DL Fluellen, Andre - Agreed to one-year deal with Chicago Bears
    OL Gandy, Dylan - Re-signed by Lions , 1-year
    K Hanson, Jason - retired
    P Harris, Nick
    TE Heller, Will
    DT Hill, Sammie - Signed by Tennessee Titans
    T Hilliard, Corey - Re-signed by Lions, 2-year contract
    CB Houston, Chris Re-signed by Lions, reported for 5-years
    DE Jackson, Lawrence - Signed with Minnesota Vikings !
    CB Lacey, Jacob - Signed by Minnesota Vikings
    CB Lee, Pat
    OLB Levy, DeAndre - Re-signed by Lions , three-year contract
    KR Logan, Stefan
    LS Muhlbach, Don - Re-signed by the Lions, 1-year
    WR Osgood, Kasim - Agreed to terms, one-year with Lions.
    LB Palmer, Ashley - Re-signed by Lions
    RB Smith, Kevin
    DT Williams, Cory

Restricted

RB Bell , Joique - Tendered a contract
    DB Carey, Don- Re-signed by Lions
    WR Durham, Kris - Re-signed by Lions.
    T Fox, Jason - Tendered a contract
    S Silva, Ricardo - Re-signed by Lions.
    S Spievey, Amari - Re-signed by Lions
    DE Young, Willie - Tendered a contract
    Last edited by Scottish caveman; 04-29-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

DE Avril, Cliff: BYE
    T Cherilus, Gosder: BYE
    S Delmas, Louis: Stay
    OLB Durant, Justin: Stay
    CB Florence, Drayton: Bye
    OL Gandy, Dylan: Bye
    K Hanson, Jason: Will never leave
    P Harris, Nick: Who cares?
    TE Heller, Will: Bye
    DT Hill, Sammie: Might be too expensive
    CB Houston, Chris: Stay
    DE Jackson, Lawrence: Stay
    CB Lacey, Jacob: Bye
    CB Lee, Pat: who?
    OLB Levy, DeAndre: Will probably be back
    KR Logan, Stefan: Bye
    LS Muhlbach, Don: who cares?
    WR Osgood, Kasim: Bye
    LB Palmer, Ashley: Bye
    RB Smith, Kevin: Bye
    DT Williams, Cory: Will probably be too expensive

Restricted

RB Bell , Joique: Stay
    DB Carey, Don" Bye
    WR Durham, Kris: Bye
    T Fox, Jason: Probably bye
    S Silva, Ricardo: Bye
    S Spievey, Amari: Bye
    DE Young, Willie: Stay
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

tigerkid23 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post

Restricted

DB Carey, Don" Bye
    Agree with all of these. I might take a took at Gosder depending on the terms. PFF has him rated out as an average all-around tackle and those can be tough to find. There really isn't a natural replacement on the roster either unless you give Backus another year and play Reiff there. That said, it wouldn't break my heart by any means if they let him go.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~ Tom Clark

nikopolidis is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree with that assestment as well,but they better re-sign at least one of the two DT's. Preferably Sammie when factoring in age

It will be interesting to see what Delmas gets. He's had one really good stretch of games, but he has been hurt all season and when he played he wasn't the same player he was last year. Have injuries killed his career? Or can he return to being Bob Sanders 2.0?

I suspect they'll resign or franchise him.

If someone wants to sign Avril, please, go right ahead. The Lions were smart not to sign him to a long term deal and, conversely, Avril was not smart to not take the Lions offer. I would be surprised if he got a better deal on the open market. But stranger things have happened.

Their two outside linebackers are both free agents. Neither one is that impressive but what's the alternative? Are they going to count on internal improvement from last year's draft picks? Bring back tired old Ashlee Palmer? Draft Te'o and stick him outside for a season until they cut Tulloch after next year?

Hey, the corpse of Brian Urlacher will be available...he cant be any worse than Levy/Durant.

And really, how much money do the Lions really have to spend? Not a lot. Of course, it will be more after they cut Vandenbosch and put him out of his misery.

It will be interesting to see what Delmas gets. He's had one really good stretch of games, but he has been hurt all season and when he played he wasn't the same player he was last year. Have injuries killed his career? Or can he return to being Bob Sanders 2.0?

I suspect they'll resign or franchise him.

If someone wants to sign Avril, please, go right ahead. The Lions were smart not to sign him to a long term deal and, conversely, Avril was not smart to not take the Lions offer. I would be surprised if he got a better deal on the open market. But stranger things have happened.

Their two outside linebackers are both free agents. Neither one is that impressive but what's the alternative? Are they going to count on internal improvement from last year's draft picks? Bring back tired old Ashlee Palmer? Draft Te'o and stick him outside for a season until they cut Tulloch after next year?

Hey, the corpse of Brian Urlacher will be available...he cant be any worse than Levy/Durant.

And really, how much money do the Lions really have to spend? Not a lot. Of course, it will be more after they cut Vandenbosch and put him out of his misery.
    They're going to have to give Stafford a new deal in order to create some space. His cap hit jumps up to $20 million next season.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~ Tom Clark

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

I would let Delmas go at this point. Can't stay healthy and hasn't played that well when healthy this year. Save the money and find someone else. Avril can walk after turning down 10 million a year, he's a fool. Goodbye Corey Williams. I would try to resign Houston if it's reasonable. Can probably bring Jackson back cheap and maybe Hill. No reason to bring back Cherilus when you have Reiff to take his spot. Bring back one of Levy and Durant, not both.

They are so stuck due to the contracts they have with CJ, Stafford, and Suh and the raises two of those will bring in the next couple of years. They absolutely must have a great draft this year and bring in two or three good young players to help right away. Unless there is a no brainer at the cornerback or saftey spot, I want Teo with our first pick. Means they don't have to resign Levy or Durant and he takes over for Tulloch once his contract runs out. Obviously this could change by April but he would be a great piece.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

nd1377 is offline MotownSports Fan

If Cherilus leaves, the Lions would probably have to keep Fox.

Another thread was started about Jake Long. I am probably dreaming, but Jake Long would be great for the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Rock City View Post
    Unless there is a no brainer at the cornerback or saftey spot, I want Teo with our first pick. Means they don't have to resign Levy or Durant and he takes over for Tulloch once his contract runs out. Obviously this could change by April but he would be a great piece.
    2013 NFL draft - Jarvis Jones holds his top spot on the Big Board - ESPN

This is what Mel Kiper wrote about Te'o:

The Bama game will be a showcase, but Te'o's reel is already full. Has exceptional instincts, a ton of experience and the ability to read the game. Can attack the backfield. Te'o is a big, strong, prepared tackling presence in the middle of the field. With off-the-charts intangibles, he is the future leader of an NFL defense.
    The thing I like about him is what I bolded. The Lions seem to be missing a true leader on defense.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Only if the price is right here. He's great when he's on the field, but he just can't seem to stay there.
    Depends on how much he wants. With as bad as our secondary is, if we can get him relatively cheap, do it.
    Hopefully no one looks at him as a potential starter and we can keep him for backup money.
    I'd like to keep Palmer if possible for a good price. He's good on special teams and provides depth at a position were we need it.

Restricted
    DB Carey, Don" Bye
    He's doing to stay, if only on the Practise squad. Too close to Stafford.
    Other then were indicated, I agree with you for the most part.

Scottish caveman is offline MotownSports Fan

According to Birkett, the Lions, before any contract reconstructions, have 7 million , UNDER the cap......That's all !!!

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Gotta keep Houston,Cherilus and probably Avril(11 sack guys don't fall off trees and its arguably the most important position on our defense).

Prefer to keep Delmas, but only on a short incentive laden deal. If he gets a big offer, bye.

Levy can walk, Durant can stay as a 2 down SLB if its cheap.

Jackson I'd like back for backup money. Same for Hill to some degree, but if you are going to play Suh at DE more and rotate DL a lot, you can pay him low level starter money.

Williams,KVB and Backus should be cut for cap room

Pay Hanson, period

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Pay Hanson, period
    Many years ago I read something about the Lions actually paying their kickers more than the average around the league. That was supposedly why they have been able to acquire and retain good kickers.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Delmas will probably get franchised for 6 million, which is a good deal to me since they will only be commited to one year and get to see if he can get healthy. The Lions are likely to lose quite a bit this year, and last year's draft class (especially the two LB's) were in preparation for that. That should mean the Lions should get quite a few comp picks next year, also. Comp picks are a good way of getting decent talent cheaply.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

Comp picks so they can draft two more running backs, a tight end and another wide receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    Delmas will probably get franchised for 6 million, which is a good deal to me since they will only be commited to one year and get to see if he can get healthy. The Lions are likely to lose quite a bit this year, and last year's draft class (especially the two LB's) were in preparation for that. That should mean the Lions should get quite a few comp picks next year, also. Comp picks are a good way of getting decent talent cheaply.
    That makes sense. I'd be ok with it.

I hope they make an effort on Chris Houston, even with the three CB's theys drafted last year, otherwise the Compensation picks for 2014 are a nice option for a roster that may need replenishing .

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish caveman View Post
    I hope they make an effort on Chris Houston, even with the three CB's theys drafted last year, otherwise the Compensation picks for 2014 are a nice option for a roster that may need replenishing .
    Yeah, they have to go after Houston. It's not saying much, but he's the best corner we've had in a long time.

MAROTH4MVP is offline MotownSports Fan

Is there enough space to franchise Delmas. I realize the Lions will rework some contracts, but thats a huge cap hit and they are really up against the wall.
    I miss you dad.

I think they'll be able to open up some cap space by reworking and cutting certain guys.

RJBBREZ is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MAROTH4MVP View Post
    Is there enough space to franchise Delmas. I realize the Lions will rework some contracts, but thats a huge cap hit and they are really up against the wall.
    I hope he walks. I am sick of the guy never being healthy. They shouldn't be foolish and rely on him again.

All this says to me is that the Lions are in trouble going forward. This is their team and they have no way to add to it other than the draft. All the apparent depth they had is going to leave because they have all their money tied up in Suh, Stafford, and Johnson.

They'll need internal improvements to get better next season.

That being said, most NFL teams have similar issues. To me, the Lions real issues are with execution and (this year) bad luck. They were lucky last year and went 10-6. Unlucky this year and they're 6-10 (at best). A couple bounces and some consistency and they could easily be 10-6 again next year.

The real question is whether they can achieve that consistency under Schwartz. I think that the Lions' rise from terrible to decent means he deserves at least one more year to find out.

If the Lions lose out(no one should lose to Arizona right now), Schwartz deserves to be canned, but as others have said, he probably gets at least one more season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TaterSalad View Post
    Comp picks so they can draft two more running backs, a tight end and another wide receiver?
    Those are definite need areas, especially receiver.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nd1377 View Post
    If the Lions lose out(no one should lose to Arizona right now), Schwartz deserves to be canned, but as others have said, he probably gets at least one more season.
    Why do these games even matter? Schwartz is the right coach, but there has to be some changes. Season is over, man.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

I just hope the Lions are very active. I would even see what we could get for guys like Leshoure and Pettigrew(although he probably takes too much heat from fans) in a trade...not to mention Suh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I just hope the Lions are very active. I would even see what we could get for guys like Leshoure and Pettigrew(although he probably takes too much heat from fans) in a trade...not to mention Suh.
    Trading Suh would be a hit of 17.7 million on the cap, and you'd have to find another DT with all the other needs and even less money....doesn't pay off, unfortunately .

Why do these games even matter? Schwartz is the right coach, but there has to be some changes. Season is over, man.
    These games really don't matter to the Lions, but they could spoil the Bears playoff chance.

Yes, the season is over, but I would love to see CJ break Jerry Rice's record. It would be about the only good thing about the Lion's season.

Lions re-signed LB Ashley Palmer to a two-year extension, I million for 2013 and 1.25 for 2014. Also re-signed S Don Carey to a one year extension, no terms announced .

vannzee is offline MotownSports Fan

I'd resign Kassim Osgood. He should not cost that much and is excellent on special teams. I can't see Muhlbach not returning.
    AAT 2013- SP D. Below 2012- RP R. Weinhardt 2011- CF A. Jackson 2010- SP D. Below 2009- INF Justin Henry 2008- RP Jeremy Johnson
    AAL TE Joe "Happy Feet" Fauria

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

I never thought I'd see the day where Gosder Cherilus might be the Lions best FA. Out of those guys I'd rate them as:

Hopefully back - Cherilus, Bell, Hanson

Would be OK if they come back - Houston, Durant

Don't care - everyone else
    Kobernoooooous

Blog Entries

All the restricted will stay. I wouldn't mind if Hanson called it quits. It's time to move on.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

This is kind of what I think. Franchise him, give him a year, see what happens. Not too great a commitment here.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

All the restricted will stay. I wouldn't mind if Hanson called it quits. It's time to move on.
    Hanson has been the Lions most consistent and in some seasons, their best player.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nd1377 View Post
    Hanson has been the Lions most consistent and in some seasons, their best player.
    Yeah, and he is still good. Would be foolish to let Hanson go, I mean for petes sake the 49ers just brought in Cundiff to compete with Akers, great kickers don't fall off of trees.

EchO is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the Lions have to keep these 3 because they are already so weak at those positions. But otherwise I agree with your list.

bigtenguy is offline MotownSports Fan

I think they say bye to Spievey.

Only Silva out of those 3 might be back and that'd be a cheap non guaranteed deal. We are thin there, but we can try other options that are just as cheap. Spievey has too many concussion issues. Lacey isn't that bad for a 4th CB type.

We absolutely have to have Cherilus,Houston and Hanson back IMO. I'd really like to also keep Jackson,YOung(at least one of the 2),Durant and hopefully Avril. Delmas I"m ok with trying out for one more year because he's so good and our leader on D, but I understand if he walks. cap space is type.

Lion's Salary Cap Situation

Here are the ones that stood out to me:
    Kyle Vanden Bosch $10.7 Million

Matthew Stafford $20.3 Million

Suh $17.2 Million

I hope the Lions are working out Stafford's contract as we speak.

I am all for dumping KVB but what would the cap hit be?

I'm not too worried. KVB can be cut to save about 5 mil I believe. Backus too. You could save a few mil by cutting Burleson too, or restructure him(maybe just a paycut in his case). Stafford will surely be extended soon and that should massively lower his cap hit this year. Guys like Raiola,Peterman and a few others are options as well if we need to save money.

I think we can come up with 20 mil at least under the cap. Edit - Here's a link that shows how much each guy would save if cut.

NetRat's Lions Blog: Detroit Lions 2013 Salary Cap situation as of 1-8-2013
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 01-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast