Brian is offline MotownSports Fan

Default A Matthew Stafford question for all you football gurus

There are far more better people to ask this to and you guy's are it.

My question is this. Was the reason Matthew Stafford made a rather large jump this past season due to the fact he was injured his first 2 seasons?

Let me be clear. The age old question for qb's is do you start them or do you let them sit and watch?

To me it seemed that Stafford had the best of both worlds. That he started some games and them got hurt and missed games. So do you think the game slowed down for him with that combo? Playing & sitting?

Maybe the injuries were a blessing?

Thoughts?

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Personally, I think the only way his development gets hurt by playing more / getting more reps the first 2 years in the league is if his confidence suffers due to struggling to an extent that it effects his play negatively and starts a death spiral of frustration.

I really don't know anything about his personality to offer an opinion as to how likely that is. I'd guess it wouldn't be that likely (i.e. I'd guess he would be as good or even better now had he played full time the first 2 years), but that is just a guess with nothing substanative behind it.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The best QB's can play right away. They also need talent around them, which is why Aikman struggled in Dallas, and Manning struggled in Indy. If anything, Stafford was hurt because he missed a lot of reps.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

I agree with cruzer...being out for such large chunks of his first two years hurt Stafford more than helped him. He needed to be on the field seeing and doing rather than on the sidelines watching. The only way you're going to see if you can fit a throw between a LB dropping and a safety coming up is to try it...

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Actually that's a decent question. But I'd doubt anyone would be able to answer it.

I would've liked to see him play more games. I'd think the additional games would've helped. I don't know if those seasons would've been better or not. Hard to really say. And it's hard to say even if he played more complete seasons those first two years anyone could've really expected more out of him than we saw this year.

Again, really good question. But one that probably can't be answered with any great conviction one way or the other.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    The best QB's can play right away. They also need talent around them, which is why Aikman struggled in Dallas, and Manning struggled in Indy. If anything, Stafford was hurt because he missed a lot of reps.
    I actually did a bit of research once on this topic and I think I found that QBs who started their first year were, on average, about the same after QBs who did not start their first year. There is always the perception that QBs who start a couple of years into their career are better, and initially they usually are.

But I think cruzer nicely explains why, I just want to flesh out the argument a little...

If a QB starts as a rookie, why is that? More often than not, it's because he's on a team that isn't very good and doesn't have a starting QB of any note.

If a QB doesn't start as a rookie, why is that? More often than not, it's because the team he's on is a pretty good team with an established, good QB.

When Rodgers took over from Favre, he took over a good team with good talent and established staff and scheme. When Stafford took over for Culpepper, he took over a team that was in disarray, without a brand new head coach, all new staff and schemes.

This of it this way... if you're a new NASCAR driver and you get put in a top notch car, even though you're a rookie, you're going to do decent because the car is very, very good. But if you're a rookie and you're dumped into a car that is in poor shape, it doesn't matter how good you are or aren't, you aren't going to do well if you can't reach the same speeds as the other cars.

Brian is offline MotownSports Fan

This is where it's a bit blurry.

Aaron Rogers sat for 3 years and is a very good qb. Would he have been if he started from day 1? I don't think anyone can say for sure one way or another.

I see both points both good & bad. But, I was just wondering outloud if anyone thought Stafford playing some games then watching some games helped him.
    Last edited by Brian; 01-19-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Every player is different.

My basic position is more playing time helps with development and should be at worst a push, if not beneficial, unless the extra playing time leads to injuries, bad habits, or confidence issues that limit effectiveness. It is impossible to know which is the case upfront.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

1 - Healthy all season
    2 - 3rd year in the Linehan system
    3 - Finally clicked that Megatron is unstoppable
    4 - His teammates totally believe in him and that is more important than people think.
    5 - Titus Young
    6 - Team's hot start built confidence

Imagine if they had even an average running game. Think of the numbers he puts up if he didn't have a broken finger for 3 or 4 games. That kid makes throws I have never seen a Lions quarterback make, and you may find fault with this - he makes throws that Brees, Brady and Rodgers can't make..........
    Last edited by Motor City Sonics; 01-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Sven Draconian is offline MotownSports Fan

Matthew Stafford had a big jump because he has an awesome supporting cast.

Best WR in the league.
    A decent #2.
    A very good slot (Titus)
    2 top 10 receiving TEs.

Early in the year he had Best as well. All coupled with a pretty solid pass-blocking offensive line.

When you combine his great supporting cast with coaching consistency, and obviously his natural talent, these are the results you get.

I don't think missing an entire season due to injuries helped him more than actually playing. I am very excited to see him progress after he has 4 or 5 years working in this system, especially since the core of this offense is locked up.

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

I think generally a QB shows how good he is after 25-30 full games played. Exceptions of course for guys like Rodgers and Steve Young who play behind legends in good systems for years. But I think at that time you get enough reps and understand the system enough and enough seeps into the subconscious so that he doesn't have to 'think' but can instead just 'react.' And of course you have far enough along where you're trying to run some semblance of an offense and at least trying to make football decisions.

Also, Calvin Johnson is a beast.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

Big Frame is offline MotownSports Fan

Throwing the ball more also leads to having more yards. But with 81 you need to throw it more...
    2014 AAT- Gene Lamont

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Plus he had a great offensive line.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Nastradamus is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Every player is different.

My basic position is more playing time helps with development and should be at worst a push, if not beneficial, unless the extra playing time leads to injuries, bad habits, or confidence issues that limit effectiveness. It is impossible to know which is the case upfront.
    That's the thing. Eventually you are going to have to play together, but if you have bad habits with mechanics, footwork, starting down receivers etc. as well as maybe low confidence or a low understanding of the offense, you are likely better off just sitting for a while and working on those issues. It will be hard to improve on the field with such habits.