Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RedRamage's Avatar
    RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    GR, MI
    Posts
    20,590

    Default Avril and the long term deal...




    Does anyone else get the feeling that the Lions are kinda playing "wait and see" with Avril? He had a very good year last year and appears to want to get paid for it... which is totally understandable.

    But I almost wonder if the Lions are looking to see if he can repeat this year before shelling out the big bucks for him long term.

    Am I just crazy to think this?

  2. #2
    cruzer1's Avatar
    cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    31,946
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    This is what usually happens when it comes to franchising. It's all about leverage, and the Lions have the leverage. They could likely franchise him again next year.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

  3. #3
    slim pickens's Avatar
    slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Taylor, MI
    Posts
    8,601

  4. #4
    Stormin' Norman's Avatar
    Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    It is just not going to happen. Not this offseason at least. Avril is going to be convinced he deserves Charles Johnson money.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

  5. #5
    RedRamage's Avatar
    RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    GR, MI
    Posts
    20,590

    Default

    Lions' Cliff Avril tells ESPN he won't report to camp on time | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

    Avril saying that he'll likely hold out from camp. At the very least he won't be there the first day.

    I heard an interview with him on some ESPN show the other day. I will say that I was very impressed with this attitude about this. He wasn't taking it personally at all. There was nothing about: "They're not showing me respect!" or "I sacrificed for them, now they owe me!" He very clearly and conversationally stated (paraphrasing): "It's business. They have to do what they think makes good business sense for them. Now I do figure out what makes the most business sense for me."

    Reports are that the last Lions offer was 3 years, $30M with $20M guaranteed. I think Avril is really looking for a longer term deal. He wants stability and security. Unfortunately, I don't think you get that in today's NFL when contracts are guaranteed unless specifically stated otherwise.

    On a side note... I know there was a deadline that expired this past week. But I haven't read/heard anything specific about what that means now that the deadline has expired. Anyone know the details?

  6. #6
    Stormin' Norman's Avatar
    Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    On a side note... I know there was a deadline that expired this past week. But I haven't read/heard anything specific about what that means now that the deadline has expired. Anyone know the details?
    It means they cannot sign Avril to a new contract (beyond the one year tender) until after this season.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

  7. #7
    DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,092

    Default

    I wonder about these rules sometimes. What is the downside of being able to sign a guy to an extension during the season.

  8. #8
    Stormin' Norman's Avatar
    Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,865

    Default

    It was designed to prevent franchise player holdouts going into the season. There is nothing for the player to gain by not playing regular season games.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

  9. #9
    FarFromDetroit's Avatar
    FarFromDetroit is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    Avril saying that he'll likely hold out from camp. At the very least he won't be there the first day.

    I heard an interview with him on some ESPN show the other day. I will say that I was very impressed with this attitude about this. He wasn't taking it personally at all. There was nothing about: "They're not showing me respect!" or "I sacrificed for them, now they owe me!" He very clearly and conversationally stated (paraphrasing): "It's business. They have to do what they think makes good business sense for them. Now I do figure out what makes the most business sense for me."

    Reports are that the last Lions offer was 3 years, $30M with $20M guaranteed. I think Avril is really looking for a longer term deal. He wants stability and security. Unfortunately, I don't think you get that in today's NFL when contracts are guaranteed unless specifically stated otherwise.
    I was also impressed with his attitude towards the negotiations. I think he is an upstanding guy and an excellent DE, but I wonder if he will put up the same numbers he put up last year.

    It looks like all those early first round picks we've gotten in the past few years have caught up with us and we are no longer able to pay people what we want. We also have to think about locking up Stafford in a year or two when his contract expires. If he keeps it up we will have to pay him quite a bit.

  10. #10
    iamhubby is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    It is just not going to happen. Not this offseason at least. Avril is going to be convinced he deserves Charles Johnson money.
    There are plenty of Panther fanz that think, even as good as he is, Johnson got overpaid.

    Teams go through this all the time with their stars. It is not what the franchise tag was originally set up to do. But the tag has turned into a tool. Sometimes it works in the players favor, while other times in mgmnt favor.

    That said. Cliff is a Beast and deserves what he is eventually going to get. i just wish it would get resolved, but alas, that is not to be.

    It is still a great time to be a Lions fan. And GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,092

    Default

    Maybe they think that highly of Willie Young. The guy looks like a monster out there everytime he gets on the field.

  12. #12
    Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    9,045

    Default

    This team cannot afford to choose one or the other between Young and Avril, they need both and more. Our DL is our anchor on D.

Similar Threads

  1. TigsTown: Fielder Deal May Haunt Tigers Long Term
    By RSS Feeder in forum Tigers News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 03:20 AM
  2. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
  3. Rays to announce long-term deal with Longoria
    By spikesglaring in forum Major League Baseball
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 04:51 PM
  4. Phillies sign Rollins to long term deal
    By estrepe1 in forum Major League Baseball
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 01:46 PM
  5. Harden gets his long-term deal
    By TigersMeow79 in forum Major League Baseball
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •