View Poll Results: Should Schwartz Be Let Go at Season's End?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fire him

9 25.71%
  • No, give him one more year

8 22.86%
  • No, give him one or more years

16 45.71%
  • Undecided at this point

2 5.71%
    Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Should Schwartz Be Replaced at the End of the Season and...

who should be his replacement if you answered yes?
    Who knew after all these years Joe Dumars was really playing a dual role as both himself and his alter-ego Ken Holland.

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I said replace him. Mayhew is doing a decent job of putting a core together. Although I feel Mayhew could be doing things differently as well, the topic is about Schwartz.

The Lions don't look organized, they take bad penalties, you have coaches yelling at each other (Jefferson chewed out Linehan for how awful he is), they scheme poorly and generally speaking, they just play poorly managed football. I thought Schwartz was a different type of coach, but he doesn't hold players responsible and doesn't ask for players to be disciplined. He needs to go, so does Linehan, who is a joke of an OC.

Who to replace him with? That is a good question.

Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

I too said that Schwartz should be replaced at the end of the season. I won't restate everything you said there, I'll just echo all of the same sentiments. The thing that bothers me the most is there terrible game-day preparation in terms of play calling, especially offensively. It's the same scheme week in and week out, nothing changes, ever! And low and behold we see the same scenario play out with this team falling behind early and having to play catchup. Enough already! I was all excited with the supposed change in philosophy and football mentality that a "man's man", "guy's guy" like Jim Schwratz was going to instill in this team. It didn't happen and on top of that, this team has begun to work backwards this season.

As for Schwartz replacements, I'm not sure that I want a defensive guy or offensive guy this time around. When he was hired, I want a defensive minded coach fresh off an 0-16 season. I do have a few names I'd like to see them consider though...

Top Guy: Bill Cowher

Tier Two:
    Greg Roman (49'ers OC)
    Mike McCoy (Bronco's OC)
    Pete Carmichael, Jr. (Saints OC)
    Perry Fewell (Giants DC)

Tier Three:
    Chip Kelly (Oregon Ducks HC)...Always unsure of coaches making that jump as it has failed so many times, but I've got to consider this guy.
    Brian Billick (Former Raven's HC)
    Who knew after all these years Joe Dumars was really playing a dual role as both himself and his alter-ego Ken Holland.

nd1377 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    The Lions don't look organized, they take bad penalties, you have coaches yelling at each other (Jefferson chewed out Linehan for how awful he is), they scheme poorly and generally speaking, they just play poorly managed football. I thought Schwartz was a different type of coach, but he doesn't hold players responsible and doesn't ask for players to be disciplined. He needs to go, so does Linehan, who is a joke of an OC.

Who to replace him with? That is a good question.
    You hit the nail on the head.

Schwartz probably will be back next year but here are some possible names:

Andy Reid
    Jon Gruden
    Bill Cowher

NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan

Is Cowher ever going back to coaching? I'm not so sure. He seems really cozy there at CBS and seems to really be enjoying his time there. Seems like an ideal job to get paid ridiculous amounts of money to have to only have to put in one full day of "work".
    I can see Gruden getting back into coaching possibly as soon as next season, it would be worth going after him.

All i know is that the Schwartz experiment is a failure, this has all the markings of a badly coached team. They are always unprepared to start games, they are one of the most undisciplined teams in the league, the players are not developing properly under their watch (all the important players have stagnated or regressed) and they employ incredibly predictable offensive and defensive schemes. I don't see this changing no matter what player personnel is on the field.
    The only reason that this franchise looked "revived" last season is because of a bunch of flukey games in which Stafford and Megatron bailed out the coaches asses otherwise, this should have been a 7-9 or 8-8 team last season and Schwartz would be on the hot seat now with another losing season all but a certainty.
    The time for change is now before the prime years of this core is wasted on "what should have been?".

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Cowher is done coaching. He is pretty happy. Still gets paid a lot, gets to talk about football, gets to stay home 4 days a week and does not have the stress of coaching.

Schwartz is not going anywhere, but he needs to consider hiring Norv Turner as his Offensive Coordinator. I think Turner is a TERRIBLE head coach, but a good OC. If their offense lived up to it's hype or even 80% so - this team would be 7-3 right now.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    If their offense lived up to it's hype or even 80% so - this team would be 7-3 right now.
    I agree and that's why this season has been such garbage.

I would love to see Jon Gruden but I think Philadelphia is going to go after him.

MissouriKaline6 is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Stafford is the kind of QB Gruden would love to coach. I'd go after him as this will probably be the one last best shot to get him.

4 years, 1 above .500 season, I'd say that gets you fired in today's NFL.
    2014 AAT: Joba Chamberlin

Kacie is offline MotownSports Fan

If you keep doing what you always did, you're going to keep getting what you always got. If they continue not to fill needs, waste valuable draft picks, have a lack veteran leadership, what will changing the coach do? I'm disappointed, too, but based on their history, I can't see that another coach will ultimately make much of a difference.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

No. Fans can be pretty wacko sometimes. I might have things I don't care about Schwartz, but a step back this year isn't going to make me fire him. I think the team was mighty lucky to do what it did last year.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

MDMAzing is offline MotownSports Fan

Jim Schwartz is a garbage coach who cant seem to get his team ready to play every single sunday. He is the kind of coach that can turn a terrible team into a below average-average team. He isnt the kind of coach that can turn a below average-average team into a great one. I want Jim and the entire staff(except maybe Gunther, the D has been a pleasant surprise) gone at the end of the year. However i dont think that will happen.

Im guessing that Linehan and some other position coaches are gone at the end of the year and Schwartz is given one more year. If we dont make the playoffs next year, he is gone. It will be the 5th year for him and 1 playoff trip in 5 years gets you canned in todays NFL, especially when we actually have a talented roster.

I am sure a lot of you have seen that Titus Young has been sent home because of discipline problems.

The discipline problems alone should be enough to get him fired but I don't think it will. He will get at least one more year.

I would love to see Gruden coach the Lions.

redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm waiting for the Official Release thread from Kleen.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

Have to remember what Schwartz inherited here. A terrible team with one decent player. Took them from no wins to ten but now he has to keep them up there and this year has been a severe blow to his career. These last six games will determine his future here. Right the ship and look respectable or tank and get canned. I would dump Linehan and keep Jim for one more year and go from there. Get the losers out of town (Raiola, Backus, Young) and make another run.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

Patience, the guy got the Lions into the playoffs last year. There definitely needs to be some changes but not at that level, yet.

Does anyone think that Schwartz will be able to clean up the discipline problems on the team? He has not shown that he can.

Gozer is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MDMAzing View Post
    Jim Schwartz is a garbage coach who cant seem to get his team ready to play every single sunday. He is the kind of coach that can turn a terrible team into a below average-average team. He isnt the kind of coach that can turn a below average-average team into a great one.
    you mean taking an 0-16 team to the playoffs in 3 years? You are making a typical monday morning over-reaction. HC is fine and so is the DC. I could listen to an OC change but for some reason I think an upgraded o'line and the removal of Young will help out in the future.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
    you mean taking an 0-16 team to the playoffs in 3 years? You are making a typical monday morning over-reaction. HC is fine and so is the DC. I could listen to an OC change but for some reason I think an upgraded o'line and the removal of Young will help out in the future.
    I really don't look at that as superly amazing. I figure any team is never more than three years away from being a respectable team, just as long as those in charge have some sort of brain. Getting to respectability is one thing - it's reasonably easy. It's much easier to go from 0-16 to average. Going from average to above average and then to Super Bowl contender - those gaps may be smaller, but are much harder to accomplish. We're finding that out right now.

I think that's the coaching staff's and the front office's task - to prove they can take the team to the next level. I think the 10-6 was a bit misleading last year because the team was so darn lucky to win a lot of those games. This year, those things aren't happening and we see the results. It was probably an 8-8 team last year. Might be that this year, even if they fall a bit short of that. Either way they are in that 7-9 to 9-7 bracket - I think it's fair to say. Now it's time to go out and really prove their merit. To this point they haven't, but I don't think the chapter is closed that they either won't be able to or will.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

MDMAzing is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
    you mean that playoff team last year didnt beat a single team with a winning record? you mean that team that also needed miraculous comebacks in at least 3 of those wins? and those were more a product of the other team pulling a Lions speciality and imploding. Last year was clearly a fluke.

And if it wasnt a fluke, then this team has severely regressed from year to year. A good coach wouldnt of let that happen.

NYLion is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain God View Post
    Patience, the guy got the Lions into the playoffs last year. There definitely needs to be some changes but not at that level, yet.
    Last years team was a complete fluke. They had 3 miraculous comebacks where all the stars aligned perfectly for them to get wins (at Dallas, at Minny, at Oakland), another game in which they had to come back from a huge deficit against a poor Carolina team and another win against the Vikings at home in which they won due to a horrible call at the end which gave them the victory against the immortal Joe Webb.
    Also, the teams they beat were either mediocre or bad, they failed against any good team and lost to another immortal Matt Flynn who lost his job to a rookie before the season even began and got a fat contract thanks to the Lions.

The same problems that the team has this year existed last year except that last year was masked by a flukey 10-6 record. They had a lack of discipline, lack of team structure, vanilla coaching schemes and suffered from poor starts last season as well.
    There is a fundamental problem with this team that goes beyond player personnel, it's a culture issue and that goes back to coaching.
    Bring in a coach like Gruden who pays attention to detail and will focus on discipline and watch this team start to take off.

Mayhew has work to do as well since there are clearly holes to fill but this team is talented enough to be better than this.
    Last edited by NYLion; 11-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I don't think anyone on the outside has any clue as to what coaches do Monday-Saturday. I have more questions about Mayhew right now than Schwartz. Execution has not been good, and Schwartz will have to answer for that - but I think some have vastly overrated our talent. We need serious help in the defensive backfield, & have for 3 seasons. Still nothing. My guess is that Ford will allow Mayhew a second chance at hiring a coach before he'd be let go - but I wouldn't make that move right now.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry