58 Palmer, Ashlee LB 6-1 236 24 2 Mississippi
    59 Peterson, Julian LB 6-3 240 31 11 Michigan State

Detroit Lions | Player Roster
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    How do you know how smart he is? He's had injury problems.
    Because I've watched him play since he was drafted. Speed and physicality are of no use when you are constantly out of position.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pape06 View Post
    Draft BPA with emphasis on positions of need. Washington was never seriously discussed by fans because nobody seriously thought Sims was going to be traded. I have a hard time seeing corners such as McCourty, Jackson, Ghee, Cook, or Robinson being rated better than Washington. I always thought Washington was a PERFECT fit for Detroit at 34, and was hoping Sims would be traded to make room for such a move.
    Who's your 2nd corner, then? They could use an influx of young players. I'm very high on Washington, but he's not going to affect the defense like a good corner.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    It has to do with Sims lack of value not Scheffler's value.
    Plus we rid the State of Michigan of the menace of all those lizards that Ernie Sims kept.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

pape06 is offline MotownSports Fan

Who's your 2nd corner, then? They could use an influx of young players. I'm very high on Washington, but he's not going to affect the defense like a good corner.
    I just don't see a big drop off amongst corners from 2nd round to 4th round. Weigh that with the fact that I think Washington is the best WLB in the draft and both positions are position of need, I think you wait on your corner and select a player like Myron Lewis in the 4th.
    2011 Adopted Tiger - Emmanuel Del Orbe
    10-11 Adopted Red Wing - Justin Abdelkader

Blog Entries

Scheffler: Restore the Roar! | All Things Broncos

Scheffler: Restore the Roar!By Mike Klis Add a comment

Just called Tony Scheffler. Minutes earlier, he was dealt to his hometown Detroit Lions in a three-team deal that sent linebacker Ernie Sims to Philly and the Eagles’ fifth-round draft pick to Denver.

First thing Scheffler said:

“”Restore the Roar!’’

This has been the Lions’ slogan since Jim Schwartz was brought in revive an 0-16 franchise prior to the 2009 season.

Scheffler grew up a Lions’ fan in Chelsea, Mich., an hour’s drive from Detroit.

“”I was just talking to my brother about that,’’ Scheffler said. “”It’s going to be surreal walking into that locker room and putting on those clothes for the first time.’’

He’ll pinch himself soon enough. The Lions are having an organized training activity Tuesday and they’ve asked Scheffler to be there.

Scheffler not only adds protection in case tight end Brandon Pettigrew takes a while to rebound from ACL surgery, but he will play on the affordable $1.176 million salary he was tendered by the Broncos as a restricted free agent last month.

Expect the Lions to use plenty of two, tight-end formations in 2010.

The three-team trade went through after Scheffler talked to Lions coach Jim Schwartz by phone and agreed not to seek a new contract. Scheffler would become an unrestricted free agent after this season if the league reaches a new collective bargaining agreement.

Scheffler is excited to be joining a Lions’ offense led by quarterback Matthew Stafford, the No. 1 overall draft pick in the 2009 draft who had a big games as a rookie.

“”Just hearing Jay (Cutler) talk about him, _ their personalities are different but I think they’re very similar about how they play on the field,’’ Scheffler said. “”I’m looking forward to playing with a young quarterback who has an arm like that.’

During his four seasons with the Broncos, Scheffler led all tight ends with a 13.7-yard per catch average. He was unhappy with his limited use in 2009 and his complaints to teammates got back to coach Josh McDaniels, who essentially suspended Scheffler from the final game of the season.

The Broncos didn’t get much value back for Scheffler, who was a second-round draft pick out of Western Michigan in 2006.

“”It’s unfortunate the way it ended there,’’ Scheffler said. “”But it’s a business and I’m excited about playing for the Lions.’’

Sims, who the Lions selected with the No. 9 pick in the 2006 draft, is in the final year of his five-year rookie deal that will pay him $1.05 million this year.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
    Restore the roar came from Wayne Fontes.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

"Restore the Roar" has been the Lion's creed for 20 years.

Hongbit is offline MotownSports Fan

Not against moving Sims as he was an underachiever and didn't fit in this system. Not sure I get adding another TE and depleating the LB corps even more but maybe they have something in mind.

Mayhew has a ton of work left to improve this defense. The back 7 looks horrible right now. They will need to add 4-5 players that can come in and contribute right away. I'm not sure if he can find that many quality players for 2010 in the later rounds of the draft and 2nd & 3rd free agent periods.
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hongbit View Post
    Not against moving Sims as he was an underachiever and didn't fit in this system. Not sure I get adding another TE and depleating the LB corps even more but maybe they have something in mind.

Mayhew has a ton of work left to improve this defense. The back 7 looks horrible right now. They will need to add 4-5 players that can come in and contribute right away. I'm not sure if he can find that many quality players for 2010 in the later rounds of the draft and 2nd & 3rd free agent periods.
    My guess is the Lions know they have another 3-6 win team next year, so they will treat this year pretty much the same as last year, with 2011 being the target year to possibly be playoff competitive.

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    My guess is the Lions know they have another 3-6 win team next year, so they will treat this year pretty much the same as last year, with 2011 being the target year to possibly be playoff competitive.
    Exactly. The Lions have found enough starters and replacements this season to improve. If they can do the same thing next offseason, they could be pretty good. It's not a one-year fix though.

Blog Entries

Another LB the Lions might have on the roster: Cliff Avril.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

See ya.

Some of us have been saying Sims was the most overrated player on the Lions for years, others are still caught up in 40 times from 5 years ago.

Look, if you want a player to run himself out of position at a high rate of speed, Ernie Sims is your man. If you want someone to chase down a running back 10 yards downfield when someone else would have been in position to tackle him 2 yards downfield, Ernie Sims is your man.

He never developed as a linebacker.

Get ready for lots of two tightend sets. I think this means the Lions go running back in round two or three. POUND THE ROCK! Wait, different regime...
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

CapitalTigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Odd move. There must be something else in the works.

LineCrosser is offline MotownSports Fan

Agrees with you in what way? Seems like a pretty straight reporting job, with no opinion attached to it.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I just read the Seifert story. Didn't have my sound on, and didn't realize you were referring to the video.

Never mind.
    Last edited by LineCrosser; 04-19-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    As God is my witness... I thought turkeys could fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    Agrees with you in what way? Seems like a pretty straight reporting job, with no opinion attached to it.
    Andy Reid has a quote that agrees with Cruzer...I think that's what he's referring to.

We shall see. I'm not sure where aging LB's in Peterson & possibly adding Bulluck would fit, as both wouldn't have much value in a plan centered around 2011. If they cut Peterson and stay away from Bulluck then I'll definitely agree with you.
    VT

Blog Entries

Andy Reid has a quote that agrees with Cruzer...I think that's what he's referring to.
    No, watch the video with Adam Shefter, where calls Sims clearly the marquee player in this deal.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Mschottey1985 View Post
    Almost a month ago, I asked Keith Bulluck on Twitter why he wasn't a Lion yet and his response was, "Schwartz knows where my house is too--just a mile from Keith. If I was going to Detroit, he'd have been there"

Then, during the beginning of the Haynesworth speculation, the same person who told me Haynesworth wanted to be in Detroit said Bulluck did too.

Now, the path is pretty clear for him.
    Why? He's 33 and coming off an ACL injury.

Doesn't seem like a good fit for a team building for a future beyond 2010.
    VT

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

I've always thought that the Schwartz was referring largely to Sims when he said the team needed to get bigger on the front 7, so I'm not suprised he's gone.

Levy looked good playing weakside last year....Wouldn't it be great to trade out of the #2 pick to nab Rolando McClain to play MLB and then use the extra picks to address CB, RB and OL depth?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzaki View Post
    I've always thought that the Schwartz was referring largely to Sims when he said the team needed to get bigger on the front 7, so I'm not suprised he's gone.

Levy looked good playing weakside last year....Wouldn't it be great to trade out of the #2 pick to nab Rolando McClain to play MLB and then use the extra picks to address CB, RB and OL depth?
    Heck no.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Heck no.
    No, but it makes you wonder if they're more likely to accept a trade offer at the top of the 2nd, forsaking maybe a RB or CB they would have normally taken, to get a slightly lower rated LB and some extra picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    No, but it makes you wonder if they're more likely to accept a trade offer at the top of the 2nd, forsaking maybe a RB or CB they would have normally taken, to get a slightly lower rated LB and some extra picks.
    They need a corner and a running back, too. Bigger priorities, imo. They might have their eye on somebody lower. It's a deep pool of LB's, although Washington is the one clear WLB.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

They need a corner and a running back, too. Bigger priorities, imo. They might have their eye on somebody lower. It's a deep pool of LB's, although Washington is the one clear WLB.
    Yeah, see, this is what bothers me about this deal. I won't partcularly miss Sims, and I think Scheffler and Pettigrew could make a wicked TE combo, But they just made a small hole in the defense bigger, when they already need to patch bigger holes like CB and DL.

Was the prospect of Heller and Gronkowski backing up Pettigrew so objectionable that they'd part with a starter who could at least fill a LB spot until he could go into free agency next year?

slfairless is offline MotownSports Fan

This trade makes no sense to me at all.
    You can find me on facebook... slfairless@hotmail.com

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

He doesn't agree with ANYTHING. What did he say about Sims?

"He'll start. He's a former first round pick!"

As usual, slanted stuff from cruzer
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    He doesn't agree with ANYTHING. What did he say about Sims?

"He'll start. He's a former first round pick!"

As usual, slanted stuff from cruzer
    He said he's the marquee player in this trade.

As usual, an incorrect post from Vonlenska.
    Last edited by cruzer1; 04-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

proxima3 is offline MotownSports Fan

He said he's the marquee player in this trade.

As usual, an incorrect post from Vonlenska.
    Sims is indeed the marquee name in the deal. But more so because of his top ten draft status, not for anything he's done on the field.
    Randy

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

That doesn't mean anything. Of COURSE Sims is the "marquee" player in this trade, he's a young athletic linebacker. He's the marquee player because he's a bigger name, and was a former first round pick.

I don't care who he says the marquee player is in the trade. That doesn't mean the Lions lost the trade. Ernie Sims simply was not that good of a LB.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by proxima3 View Post
    Sims is indeed the marquee name in the deal. But more so because of his top ten draft status, not for anything he's done on the field.
    It was his opinion that he was the marquee player in this deal.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post

Get ready for lots of two tightend sets. I think this means the Lions go running back in round two or three. POUND THE ROCK! Wait, different regime...
    Scheffler isn't really a rock pounding kind of TE. he's more of a field stretching TE. when they run 2 TE sets, expect a lot of Scheffler split out wide, maybe put in motion across the formation to pull safety help away from CJ, or some H-backish kind of stuff. but not a lot of in-line blocking.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

It was his opinion that he was the marquee player in this deal.
    that isn't saying much when the pick in the deal that provided "equivalent" value to the players involved was a 5th rounder.

there is nothing "marquee" about a player worth a 5th round pick, unless it's some disenchanted veteran that a team is desperate to unload rather than release(i.e. randy moss). and even he, at that point, was very, very damaged goods.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    that isn't saying much when the pick in the deal that provided "equivalent" value to the players involved was a 5th rounder.

there is nothing "marquee" about a player worth a 5th round pick, unless it's some disenchanted veteran that a team is desperate to unload rather than release(i.e. randy moss). and even he, at that point, was very, very damaged goods.
    All of these fifth rounder trades are players with diminished value because they have one year left on their deals.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

"Restore the Roar" has been the Lion's creed for 20 years.
    20?? I think you meant 60 didn't you?

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slfairless View Post
    This trade makes no sense to me at all.
    +1

Trading a starting LB for a backup TE doesn't seem too smart to me.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Scheffler isn't really a rock pounding kind of TE. he's more of a field stretching TE. when they run 2 TE sets, expect a lot of Scheffler split out wide, maybe put in motion across the formation to pull safety help away from CJ, or some H-backish kind of stuff. but not a lot of in-line blocking.
    I've always thought a Double-TE base set would be an interesting idea. I think part of what makes the 3-4 such an interesting and potentially dangerous defense is that offenses don't know where the 4th rusher is coming from. I think a double TE could do the same on offense. The defense doesn't know if 2,1, or 0 TEs are coming out to run a pattern or staying in to protect. I think it could be a very interesting offense.

Now, having said that I'm not sure I'm a fan of this deal. I don't know much about Scheffler, but I think Sims did play well last year. He did, however, have a number of injuries to work through and probably isn't the ideal fit for the defense the Lions are running now. I guess we'll see how it plays out, but for now I'm not real high on the trade.

sportz4life is offline Released

To all who identify Sims as a Starting LB..he was benched last season..getting benched on the worst defense in football is never a good sign..

Sims has become frequently injured, rarely shrewd in mastering his assignments and frankly no longer fits the scheme the Lions run defensively, he was drafted to play in the Tampa 2.

so the idea he is a big loss, is not very accurate.

Blog Entries

Most teams go double TE against the 3-4 defense, such as GB. It neutralizes the outside rush.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    20?? I think you meant 60 didn't you?
    I am being optomistic. : )

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sportz4life View Post
    To all who identify Sims as a Starting LB..he was benched last season..getting benched on the worst defense in football is never a good sign..

Sims has become frequently injured, rarely shrewd in mastering his assignments and frankly no longer fits the scheme the Lions run defensively, he was drafted to play in the Tampa 2.

so the idea he is a big loss, is not very accurate.
    He was not benched, he was injured. He was starting when he came back from injury and played well.

And for all you calling him injury prone, he played 16 games all of his first 3 years. Scheffler has missed more NFL games than Sims has

Im not against trading Sims, but why do it for a guy at a position where you have a younger more talented option ahead of him where he has no shot at being the starter. Thats what makes no sense to me.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast