Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Betrayer is offline MotownSports Fan

Interesting stats. Take a look at those lists and the names that are below Jack on them. It might surprise you. Guys like Brandon Jennings, Mike Conley, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lilard, Jameer Nelson, Ricky Rubio, everyone's favorite (on this board) Eric Bledsoe, and many others.

Jack's not a superstar. He's not an all-star. He's not even a great player. But I think I can safely call him a "good" player.

Whether or not he's the right guy for the Pistons is another question. The problem is that the guy we truly need wouldn't even consider coming here and it's a huge drop between that guy and the crop we'll get to choose from. I'm not sure if I like Calderon or Jack better. Flip a coin. Teague seems to be on the rise, but he's not coming here either. Neither is Brandon Jennings - though I'm not sure if I'd want him anyway. We aren't left with much to choose from.

Maybe we'll draft a PG and our connection with Phil Jackson will allow us to grab Derek Fisher as a bench veteran to help teach him. Then again, I'm probably grasping at straws on that one since I'm not sure if I even like any of the PGs in the draft.

Or maybe we should be looking at trades instead, since it'll be easier to convince a GM to send us a star rather than trying to convince a star to come here on his own.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    Ranked 22nd in guards for AST%. I filtered it by at least 1500 minutes played.

Player Season Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Ranked 36th in TS%, just for guards.

And just for Nastradamus, lets use PER and Win Shares!

37th in PER, just for guards.

29th in WS/48, just for guards.

Jack is not a good basketball player. He is a below average starter and a above average bench player.
    FTR, you have made me feel like an idiot once again when it come to finding information/stats. I could never figure out why I could only find top 10 leaderboards on BR and nothing beyond that. So for this I thank you.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    FTR, you have made me feel like an idiot once again when it come to finding information/stats. I could never figure out why I could only find top 10 leaderboards on BR and nothing beyond that. So for this I thank you.
    I love that website, but man what a terrible design. I had the same problem you did for a long time and it was frustrating as hell.

I love that website, but man what a terrible design. I had the same problem you did for a long time and it was frustrating as hell.
    Yah, they need to re-do the design or something.

Gani Lawal Intrigues NBA Teams After Breakout Season In Italy - RealGM Wiretap

Somewhat intriguing. But no mention of the Pistons.

I have to admit I really liked him as prospect. Thought he'd be a 3rd big type for 10 years in the NBA

Chart of the conference finalists and how they acquired their talent.

Just shows the percentage of minutes played in the playoffs by how they were acquired. A player needed a minimum of 50 minutes played to be counted.

I forgot to do undrafted free agents and was too lazy to go back and redo it.

Some players could go multiple ways, Hibbert being a good example. Technically he was traded from Toronto. But it was something like 13 days after he was drafted, so I counted that as a draft choice for Indiana.

Bosh and James were technically traded. But that was just so they could get longer and more expensive contracts. I counted them as free agents.

The second chart is the same thing but it was for last years final four teams.

Its funny, people still think the deal that sent Pau Gasol to LAL was some one sided deal when in fact it lead to Memphis getting Randolph and M.Gasol, amongst others. I think it ended up being Greivis Vasquez(traded for Pondexter who's in their rotation) and Darrell Arthur along with Javaris Crittendon.

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

what did Toronto and Cleveland get back for those guys?
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    what did Toronto and Cleveland get back for those guys?
    James:

Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Miami Heat for a 2011 2nd round draft pick (Milan Macvan), a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Jae Crowder), a future 1st round draft pick and a future 1st round draft pick. Cleveland also received a trade exception from Miami. Cleveland had the option to swap 1st round draft picks with Miami in 2012 but did not do so.
    Bosh:

July 10, 2010: Traded by the Toronto Raptors to the Miami Heat for a 2011 1st round draft pick (Norris Cole) and a 2011 1st round draft pick (Jonas Valanciunas). Toronto also received a trade exception from Miami.
    Kinda funny Cole ended up being traded to Miami. Here is how.

July 10, 2010: Traded by the Miami Heat (as a 2011 1st round draft pick) with a 2011 1st round draft pick (Jonas Valanciunas) to the Toronto Raptors for Chris Bosh. Toronto also received a trade exception from Miami.

February 22, 2011: Traded by the Toronto Raptors (as a 2011 1st round draft pick) to the Chicago Bulls for James Johnson.

June 23, 2011: Drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the 1st round (28th pick) of the 2011 NBA Draft.

June 23, 2011: Traded by the Chicago Bulls with Malcolm Lee and cash to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Nikola Mirotic.

June 23, 2011: Traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves with cash and a future 2nd round draft pick to the Miami Heat for Bojan Bogdanovic.

also IIRC, the Valanciunas pick was Toronto's pick originally, maybe from the Marion deal or something like that.

Media Circus: Bad Boys hit the screen; ESPN has no plans to lose NBA - More Sports - Richard Deitsch - SI.com

Dion Cocoros, the senior vice president of original production for NBA Entertainment, told SI.com that the film is in the pre-production phrase. His group is currently creating an interview list and culling through the video archives they have on Detroit from those years. They've already met with the Pistons organization -- who are giving it their full support -- and Cocoros has reached out to Dumars, Laimbeer and Thomas. The interview process for all subjects is expected to begin this summer. (Cocoros said his group plans to ask Michael Jordan to participate, given his role in the Pistons dynasty and ultimately ending it.) "The beauty of the Pistons run is they kind of touched the era the Celtics, Lakers and the Bulls," said Cocoros. "Their reach touches all of three of those organizations in terms of who they had to get past to become champions, and who had to beat them to take the throne."

Cocoros said he's already discovered never-before-seen footage of the team inside the locker room before and after games, as well as compelling footage of Chuck Daly's huddles. "The way this team went about their business kind of mirrored the city -- the toughness and the blue-collar work ethic," Cocoros said. "We will look at what was going on in Detroit in the 1980s. There is a lot of parallel to the time period and this film will bring that story to life."

More at the link
    It will air next year during the playoffs.

Good info. If he can become an 18/10 guy(pretty much already has the 10 down), it puts his value in perspective.

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I figured I'd stick it here:

Brandon Knight made an off-season appearance today on the new XBox console reveal...getting his ankles broken by Kyrie Irving.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

If the Pistons get another reliable scoring option, I expect those numbers to decrease. I also expect them to decrease as Drummond's minutes increase.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Here's the situation I can't wait to see. Suppose Drummond really becomes a stud this year, being relatively dominant down low. Probalby not completely unrealistic right? Well, what would you want next to a guy like that more than a stretch 4? So Charlie V has a pretty good season, complement Drummond well, and then he hits free agency. Does Joe re-sign him? I'd be amused I must say.

I remember Cheeks being a real shooting star on the coaching scene at one point but I don't remember him having great success. Didn't his career get derailed by Iverson to some extent? He'd have that in common with Dumars it seems.

Pistons' coach search moves ahead with Maurice Cheeks interview | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

But as the Pistons concluded their interview with Oklahoma City assistant Maurice Cheeks Wednesday, their first face-to-face meeting after phone conversations while the Thunder were still in the playoffs, it appears they won't be bringing in any more candidates, a source tells The Detroit News.

"We're still in the process of it. We don't have a timetable," Pistons president Joe Dumars said during a teleconference with media after the NBA draft lottery, where it was determined the Pistons would be selecting eighth in next month's draft.

It's a timetable that doesn't have a lead candidate, although one can surmise Nate McMillan, former coach of the Seattle Supersonics and Portland Trail Blazers, has the best resume. His Portland teams averaged 50 wins in his last three full seasons there, after the franchise recovered from the "Jail Blazers" era of the early 2000s.

More at the link
    So its Cheeks, McMillan, Bickerstaff, Budwhateverhisnameis from SA, who else am I missing? They didn't talk to Shaw so I imagine he is out.

Vincent Goodwill is doing a live chat right now. He said he would be shocked if Stuckey is on the roster to start training camp.

Do we think the Serbian guy is a possibility still since he's probably been under more direct conversation over the past year or so since he's been brought in so many times?

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Vincent Goodwill is doing a live chat right now. He said he would be shocked if Stuckey is on the roster to start training camp.
    Trade or cut?

Do we think the Serbian guy is a possibility still since he's probably been under more direct conversation over the past year or so since he's been brought in so many times?
    His name hasn't come up much lately.

I think it doesn't happen simply because Joe has to get this one right. I know that guy is a good coach, but Joe can't really take a chance on this one. Maybe 3 coaches ago he could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    Trade or cut?
    He didn't say which.

No way Stuckey is cut IMO.

I like our final list of coaches. I'd probably be ok with any of them. Are we sure we didn't talk to Shaw though? The same article that said we didn't talk to Shaw said we didn't talk to Cheeks, who is now getting a 2nd interview.

I like our final list of coaches. I'd probably be ok with any of them. Are we sure we didn't talk to Shaw though? The same article that said we didn't talk to Shaw said we didn't talk to Cheeks, who is now getting a 2nd interview.
    It says they talked to Cheeks via the telephone and this is his first face to face. If they asked to talk with Shaw it most likely would have leaked.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

I could see them cutting him for the $ savings, but only if they need the $ for a trade where they are taking on $.
    Micah 7:7

Quote Originally Posted by 4hzglory View Post
    I could see them cutting him for the $ savings, but only if they need the $ for a trade where they are taking on $.
    They don't save money by cutting him.

Obviously the first option is to trade him for something. But Stuckey is a bit of a sour puss and malcontent. If they can't trade him they might just cut him so they don't straddle the new coach with his attitude.

They don't save money by cutting him.
    Only $4M of his $8M is guaranteed.

So, by cutting him we would gain 8 million in cap space. Is that correct? That would put us at 33M free. I really hope Joe can dig up some trades or Chris Paul suddenly decides to follow in Isiah's footsteps, otherwise we'd be looking at a lot of cash with nobody worth spending it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    So, by cutting him we would gain 8 million in cap space. Is that correct? That would put us at 33M free. I really hope Joe can dig up some trades or Chris Paul suddenly decides to follow in Isiah's footsteps, otherwise we'd be looking at a lot of cash with nobody worth spending it on.
    No, it would create $4M in cap space. When you cut someone you have to count their guaranteed money against the cap. Since only $4M is guaranteed it would save them $4M since his deal calls for him to be paid $8M this year.

Technically it could give them $6M in space if they "stretch" his money. The CBA gives them a provision to "stretch" his guaranteed money for twice the number of years left on his contract. 1 year left and $4M could end up being $2M per year for the next 2 years.

exactly...what would be the point of cutting him if we don't have the FA's worthy of spending it on? His trade value is rock bottom right now. We're better off giving him another shot to prove his value. Regardless, he'll be an expiring contract that has got to be valuable to another team mid-season.

4hzglory is offline MotownSports Fan

exactly...what would be the point of cutting him if we don't have the FA's worthy of spending it on? His trade value is rock bottom right now. We're better off giving him another shot to prove his value. Regardless, he'll be an expiring contract that has got to be valuable to another team mid-season.
    If that $4 mil is the difference in completing a trade that gets us picks or a player we want, them by all means cut him. I wouldn't cut him just to get an the extra $ if there wasn't a use for it. Unless of course they have determined he is a cancer, in which case it isn't about the cap space, but the cash.
    Micah 7:7

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Wow. What insight from Phil Jackson. Hire the guy who used to work/play for me.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast