New_Age_X is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Stafford for MVP?

So I know its not going to happen but why shouldn't it? Really where would this team be without him? I'd say 3 wins if they were lucky. MVP is what player means the most to his team and IMO Stafford makes this team go.

NE would still be a playoff team without Brady. Maybe they wouldn't be a 1 seed but they would be in the playoffs thats for sure.

GB would still be a playoff team without Rodgers. Again maybe not a team with only 1 loss on the season but they still would have been fine.

NO needs Brees a lot I don't think a lot of QB could do what he has done there. Sure guys like Brady, Manning, Stafford and Rodgers could run that offense. But they wouldn't be a playoff team with Chase Daniel running the team.

So it comes down to who is more important to there respected team Stafford or Brees. And I would go with Stafford. He has the numbers that's for sure if the voters want to just look at numbers. Hell if they would have scored a TD on that last drive he may have passed Marino as well.

Lastly for anyone that doesn't think Stafford makes this team go name me one other guy who could have carried this team to 10 wins? CJ does count but remember it takes a QB to get him the ball.

Auburndale Ray is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Stafford is 1st Class...
    He deserves more credit and attention than he is getting...
    GO LIONS!

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the Lions were 5-8 without Stafford last year starting, so I don't know if I agree with this team winning just three games. In fact, I flat out don't. I didn't think Stafford would have the year he has had and yet at the start of the season my goals were nine wins. I would've selected six or seven wins even if Hill entered the season as the starter.

Stafford has had a great season. There's no doubt about that. But people always want to sensationalize things to the point of extremes. Things like "He should be the MVP." Or "Thsi team wouldn't win more than three games without Stafford." There's nothing wrong with having a great season without being the NFL MVP. If he doesn't win it (he won't and shouldn't) it doesn't discredit his season. If you don't think he should win it doesn't discredit his season either, or mean you think he had anything but a great season. It just means you didn't think he was the MVP.

Stafford's value translates into victories. I agree. But was he worth six? No way. Was he worth two or three more wins? Probably. And that's pretty impressive as well.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Stafford very well may be the Lions MVP, by far. And he's had an amazing overall season. But, Rodgers and Brees deserve it over him in my opinion. That is taking nothing away from Stafford, who is having an amazing season at AGE 23!!
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

No way is NE a playoff team without Brady. He carried them more than Stafford carried the Lions. You're just biased because of how good the Pats have been. Look at how terrible their defense was. They have no playmakers on offense.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

tiger paw paw is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by New_Age_X View Post
    CJ does count but remember it takes a QB to get him the ball.
    I used to think this way too, but Johnson has made some unbelieveable plays where the ball is essentially just tossed up for grabs. This sentiment has to go both ways. Because they have an MVP caliber player catching it, the quarterback sometimes looks better than they play they just made.

Lurking does not by itself make you a troll

JAYB is offline MotownSports Fan

Staff isn't the MVP of the League, not yet anyway. I would like to hear some thoughts on who the Lions MVP is. I think its pretty easy to say either Staff or CJ. But which one?
    GO TIGERS !!!
    2012 AAT : Jim Leyland

RedRamage is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by New_Age_X View Post
    So I know its not going to happen but why shouldn't it? Really where would this team be without him? I'd say 3 wins if they were lucky. MVP is what player means the most to his team and IMO Stafford makes this team go.
    While I agree with this definition, historically this isn't the definition of MVP that voters have used. Generally the MVP has to be a league standout... usually the best, or very near the best, in the league at his position and one of the best teams in the league. Right or wrong, this is the way that most voters think, and because of that Stafford won't get more than a handful of votes, if even that.

Now, leaving aside the cold reality, if we use the the more literal definition that you and I both agree with, is Stafford worthy? On one hand I would tend to think so. I think while Hill is a capable backup, there is no way we are at 10 wins and playoff bound with Hill. At best I think we're 8-8, probably more like 6-10. I don't think we make many of the amazing comebacks that we did with Hill at QB.

Yet on the other hand, is a 4-game swing enough to award an MVP?

Here's an interesting question that I think the NFL magazine first proposed: Could Peyton Manning be considered the MVP? With the horrid season that the Colts had, is there any question what Manning means to his team? If we go strictly by the question of: How important is this guy to his team... well, I don't think you can argue that Peyton is less important than anyone else.

RedRamage is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Staff isn't the MVP of the League, not yet anyway. I would like to hear some thoughts on who the Lions MVP is. I think its pretty easy to say either Staff or CJ. But which one?
    My initial thought is: No brainer... Stafford. He threw 41 TDs, only 16 of which went to CJ. However that's too simplistic in a game were team work means so much more than any other sport (IMHO). CJ commanded so much attention that it helped others get open. I do not doubt that if CJ had gone down in the first week that Stafford would not have thrown as many TDs. He allowed other receivers to have better games.

I dunno... I still lean towards Stafford, but you might be able to convince me to go with CJ.

nd1377 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    No way is NE a playoff team without Brady. He carried them more than Stafford carried the Lions. You're just biased because of how good the Pats have been. Look at how terrible their defense was. They have no playmakers on offense.
    We will never know but from the past, QBs(Tom Brady after Bledsoe got injured, Matt Cassel after Brady got injured, etc) have stepped into the starting role in New England and succeeded. New England has one of the, if not the best coach and system in the NFL.

Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan

He would get my vote, but I'm a wee bit biased.

The guy is already a top 4 QB (Rodgers, Brady, Brees).
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nd1377 View Post
    We will never know but from the past, QBs(Tom Brady after Bledsoe got injured, Matt Cassel after Brady got injured, etc) have stepped into the starting role in New England and succeeded. New England has one of the, if not the best coach and system in the NFL.
    Yup. It was really striking to see the difference between how NE faired without Brady compared to what happened to Indianapolis without Manning.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I'd go Stafford by a ton. I think CJ gets some talk and deserves mention, but for me he's a reasonably distant second.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Cylander is offline Banned

To illustrate how sad the Lions quarterback history has been, Stafford doesn't even have two full seasons in the NFL and is literally halfway to breaking the Lions all time record in passing yards and touchdowns.