Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T&P_Fan View Post
    I just dont know if were watching the same games. From what I can tell, you are convinced the Lions have the best OL in all of football, all of them are great blockers and extremely athletic. Here is our rushing offense the last 4 years:
    23rd
    24th
    30th
    31st

What further indictment do you need of our offensive line, we cant run the ball because our blockers stink and rarely open holes. You are the 1st person I have heard describe Railoa with such generosity.
    I blame that on the runners.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

T&P_Fan is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    Barry Sanders retired, no room for crappy lineman anymore.

Blog Entries

At the end of the year, the Lions ran the ball extremely well against very tough defenses. Part of the reason is they ran more often, which is a great sign. It's also another reason why they won their last four games. I'd argue that offensively, the line was their best asset at that time.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This is a good point -- Barry Sanders did no favors when it came to teaching the Lions they need a good run blocking OL.

Blog Entries

At the end of the year, the Lions ran the ball extremely well against very tough defenses. Part of the reason is they ran more often, which is a great sign. It's also another reason why they won their last four games. I'd argue that offensively, the line was their best asset at that time.
    I would say the use of end arounds had more to do with our success than anything else. We had one rusher break a 100 yards the last 4 game, Mo against TB. Against Miami we had 67 total yards rushing. Against the vikes we had 107 total rushing yards, 40 of those coming on an end around or reverse to Logan or Burleson. I would hardly credit the lineman for good blocking on those. I dont think I can conclude that we successfully ran the ball well between the tackles.

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

Lineman don't block on end arounds?
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagnam View Post
    Lineman don't block on end arounds?
    This is what I said:

I would hardly credit the lineman for good blocking on those.
    Dont confuse my words. The key block on an end around comes from the tight end on the edge or from the receiver on the outside. Both should be blocking down. Lineman dont make the key block on these plays. So I give credit where it was due, to the tight end or receiver.

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

His pulling ability doesnt make up for how poorly he blocks and or how much of a douche that he is. He is our worst lineman, imo. He needs to go, not JUST because he lifts girls skirts, but because he sucks as a player.
    There, I fixed it for you. This incident (and Dom's past indiscretions) should factor into his current and future employment with the Lions.
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

This is what I said:

Dont confuse my words. The key block on an end around comes from the tight end on the edge or from the receiver on the outside. Both should be blocking down. Lineman dont make the key block on these plays. So I give credit where it was due, to the tight end or receiver.
    If the line didn't block "good" then there would have been D lineman in the backfield.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sagnam View Post
    If the line didn't block "good" then there would have been D lineman in the backfield.
    Let me approach this another way. Is it no surprise to you that we were more successful on the edge then between the tackles the last few weeks? Between the tackles the lineman is being asked to make the key block (ie. block D tackle away from gap A). On an end around, the lineman just cant get blown-up, dont have to block one way or another.

Its the key block that I am concerned with.

Blog Entries

There are not a lot of NFL ready made centers in this draft, it's not a strong year. It's also a position that teams like to lock up, so they don't lose their guy. It's a hard position to fill, and there is really no reason to let him go. He's very reliable, and plays every down almost every year. That's hard to find, especially on a team that has so many problems with injuries like the Lions. He's a lot like Backus, you won't appreciate him until he's gone.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

There are not a lot of NFL ready made centers in this draft, it's not a strong year. It's also a position that teams like to lock up, so they don't lose their guy. It's a hard position to fill, and there is really no reason to let him go. He's very reliable, and plays every down almost every year. That's hard to find, especially on a team that has so many problems with injuries like the Lions. He's a lot like Backus, you won't appreciate him until he's gone.
    I guess I just view it a different way. I dont think we will truly realize how valuable the center position is until we get a good one. I guess we just have to disagree on this one.

TonyJM is offline MotownSports Fan

You should take a look at the football outsiders data on these cruzer (if you haven't already). Again, its not perfect, by I like that they tabulate these stats based on the direction of the run. Blaming the runners would make sense to me if there wasn't such a sharp different between how many yards we gained running outside Backus and Simms in comparison to every other direction. The jump-off is pretty dramatic and fits with a lot of the scouting criticism of Raoila, Peterman and too a slightly lesser extent Cherilus.

-Tony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJM View Post
    You should take a look at the football outsiders data on these cruzer (if you haven't already). Again, its not perfect, by I like that they tabulate these stats based on the direction of the run. Blaming the runners would make sense to me if there wasn't such a sharp different between how many yards we gained running outside Backus and Simms in comparison to every other direction. The jump-off is pretty dramatic and fits with a lot of the scouting criticism of Raoila, Peterman and too a slightly lesser extent Cherilus.

-Tony
    I also think it has a lot to do with the strength of the opposing defenses, especially in the division against the run. FO makes some good points, but I don't believe they're telling the whole story.

Plus, Peterman was largely ineffective (he had played much better in '09 when he was healthy) due to a bad foot.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

slim pickens is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder how long until we hear about the civil lawsuit.

GuitarGod19 is offline MotownSports Fan

Video of what Raiola said to the girl

YouTube - Detroit Lions Center Dominic Raiola Tells Dolphins fans "suck my dick"

Chalk this post up to insomnia and boredom haha
    Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz

2010 AAL - Sammie Lee Hill 15 Tackles 1.5 Sacks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12