Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Sources: Detroit Pistons preparing to offer head-coaching job to Maurice Cheeks

Sources: Detroit Pistons preparing to offer head-coaching job to Maurice Cheeks

Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Mo Cheeks has emerged as the strong frontrunner to become the Detroit Pistons' head coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Discussions on a contract could begin soon, league sources said.

Detroit's ownership and management reached a consensus on Cheeks as their choice, league sources said.

Cheeks was a finalist for the job along with another ex-Portland Trail Blazers coach, Nate McMillan.

Detroit let go of Lawrence Frank after two seasons as head coach in April.

Cheeks, who has been on staff with the Thunder for four seasons, has had two previous stints as an NBA head coach with Portland (2001-05) and Philadelphia (2005-08). He reached the playoffs twice in Portland ('02 and '03) and once in Philadelphia ('08). His career record is 284-286.
    Woj is a top notch reporter. So this is most likely true.

https://twitter.com/vgoodwill/status/342803949021184001

Sources: Deal with Cheeks could get done tonight. #Pistons

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't hate it and I'll give Cheeks a fair shot, but I must say he doesn't excite me like Karl would have, or even Hollins.

EatEmUpTigers711 is offline MotownSports Fan

Hollins doesn't want to leave Memphis, but if he did, the Pistons aren't going to be at the top of his list over the teams who have the talent to potentially contend right away.

Why would Karl excite you? Because he won Coach of the Year, for the first time in his almost 30 year coaching career, just to get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs? Check his track record the past 15 years....his teams have gotten out of the first round only 3 times. Career, he's reached the Finals once....and lost....nothing to get too excited about.

Cheeks hasn't coached for as long as Karl, but his outcome has pretty much been the same as Karl for the most part. Either miss the playoffs, or make it & lose in the first round. Only thing Karl beats him in, besides coaching for longer, is having better teams & still not getting the job done.
    2012 Adopt-A-Tiger - Ryan Strieby
    2011 Adopt-A-Lion - #26 Louis Delmas - 51 Tackles

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

A guy like Cheeks is par for the course for a situation like the Pistons are in. 8th seeded 1st round playoffs exits might not sound appealing, but that's what the Pistons are shooting for.

I'm not even going to blame Joe for this one. This one is on Gores.

Joe is what he is. A GM who is extremely loyal to his players and puts almost zero blame on them. He is a GM that will whack coaches left and right and continue on with pretty much the same player base no matter what. Yes, he has now moved on from Rip and Prince but it was far too late and he already has that reputation now. If this team struggles and continues to lose the next two years, Joe won't blame the players, he will blame Cheeks. Coaches see that and nobody in their right mind will want to coach here. I used to think there are only 30 jobs like this in the world, so Joe firing coaches right and left wont matter, guys will still want the job. I was wrong.

It sounds like I'm blaming Joe, but I'm really not. He is just being who he is. This is on Gores for not firing him and bringing in a new GM and then maybe, you could have attracted some better coaching candidates.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately Del, the book on Gores as an owner is a few chapters in now, and it stinks. I don't think he has done a good job. He doesn't seem to understand anything about sports.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Unfortunately Del, the book on Gores as an owner is a few chapters in now, and it stinks. I don't think he has done a good job. He doesn't seem to understand anything about sports.
    I really want to give him a chance. But I'm starting to agree with this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    When he came in and said "Joe is my guy," I didn't think much of it, new owner wanting to get his feet wet with a GM who won a championship. But since that day he has only stuck his nose in the business long enough to make Joe's job harder as a GM. Obviously I have been no Dumars fanboy, but I do think Gores is making it difficult for Joe to act with autonomy.

I mean, what is Gores plan? What does he actually think he is accomplishing by making the executive picture of the Pistons as clear as mud?

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Just imagine how bad the hire would be if Phil Jackson didn't grace the Pistons with his basketball knowledge.

Blog Entries

I'm starting to think Gores regards the Pistons more of an investment than an opportunity to compete and win.

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Gores is gonna move the Pistons to California. That's his master plan...get all the Piston fans disinterested in the team and then move it....

At least we'll be in the running for Wiggins/Parker/Randle/etc?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MC24 View Post
    Gores is gonna move the Pistons to California. That's his master plan...get all the Piston fans disinterested in the team and then move it....

At least we'll be in the running for Wiggins/Parker/Randle/etc?
    Well at least until be finish the season 9-1 and work our way into the 8-9 slot of the draft. Is the pick to the bobcats lottery protected this year too?

Well at least until be finish the season 9-1 and work our way into the 8-9 slot of the draft. Is the pick to the bobcats lottery protected this year too?
    Next year its top 8 protected. So if they end up 9th...

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think it's top 8 protected next year. Not 100% sure though.

Blog Entries

Oh man, so we could miss the playoffs and get the 9th pick and then have no 1st rounder...all to get rid of Ben Gordon. Egregious.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    I'm starting to think Gores regards the Pistons more of an investment than an opportunity to compete and win.
    Very possible. But you would think an astute investor (And thats what Gores is) would understand that winning is the best way to up his ROI.

Blog Entries

It's only first overall protected in two years, so they will be losing a first round pick soon.

Oh man, so we could miss the playoffs and get the 9th pick and then have no 1st rounder...all to get rid of Ben Gordon. Egregious.
    You are overlooking the best part. It gave Dumars a bunch of money to spend this summer!

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I will give them one more year to see what happens.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    I will give them one more year to see what happens.
    The problem is, you're really giving them 3-4 more seasons.

Keeping Dumars you let him A) Hire a new coach who will be here at least 2 years. And B) Use that cap space to sign guys for the next 3-4 years.

So even if you fire Dumars next summer his fingerprints are all over this team for the next 4 years.

With the coaching vacancy and the cap space to reshape the roster, this was the summer to fire Dumars.

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

Very possible. But you would think an astute investor (And thats what Gores is) would understand that winning is the best way to up his ROI.
    Have the Sac Kings really been "good" the last few years to where all the money they just sold for was worth it?
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Ć

Quote Originally Posted by PuNk42AE View Post
    Have the Sac Kings really been "good" the last few years to where all the money they just sold for was worth it?
    Different circumstances. Different market. Also, that price was driven sky high because a group from Seattle wanted to buy and move them.

Add a title or two in the last 10-20 years and a winning culture and the Kings value is worth even more than what it sold for.

Also, if Gores really wants to make money on the Pistons its imperative they make the playoffs.

A teams biggest yearly expense is player salaries. Players are paid for the regular season and not the playoffs. Well, a team gets a playoff cut for each round they win in the playoffs, but that comes from the league.

So a great way to make money for a team owner is hosting playoff games. The product that costs you the most is on the floor earning you money and its not costing you a dime. Playoff games are pure profit for teams. Hosting 6-8 playoff games in a year could put your team in the black for the year.

Blog Entries

The problem is, you're really giving them 3-4 more seasons.

Keeping Dumars you let him A) Hire a new coach who will be here at least 2 years. And B) Use that cap space to sign guys for the next 3-4 years.

So even if you fire Dumars next summer his fingerprints are all over this team for the next 4 years.

With the coaching vacancy and the cap space to reshape the roster, this was the summer to fire Dumars.
    So...what happens if the Pistons go 45-37 next year make the playoffs and win one series?
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

So...what happens if the Pistons go 45-37 next year make the playoffs and win one series?
    What if they dont?

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Just imagine how bad the hire would be if Phil Jackson didn't grace the Pistons with his basketball knowledge.
    Imagine if we knew what Jackson discussed with the Pistons, and who he recommended/why he recommended him. Or we can just imagine we know what happened and run with that.

You are overlooking the best part. It gave Dumars a bunch of money to spend this summer!
    Can't he use that money to acquire a pick, as you suggested in another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitCity313 View Post
    Can't he use that money to acquire a pick, as you suggested in another thread?
    Yeah, I guess I could have worded that better. But even adding a pick is still spending money.

Yeah, I guess I could have worded that better. But even adding a pick is still spending money.
    I would guess Joe D and Gores just wanted to get Gordon out of here. He had a bad attitude and was part of the horrible team culture. I am sure they explored every way possible to get rid of the guy.

Blog Entries

What if they dont?
    You first.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitCity313 View Post
    I would guess Joe D and Gores just wanted to get Gordon out of here. He had a bad attitude and was part of the horrible team culture. I am sure they explored every way possible to get rid of the guy.
    Well, it was more than that even. They wanted to save $14M which I can understand. Because they could have used amnesty on him.

Like I said, as a businessman I can understand the move. As a fan, I hate it.

You first.
    Why? The Pistons improving 18 games YOY would be pretty amazing and very unlikely. On top of that they would be a 5-7 seed and have to beat a higher seed in the playoffs without home court advantage. Even more unlikely. I would guess the odds of those two things happening are slim to none.

If it does, great job.

Blog Entries

Why? The Pistons improving 18 games YOY would be pretty amazing and very unlikely. On top of that they would be a 5-7 seed and have to beat a higher seed in the playoffs without home court advantage. Even more unlikely. I would guess the odds of those two things happening are slim to none.

If it does, great job.
    Because I asked first and that is how polite conversations go.

And if that last sentence was the answer then the answer to your question would be:

bad job

Because I asked first and that is how polite conversations go.

And if that last sentence was the answer then the answer to your question would be:

bad job
    Which screws you for the next 3-4 years, like I said.

Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

I have to say that I'm not terribly excited about this. This team needs a disciplinary, defensive minded coach. Cheeks has the perfect role in OKC because the assistant coach gets to be the player's friend. He's a nice guy. I don't want a nice guy coach in here. We need an identity and we need to bring back hard working basketball. Cheeks never struck me as that guy. I would have been happier with McMillan, Hollins, Shaw, or even Laimbeer.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by EatEmUpTigers711 View Post
    Hollins doesn't want to leave Memphis, but if he did, the Pistons aren't going to be at the top of his list over the teams who have the talent to potentially contend right away.

Why would Karl excite you? Because he won Coach of the Year, for the first time in his almost 30 year coaching career, just to get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs? Check his track record the past 15 years....his teams have gotten out of the first round only 3 times. Career, he's reached the Finals once....and lost....nothing to get too excited about.

Cheeks hasn't coached for as long as Karl, but his outcome has pretty much been the same as Karl for the most part. Either miss the playoffs, or make it & lose in the first round. Only thing Karl beats him in, besides coaching for longer, is having better teams & still not getting the job done.
    Because he's made the playoffs ever year in Denver, without a star for the last few years, has had some level of success everywhere he's been(even took Milwaukee to ECF) and because he's known to be a motivator for guys who have trouble self motivating(from Shawn Kemp to JR Smith) and that could help with Drummond. I don't know how he doesn't excite you. Unless you are getting Poppovich or Jackson, there aren't many better resumes out there.

Blog Entries

Which screws you for the next 3-4 years, like I said.
    and if this happens:

What do you think it does for the organization?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast