RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Avril and the long term deal...

Does anyone else get the feeling that the Lions are kinda playing "wait and see" with Avril? He had a very good year last year and appears to want to get paid for it... which is totally understandable.

But I almost wonder if the Lions are looking to see if he can repeat this year before shelling out the big bucks for him long term.

Am I just crazy to think this?

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This is what usually happens when it comes to franchising. It's all about leverage, and the Lions have the leverage. They could likely franchise him again next year.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan

It is just not going to happen. Not this offseason at least. Avril is going to be convinced he deserves Charles Johnson money.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Lions' Cliff Avril tells ESPN he won't report to camp on time | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Avril saying that he'll likely hold out from camp. At the very least he won't be there the first day.

I heard an interview with him on some ESPN show the other day. I will say that I was very impressed with this attitude about this. He wasn't taking it personally at all. There was nothing about: "They're not showing me respect!" or "I sacrificed for them, now they owe me!" He very clearly and conversationally stated (paraphrasing): "It's business. They have to do what they think makes good business sense for them. Now I do figure out what makes the most business sense for me."

Reports are that the last Lions offer was 3 years, $30M with $20M guaranteed. I think Avril is really looking for a longer term deal. He wants stability and security. Unfortunately, I don't think you get that in today's NFL when contracts are guaranteed unless specifically stated otherwise.

On a side note... I know there was a deadline that expired this past week. But I haven't read/heard anything specific about what that means now that the deadline has expired. Anyone know the details?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    On a side note... I know there was a deadline that expired this past week. But I haven't read/heard anything specific about what that means now that the deadline has expired. Anyone know the details?
    It means they cannot sign Avril to a new contract (beyond the one year tender) until after this season.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder about these rules sometimes. What is the downside of being able to sign a guy to an extension during the season.

It was designed to prevent franchise player holdouts going into the season. There is nothing for the player to gain by not playing regular season games.

FarFromDetroit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    Avril saying that he'll likely hold out from camp. At the very least he won't be there the first day.

I heard an interview with him on some ESPN show the other day. I will say that I was very impressed with this attitude about this. He wasn't taking it personally at all. There was nothing about: "They're not showing me respect!" or "I sacrificed for them, now they owe me!" He very clearly and conversationally stated (paraphrasing): "It's business. They have to do what they think makes good business sense for them. Now I do figure out what makes the most business sense for me."

Reports are that the last Lions offer was 3 years, $30M with $20M guaranteed. I think Avril is really looking for a longer term deal. He wants stability and security. Unfortunately, I don't think you get that in today's NFL when contracts are guaranteed unless specifically stated otherwise.
    I was also impressed with his attitude towards the negotiations. I think he is an upstanding guy and an excellent DE, but I wonder if he will put up the same numbers he put up last year.

It looks like all those early first round picks we've gotten in the past few years have caught up with us and we are no longer able to pay people what we want. We also have to think about locking up Stafford in a year or two when his contract expires. If he keeps it up we will have to pay him quite a bit.

iamhubby is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    It is just not going to happen. Not this offseason at least. Avril is going to be convinced he deserves Charles Johnson money.
    There are plenty of Panther fanz that think, even as good as he is, Johnson got overpaid.

Teams go through this all the time with their stars. It is not what the franchise tag was originally set up to do. But the tag has turned into a tool. Sometimes it works in the players favor, while other times in mgmnt favor.

That said. Cliff is a Beast and deserves what he is eventually going to get. i just wish it would get resolved, but alas, that is not to be.

It is still a great time to be a Lions fan. And GOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe they think that highly of Willie Young. The guy looks like a monster out there everytime he gets on the field.

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

This team cannot afford to choose one or the other between Young and Avril, they need both and more. Our DL is our anchor on D.