Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Default Greg Monroe blasts Pistons' effort after blowout

Los Angeles 129, Detroit 97: Greg Monroe blasts Pistons' effort after blowout | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The “effort” angered Pistons center Greg Monroe as he blasted the team.

“Maybe guys don’t care,” Monroe said. “Something has to change, though. This can’t continue. If you don’t want to play, just say it. This has got to stop. It’s unacceptable.

“If you don’t want to play, you should say it. This is unacceptable. It’s gone on too long. If you don’t want to be on the court, if you aren’t going to give 100% on the court, then just don’t play.”

More at the link
    Dabishop touched on this in the game thread.

Never good when players start talking like this.
    VT

DTroppens is online now MotownSports Fan

They showed a stat during last night's game. I think Monroe was third in the NBA for most points scored in the paint this season. I want to say LeBron was No. 1. Maybe Monroe was No. 2. I can't remember who No. 2 was. He was No. 2 or No. 3 - can't remember exactly which one.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Last time I heard, Monroe was #2 behind LeBron. It is possible he dropped down though.
    VT

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    They showed a stat during last night's game. I think Monroe was third in the NBA for most points scored in the paint this season. I want to say LeBron was No. 1. Maybe Monroe was No. 2. I can't remember who No. 2 was. He was No. 2 or No. 3 - can't remember exactly which one.
    Well, that and the Pistons had the #1 defense in the league in the first quarter, with Monroe.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    Well, that and the Pistons had the #1 defense in the league in the first quarter, with Monroe.
    I would love to see a link to that.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    I would love to see a link to that.
    Kelser/Blaha ranted on it for a while, was before Calderon joined the team though, they allowed the lowest points and lowest opponents FG% in the first quarter.

Last time I heard, Monroe was #2 behind LeBron. It is possible he dropped down though.
    I should've taken a mental note of the list better than I did, when they showed it. At the time, I had the volume down to nearly 0 and just got lucky to catch the graphic at all. Either way, No. 2 or No. 3 - that's not chopped liver. And it tells you the story of his season. He is producing in the paint and is probably doing it better (at least in terms of raw number of points) than any traditional big man/post player. David Lee was below him on the list, but was in the top five. I want to say No. 4. Think Wade was No. 5.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Kelser/Blaha ranted on it for a while, was before Calderon joined the team though, they allowed the lowest points and lowest opponents FG% in the first quarter.
    NBA.com has them 10th in the first quarter right now. I cant break it down by players, but safe to say Monroe makes up a good chunk of those minutes.

Pretty good and better than I expected.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    I should've taken a mental note of the list better than I did, when they showed it. At the time, I had the volume down to nearly 0 and just got lucky to catch the graphic at all. Either way, No. 2 or No. 3 - that's not chopped liver. And it tells you the story of his season. He is producing in the paint and is probably doing it better (at least in terms of raw number of points) than any traditional big man/post player. David Lee was below him on the list, but was in the top five. I want to say No. 4. Think Wade was No. 5.
    He does some serious work in the paint, thats for sure. Here is his shot chart for the year. He only has one other zone on the floor where he attempted more than 30 shots from.

VT

Yeah, the Pistons are 3.3 points better on defense with Monroe on the floor. But the flip side, and one nobody probably wants to discuss, is the fact they are 5.3 points better on offense with Monroe off the floor.
    VT

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

So who are the players that aren't giving effort? Obviously Stuckey is one, but he has always been lazy on the court.

When you are losing games by 30+ and are out of them by the 2nd quarter, is anyone really giving a good effort?
    VT

Blog Entries

When you are losing games by 30+ and are out of them by the 2nd quarter, is anyone really giving a good effort?
    Most often? No, not at all. But I am sure Monroe has some specifics in mind, which is what I am interested in. Because just from watching, Monroe looks just as disengaged as the rest of them. Only 2 players stand out for me in terms of energy level. Knight, he is always moving and going. Stuckey, he is a malcontent and will never give 100% effort.

Drummond obviously goes 100%, but he isn't playing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    Most often? No, not at all. But I am sure Monroe has some specifics in mind, which is what I am interested in. Because just from watching, Monroe looks just as disengaged as the rest of them. Only 2 players stand out for me in terms of energy level. Knight, he is always moving and going. Stuckey, he is a malcontent and will never give 100% effort.

I took his statement to be a general statement about the team more than a specific statement about individual players.
    VT

I'd love to see Drummond play at a time when things are starting to sour. I wonder if push came to shove if we'd still see 100 percent out of him. You'd hope that would be the case but I wouldn't mind seeing him face this type of adversity and seeing how he comes out within it.

Some of this Monroe talk might have something to do with a conversation I heard with one of the assistant coaches recently. They want to see who steps up and becomes a leader now that Prince is gone (the leader just because he was around during the "Going to Work" era). And it was hinted that Monroe was hoped to become one of those players. There have been other eras where one could question the team's effort since Monroe has been on the team, but he hasn't done it in the past. I'm sure the coaching staff and the Pistons want Monroe to become one of those leader types. And I wonder if this reaction by Monroe is him trying to fill that role, right or wrong.

Betrayer is online now MotownSports Fan

Comments like this are not good right before we go into an off-season with a lot of cash to burn. Detroit is already a destination that most big time guys won't consider.

This is part of the problem with wanting a team to just tank for a higher pick in the draft. That stench of losing goes far beyond the W/L column. It messes with the team mentally, forces the good players to move on, and doesn't do much for attracting new talent. As much as there's a part of me that's happy we're dropping games right now, I'm also concerned about what that's going to mean for us in the future.
    Matt Millen never left Detroit - he just started wearing a very convincing Joe Dumars costume.

MC24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually, that is one thing he needs to work on. He doesn't give it his all every minute on the court - I've noticed that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MC24 View Post
    Actually, that is one thing he needs to work on. He doesn't give it his all every minute on the court - I've noticed that.
    I guess I have noticed just the opposite. He isn't always in position, but it appears his motor is always going.

Drummond had some spots this year where he didn't appear 100% into it. Could have been fatigue. Hard to say since Frank generally yanked him pretty fast when it happened.
    VT

DaBishop is offline MotownSports Fan

Yeah, the Pistons are 3.3 points better on defense with Monroe on the floor. But the flip side, and one nobody probably wants to discuss, is the fact they are 5.3 points better on offense with Monroe off the floor.
    I also think they're running a much faster pace offense and playing less defense with the 2nd team and when Monroe is off the floor. Just a thought
    Tigerbrand coffee is a real treat, even tigers prefer it to real meat.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBishop View Post
    I also think they're running a much faster pace offense and playing less defense with the 2nd team and when Monroe is off the floor. Just a thought
    My bad for not saying, but my stats were per 100 possessions so pace shouldn't be a factor.

For offense they score 98.5 points per/100 with Monroe on and 103.5 per/100 with him off. Defense is 103.8 per/100 on and 106.9 per/100 off.

I was more than a little shocked by those numbers.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by MC24 View Post
    Not when he has been on the Pistons, that was the knock when he came out, but he gives max effort to the point of exhaustion. I think you are confusing effort with exhaustion, his stamina needs work. If anything he needs to learn to pace himself better, instead of running up and down the court full speed each time.

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

Good for Monroe. Someone on this team needed to step up and take the leadership role. While Monroe didn’t look good yesterday, I am glad he is taking it on himself to be the leader of this team.

As far as Drummond’s effort, he was getting gassed quite a bit. There were stretches where he went so hard that you could literally see him gasping for air before being taken out of the game. He obviously had some stamina issues he needed to work on.

The worst example of that was Kravstov, and when interviewed by Ryan Fields before a game earlier this season he laughed and said something to the effect of “I wasn’t in shape in the beginning of the year, I could hardly play 5 minutes.” He acted as if that is something to be proud of.

Guys like Stuckey and Charlie V are on their way out of this team in a year or 2 years max. They are the biggest culprits of the “half-assed” syndrome I see.

I gotta admit, its funny hearing Monroe say this after that **** game he had.
    VT