili said. ``Home-court advantage doesn't matter. It depends a lot on the character of the players, how you respond under pressure.''

The one player who has responded best to the pressure for San Antonio is Horry, who was part of the last NBA Finals that went seven games. He helped Houston defeat New York in 1994.

Just as Hakeem Olajuwon made the difference back then for the Rockets, a big-name big man could be the key to victory in this Game 7 -- Duncan for San Antonio or Rasheed Wallace for Detroit.

Despite leading his team in scoring and rebounding in this series, Duncan needs to show why he is a two-time NBA Finals MVP because he often has been a non-factor in crucial situations.

Though he had 26 points and 17 rebounds in Game 5, Duncan missed six of seven free throws in the fourth quarter and a tip-in at the regulation buzzer, didn't score in overtime and committed a turnover on an easy pass into the post with 56 seconds left. He had 21 points and 15 boards Tuesday, but went without a field goal for a key 12-minute stretch in the second half, missed two point-blank shots in the closing minutes and was 3-of-6 on free throws in the final period.

``I'm being as aggressive as I can be,'' Duncan said. ``We're not going to force-feed. We're not going to start doing that now. We haven't played like that all season. ... I'm not going to demand the ball.''

Maybe he should. Or maybe Wallace should.

The Pistons are 7-0 this postseason when he scores more than 15 points, 6-6 when he doesn't. Wallace had failed to reach that number in the first five games of this series, but came through with some clutch baskets in Game 6 and finished with 16 points despite being limited to 24 foul-plagued minutes.

Two days earlier, Wallace was the goat after leaving Horry open for the 3-pointer with 5.8 seconds left in overtime that gave San Antonio a 96-95 win.

``We can fight any odds,'' Wallace said. ``You know, a lot of people thought we were going to be out tonight, but -- they had their Cristal ready and all that stuff, but -- hey, we're going to pop it Thursday.''

The battle of backcourts also could be a deciding factor.

Billups has had no problem beating Tony Parker off the dribble, and has consistently hit from outside. He had five of Detroit's eight 3-pointers on Tuesday after the team had made only eight through the first five games.

With another solid performance in a Game 7 victory -- he's averaged a series-high 21.7 points -- Billups could be awarded the NBA Finals MVP trophy for a second straight year.

While Billups scored 21 points in Game 6, Richard Hamilton had 23 as he continued to be productive with mid-range jumpers.

It seems the Spurs can't stop Detroit's backcourt, so San Antonio's guards must respond by finding holes in the Pistons' defense and making better decisions.

Ginobili has been relatively quiet since scoring a combined 53 points in Games 1 and 2. He had 21 on Tuesday, but missed four of five shots in the fourth quarter as he was blocked twice on layup attempts and had an ill-advised 3-point try.

Parker has averaged just 13.7 points in the last three games and has gone 1-for-11 from 3-point range in the series.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich doesn't want his team to rely on long-range shooting. San Antonio attempted a franchise playoff-record 28 3-pointers in Game 6, making eight.

``A lot of those were hurried, a matter of trying to win quickly, skipping steps. They have got to be good shots,'' Popovich said. ``They've got to be open 3s, not hurried 3s. Our 3s were more of a problem, really, than the made 3s they had.''

It was only the third time in 22 games this postseason San Antonio hasn't hit more 3s than its opponent. All three were losses.

Popovich, though, might not mind if Horry keeps shooting them. He's 13-of-27 (48 percent) on 3-pointers through six games, and could be an MVP candidate if the Spurs win Thursday despite averaging just 9.8 points in the series.

In San Antonio's three wins, Horry has averaged 13.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists, about double his averages in the team's three losses.

While Horry shoots for his sixth championship ring, Detroit's Larry Brown is going for his second as he may be closing out his coaching career.

Brown, who moved past Red Auerbach for third on the all-time list with his 100th career playoff win Tuesday, has said he will not coach another team if his health does not improve during the offseason. If he can't coach, Brown is expected to be an executive, maybe with Cleveland or New York.

``I've been with these guys for two years, and they don't disappoint me in terms of their desire to win and their respect for each other,'' Brown said.

While San Antonio hasn't even played a Game 7 since 1990, the Pistons could become the first team in NBA history to win two Game 7s on the road in the same postseason. They beat Miami in the deciding game of the Eastern Conference finals.

Detroit also is trying to join the 1969 Celtics and 1977 Trail Blazers as the only teams to win the NBA Finals after losing the first two games.

``We're just tough as nails,'' Billups said. ``Our motto is, 'If it ain't rough, it ain't right.' We always make it tough on ourselves, but we always find a way to climb out of that foxhole.''

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Pistons - 2nd seed, Eastern Conference; beat Philadelphia 76ers 4-1, first round; beat Indiana Pacers 4-2, conference semifinals; beat Miami Heat 4-3, conference finals. Spurs - 2nd seed, Western Conference; beat Denver Nuggets 4-1, first round; beat Seattle SuperSonics 4-2, conference semifinals; beat Phoenix Suns 4-1, conference finals.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Pistons - Hamilton, 20.3 ppg; Ben Wallace, 11.3 rpg; Billups, 6.4 apg. Spurs - Duncan, 23.5 ppg and 12.5 rpg; Parker, 4.4 apg.

Piston Notes
    The Pistons, who made just 8-of-44 shots from the arc through the first five games of the series, drained 8-of-17 in this one to account for over 25 percent of their points. ... F Tayshaun Prince scored 13 points on 5-of-10 shooting and added seven rebounds and four assists. He has made just under 40 percent (25-of-63) of his shots in the series. ... F Antonio McDyess produced his fourth double-digit scoring effort off the bench in the series with 10 points and eight rebounds in 28 minutes. ... G Chauncey Billups not only scored 21 points, but also had six rebounds, six assists and did not commit a turnover in 39 minutes.

San Antonio Notes
    After scoring 21 points - all in the second half - in his heroic Game Five performance, F Robert Horry scored just eight points in 30 minutes. ... Neither team led by double-digits in Game Six. San Antonio's largest lead was three points, while Detroit led by as many as nine. ... The Spurs have had more turnovers than the Pistons in every game. In Game Six, San Antonio had 11 miscues, while Detroit committed just five. G Tony Parker committed a team-high four turnovers to bring his series total to 21, the same number of assists that he has. ... F Tim Duncan, who had 21 points and 15 rebounds, has posted a double-double in each game of the series. No other Spur had recorded one in the six games until G Manu Ginobili scored 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds on Tuesday.
    VT

detroitdan is offline MotownSports Fan

I have been anxious all day long. I'm really excited, but really nervous as well. I know in my heart that we will win this, but the nervousness is still there. This team is clutch, and they have not let us down in the last few years. I don't expect them to tonight either. Back 2 Back!! GO PISTONS!!
    I want to work for the Detroit Red Wings

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

detroitdan,
    I'm right there. I didn't think too much about the game yesterday or even game #6 until a few hours before the game. Today that's all I am thinking about is the game. Can you tell? The word game is in this post four times.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

SOOOOOOO FIRED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

So who's taping or Tivoing the game?

Taping it for sure.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

SweetLou is offline MotownSports Fan

I need to get me one of those new fangled Tivo majiggy wiggy's. How much do they run, and where do you get them?
    Who is the face in the mirror? She looks at me with empty eyes. The rosy cheeks that gave her warmth, the spirit that charged her soul are gone. She seems consumed by life. The ashen face so lost. A tear runs down her cheek. I lift my hand and wipe her tears away. TUG- Patt

Don't know Sweet Lou. I get the feeling I may be one of the last to get it although I know I'd use it like crazy. I'd have my memory filled within one or two Tiger weeks.

estrepe1 is offline MotownSports Fan

I am really fired up for this game.... GO PISTONS!!!

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

This has been the longest 48 hours of my life...can't even imagine how the players feel. My ulcer is kicking in already. We just need to come out strong and play extremely intense yet very disciplined ball for 4 full quarters and we take home our second championship in a row!

GO PISTONS!!!
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

TiVo is God's idea, with the Devil working out the bugs...I love it, but I can't watch a game real time anymore. It's kind of annoying...everytime my TiVoing catches up I have to watch another Adult Swim cartoon.
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

I just went out and bought a tape....I've got last year's clincher on tape, all 3 Wings clinchers on tape, and the Canadian hockey gold medal win from Salt Lake City too....these will bring back great memories in a few years.

Alright fellas I know you want to be doing this again!

chesterlimon is offline MotownSports Fan

f bill walton
    f tim legler(just picked the spurs)

and

Originally posted by chesterlimon

"{They tryin to say that I don't care}
    I woke up and screamed, "F#@* the world!"
    {They're tryin to say that I don't care}
    I woke up screamin, "F#@* the world!" [Uhh!]
    {They tryin to say that I don't care}
    {They tryin to say that I don't care}
    I woke up screamin, "F#@* the world!"
    {Yeah what's goin on y'all?}
    {Uhh, uhh, uhh..} F#@* the world!

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm off to take care of some stuff before the game. Next time I talk to you guys we will be 2 time defending champs, pretty cool.

GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!
    VT

Just ordered my championship t-shirt off NBA.com.....they have to win now!!!!

JonBenke is offline Released

Default I LOVE THIS PICTURE!

Agh, who cares about some stupid trophy... I WANT TO KEEP THE BELTS!

DE--TROIT .. BA--SKET--BALL!
    Last edited by JonBenke; 06-23-2005 at 07:37 PM.

The Ronz is offline MotownSports Fan

Go Pistons!

Mike Illitch & Crew: You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!!

chesterlimon is offline MotownSports Fan

here we go game time, won't be posting during the game. let's do it boys! GO PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48 minutes to dominate play your game and take home the Championship.

glik420 is offline MotownSports Fan

Originally posted by glik420 6-9-05
    I hate the spurs. Hopefully pistons in 7 just for the whole drama of game 7. I would love to see parker, duncan and ginobli cry after dramatically blowing game 7. Would be great wouldn't it?
    Well so far half of my prediction was right. It's up to the pistons to fulfill the rest of my prophecy. GO PISTONS - Best of luck from a laker fan. I'm serious too. F the spurs.

Why do I get a feeling that the Spurs intro for them may hype the Pistons more than the Spurs?

Okay, I'm a homer.

Todd is offline MotownSports Fan

Originally posted by DTroppens
    Why do I get a feeling that the Spurs intro for them may hype the Pistons more than the Spurs?

Okay, I'm a homer.
    talk about lame player intros .... they dont even have real fire .... and the jock jams soundtrack sucks

Well Duncan needed that start. Hits a runner.

And good news for the Pistons. Ginobli picks up a cheap first foul via Prince. And now SHeed hits over Duncan.

2-2'

Ginobli gives SA a 4-2 lead

Ben makes a funny and sloppy post move Hoop. hey it went in!

4-4

Gringaloca is offline MotownSports Fan

I am sooo psych'd for this game....LETS GO PISTONS!!!

We ARE winning this...backs up against the wall, guys...backs up against the wall... Lets do IT!!

osurower is offline MotownSports Fan

Pretty good looking shot by Ben early in the game.

I'm DVR'ing the game as well.
    Lets never forget Brian Bluhm (estrepe1)

Ohhh nice rainbow post hoop by Ben
    6-4 Pistons

Duncan just turns the ball over.

Ben is a man on a mission drive and layin.
    8-4 Ben has six@

Great start Ben.

Good to see Rip hit an early one.

Ginobli and hamiltonechange hoops.

Duncan passes off a shot and misses and SA missses putbabck.

Billups misses trey Duncan board

SA Ball
    Mohamed misses post move but OB on Ben.

Great, great start. We are very intense.

Nice layin by Chauncey to double up the Spurs 12-6. Excellent start to Game 7.

SDuncan is very tenative again tonight. Check his pants for a loading violation.

Billups posts and hoops it up.

Pistons 12-6 with 6:43 left in the first.

dt35456884 is offline MotownSports Fan

Win these 43 minutes.
    VT - RIP BB

Twitter

I used to have a five-speed stick in one of my cars. Duncan looks to be playing in third geer and doing that rather sloppily at that. Even his first shot he looked very tenative. He's going to have to shake out of that if SA is going to have a shot.

Conversely Ben has been nothing short of awesome to start. Pistons look very strong and look to be embracing this situation. WIth the exception of maybe Ginobli I didn't get that feeling from SA at all. ANd Duncan was the leader for that tenativeness.

Ginobli misses but Duncan gets a putback. Nice play.
    12-8

Hamilton misses a jumper.

SA ball
    Ginobli drives and kicks out to Barry who hits a runner from about six feet
    12-10

Detroit ball
    SA foul. Pistons ball still.

That foul was on Ginboli - his second.

Ben blocked and Horry hits a layin in transition

Det Ball
    Sheed jumper no good

SA ball
    Duncan in post vs. Sheed. Sheed called for a reach in I guess.

Bad shot by Sheed. Fade away 15 f'ters aren't going to get it done.

Billups trips Barry and tha's his second foul

SA Ball
    Duncan in post vs. Ben Nice curl to the baseline but better block by ben.

Time out
    12-12

Ben Wallace = Man on a Mission early.

estrepe,
    Remember what's up with Ben talk after two games? I was wondering myself. Since then - Vintage Ben. This guy has come ready to play tonight. Any question who the leader of this team is?

Gringaloca is offline MotownSports Fan

Originally posted by DTroppens
    estrepe,
    Remember what's up with Ben talk after two games? I was wondering myself. Since then - Vintage Ben. This guy has come ready to play tonight. Any question who the leader of this team is?
    No doubt in my mind...Just put on the #3 Jersey... It's a 'lock' now..

LETS GO PISTONS!!!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast