Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 NFL Draft

Mschottey1985 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 2010 NFL Draft

Well, its the bye week, about that time.

Did my October version of the 2010 Mock. Here's Detroit's picks.

8. Detroit Eric Berry (S/CB Tennessee)
    No defensive player in the 2010 Draft has the instincts and ability that Eric Berry has. He'll run around a 4.4 at the combine and solidify his top 10 status.

Detroit could go a lot of ways with this pick, but the intrigue of pairing Berry with Delmas for the next 10 years will be too alluring. Now to work on that defensive line...

40) Detroit: Marvin Austin (DT North Carolina)

Best player available is also at a position of need for the Lions with this selection. The Lions are looking for another big hoss up front and Austin fits the bill. The Tar Heel is 6'3", over 300 lbs., and runs like a middle linebacker.
    Here's the rest of the Draft

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

More than likely it'll be

OT -

WR/RB

Every year I hope the Lions take defense seriously. Every year they disappoint me.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

They're only picking 8th? Are you projecting a relatively successful 12 remaining games for the Lions? I would suspect the Lions pick 5th at the lowest, and they still have a good chance of getting the 1st overall pick again -- especially if Daunte and Stanton are the starting QBs the rest of the year.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

In the abstract I thought that was too low for Eric Berry though looking at the list it's not completely unrealistic. GREAT player, him or Mays.

Clausen doesn't have similar arm strength to Stafford, Jimmy will probably be a top-10 pick but I'd guess Jake Locker goes before him.
    If you don't think Clausen has done much in college you might want to pull up his stat sheet for this year, he should be in the Heisman conversation, he's having an amazing year.

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    More than likely it'll be

OT -

WR/RB

Every year I hope the Lions take defense seriously. Every year they disappoint me.
    I just don't think the OT position will have value for a team that was so intent on BPA last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    They're only picking 8th? Are you projecting a relatively successful 12 remaining games for the Lions? I would suspect the Lions pick 5th at the lowest, and they still have a good chance of getting the 1st overall pick again -- especially if Daunte and Stanton are the starting QBs the rest of the year.
    Nope, but I take a hands off approach to draft order. I copy and pasted the order from Walter Football on Saturday and didn't make any changes. At the end of the year when it solidifies order matters, otherwise, its a crap shoot.

Hopefully the Lions can eke out two more wins and stay around #8

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    In the abstract I thought that was too low for Eric Berry though looking at the list it's not completely unrealistic. GREAT player, him or Mays.

Clausen doesn't have similar arm strength to Stafford, Jimmy will probably be a top-10 pick but I'd guess Jake Locker goes before him.
    If you don't think Clausen has done much in college you might want to pull up his stat sheet for this year, he should be in the Heisman conversation, he's having an amazing year.
    I think Clausen is outside of the convo after USC even though he had a really good second half. However, "not doing anything" is still a solid analysis when comparing him to the career numbers of McCoy, Stafford, Tebow.

I was just making a sarcastic post more than anything. But it wouldn't shock me to see the Lions use their first two picks to select a RB, OT or a WR. It's just what they do - neglect defense so that they can improve that potent offense of theirs.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Elevate is offline MotownSports Fan

1. The Lions will be picking much higher.
    2. Eric Berry will never last that long.

Mock drafts are fun but such a crapshoot.

BigBoiKzoo is offline MotownSports Fan

I wouldn't mind Berry. We seriously need a pass rushing DE instead of a big hog in the middle. Hill and Cohen seem to be coming along and they're both 300+ lbs. We could get one in the second round though. Brandon Graham will be another Woodley or better.

Porcelain God is offline MotownSports Fan

Berry would be fine if they intend to keep him at CB. I think two first rounders at safety is a bit of overkill though.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

The Lions have so many holes on defense that they could draft almost any position and it would be an immediate upgrade.

DE, DT or CB seem like they should be the first priorities. Take the highest player on their draft boards at one of those positions and they should be fine.

Or a LT because they desperately need one of those too.

Any chance the Cowboys want to give up a #1 pick for Dennis Northcutt? Oh well, dare to dream, right?
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain God View Post
    Berry would be fine if they intend to keep him at CB. I think two first rounders at safety is a bit of overkill though.
    Who is our other first round safety?
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

JonBenke is offline Released

pairing Berry with Delmas for the next 10 years will be too alluring
    I love when people assume that these kids will be playing 10 years of football, let alone all in the same place. Does that happen anymore?

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I like Eric Berry, but I don't feel he's worth that type of pick, unless he runs an unexpected freakish 40. The Lions need linemen and corners much more, so safety would be a wasted pick right now. The 3 guys they need to hone in on right now are 1. Gerald McCoy (the best player in the draft right now, almost a perfect player who's a menace every play); 2. Nda Suh (he plays much higher than McCoy, and might be a better fit as a LDE); and 3. Carlos Dunlap (he might have the most physical ability, but doesn't show up on every play right now. He might be suffering from the same problems Mario Williams had, he gets doubled on every play, and plays multiple positions). At corner, there isn't the high rent type as the two safeties (I think Mays has better talent than Berry), but there are those that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There's really good talent and depth at QB, WR, OL, DL, OLB (phenomenal year), ILB and good year at CB and S. At this time, I think the high end talent is a little down from last year, but it's a little deeper.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

By the way, I think the Lions got a real gem last year in Murtha, who has the physical ability to develop into a top LT in my mind. LT shouldn't be much of a consideration this year, but if there's a player in the 2nd or 3rd who's too good to pass up, the Lions need to consider it at that time. QB isn't a consideration at all, TE isn't a consideration either. All other positions are up for grabs.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan

I would love to see the Lions look at Quentin Groves from Jacksonville, or even Glenn Dorsey (if the price is right - maybe Julian Peterson?).

As far as the draft, I have faith that we will continue go BPA.

I think Mschotty is pretty spot on placing the Lions around 8th in the draft. I expect us to finish ahead of the Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Panthers and Browns if not Bills and the Raiders.

I share cruzer's excitement in Murtha, I think he could be an absolute gem (think former UFA Jason Peters). I would not have any problem drafting a WR to give Stafford more weapons, but there is no huge holes that I would look to fix offensive in the first few rounds of the draft. I would like us to pick up some raw, physical interior line prospects in the later rounds.

Personally, I think the secondary is where we should focus. Eric Berry or Mays would be gems if they slide to us, but that depends on Ko Simpson's play the rest of the year.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

TonyJM is offline MotownSports Fan

Black entered the year a late first-rounder, but scouts are iffy on his athleticism, and he hasn't performed as well as he did as junior (thus far). Regardless, he had two really sharp seasons in a tough conference, is a big dude and a great character guy. He's played against some top ends in his career at LSU. If he's available in the second, I'd be tempted to take him.

Regarding Berry...He's a fun guy to watch, and he (or Dunlap) would be the best guy available in that mock. But adding a second safety to a team with no cover corners or pass rushers would be pretty frustrating. In your mock, I'd probably opt for Dunlap/Black, or maybe McCoy/Black depending on how the other ends grade out.

-Tony
    Last edited by TonyJM; 10-19-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

I was just making a sarcastic post more than anything. But it wouldn't shock me to see the Lions use their first two picks to select a RB, OT or a WR. It's just what they do - neglect defense so that they can improve that potent offense of theirs.
    Seeing as how the Lewand-Mayhew-Schwartz team has been together for all of one draft, it might be premature to say that drafting offense is "what they do".

And by the way, if the next Adrian Peterson was on the board at whatever slot the Lions get in 2010, would they be wrong to neglect defense and take him?

Stormin' Norman is offline MotownSports Fan

If there is an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson available at our pick, the Lions should take him.
    Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. -Alexander Hamilton
    AAL: Glover Quin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_R View Post
    Seeing as how the Lewand-Mayhew-Schwartz team has been together for all of one draft, it might be premature to say that drafting offense is "what they do".

And by the way, if the next Adrian Peterson was on the board at whatever slot the Lions get in 2010, would they be wrong to neglect defense and take him?
    He's not there, though. But I'd do that in a second.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    If there is an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson available at our pick, the Lions should take him.
    I would personally rather have CJ Spiller than any of the offensive tackles in this draft. If the top defensive guys are gone, and a trade down isn't available, CJ would be my pick.

pape06 is offline MotownSports Fan

It's pretty far from April to accurately speculate on the draft, but with our pass defense the way it is, I think a pass rushing DE and a cover corner are needs 1a and 1b. A 1st/2nd round combination of Brandon Graham and Kyle Wilson is something I'd be very happy with.
    2011 Adopted Tiger - Emmanuel Del Orbe
    10-11 Adopted Red Wing - Justin Abdelkader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pape06 View Post
    It's pretty far from April to accurately speculate on the draft, but with our pass defense the way it is, I think a pass rushing DE and a cover corner are needs 1a and 1b. A 1st/2nd round combination of Brandon Graham and Kyle Wilson is something I'd be very happy with.
    Both of those players are rather small, although they are physical players. I don't see Graham going that high, he's more likely a solid 2nd rounder.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mschottey1985 View Post
    I would personally rather have CJ Spiller than any of the offensive tackles in this draft. If the top defensive guys are gone, and a trade down isn't available, CJ would be my pick.
    RB's are a dime a dozen. The Lions picked up Brown in the 6th, and Tristan Davis as an UDFA last year. I think they're fine there.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Jonesy is offline MotownSports Fan

Trevard Lindley CB University of Kentucky
    Micah Johnson LB University Of Kentucky
    Cory Peters DT University of Kentucky

Seeing a pattern here??
    :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Trevard Lindley CB University of Kentucky
    Micah Johnson LB University Of Kentucky
    Cory Peters DT University of Kentucky

Seeing a pattern here??
    :-)
    Nope, not at all.

Lindley needs to run, but he's got good size, and should be a 2nd/bottom first. If he runs extremely well, the sky's the limit.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Nate7474 is offline MotownSports Fan

I would agree with this and would add DT as the 3rd biggest need. I would love a first 3 rounds as something like this...

1) Dunlap-DE- Florida
    2) Ghee- CB- WF
    3) Oghobasse-DT-Duke

But with that said I would not be upset with Berry being the pick at all as imo hes one of the better defensive players in college football right now.

Hart is offline MotownSports Fan

The Lions should be in good shape for the draft. I would imagine three quarterbacks will go in the top 10 (Bradford, Locker, Clausen, McCoy?) so that should open the door for some other guys to drop a little further than usual. And this draft is quite a bit stronger at the top than last years.

My top two choices would be Berry and McCoy, hands down. Forget that Berry is a safety. He is an absolute stud playmaker who would make a huge impact on defense immediately. If he drops to us because he is a safety, the Lions should snatch him immediately.

Brandon Graham at this point is a late first, early second rounder.

I haven't seen Suh play but I guess I would throw him in there with Berry and McCoy as well.

Hongbit is offline MotownSports Fan

Guys that are 6'3 235 with the combination of speed & power like Taylor Mays don't fall far on most draft boards.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Turn the volume down on this one as it's better without the cheesy mashup.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
    VT

Hongbit is offline MotownSports Fan

I may be wrong but I think once people get a better look at him and really analyze the full package Jake Locker will emerge as the top QB in this draft. He's got great physical skills and throws on the run better than many current NFL starters. He's got to stay healthy the rest of the year or his injury history could become a concern to scouts.
    VT

pape06 is offline MotownSports Fan

Mays and Suh will almost certainly go 1 and 2, and I don't see the Lions picking that high unless Stafford is out for the season, and I'm counting on him being healthy. I both envy and sympathize with whichever team has the #1 pick.
    2011 Adopted Tiger - Emmanuel Del Orbe
    10-11 Adopted Red Wing - Justin Abdelkader

Mays and Suh will almost certainly go 1 and 2, and I don't see the Lions picking that high unless Stafford is out for the season, and I'm counting on him being healthy. I both envy and sympathize with whichever team has the #1 pick.
    I disagree. If you look at the handful of teams that have a shot at the #1 pick, pretty much all of them are going to be in dire need of quarterback, similar to the Lions situation last year. It is highly likely the #1 pick is a quarterback.

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    I disagree. If you look at the handful of teams that have a shot at the #1 pick, pretty much all of them are going to be in dire need of quarterback, similar to the Lions situation last year. It is highly likely the #1 pick is a quarterback.
    And take who? Bradford who will basically have missed the whole year, he might even be back at Oklahoma next year. Colt McCoy? He hasnt looked that great this season. Jimmy Clausen? I doubt anyone would take him 1st.

To be honest, I think Honbit is right, if a qb goes 1 i think it might be Locker
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mac View Post
    And take who? Bradford who will basically have missed the whole year, he might even be back at Oklahoma next year. Colt McCoy? He hasnt looked that great this season. Jimmy Clausen? I doubt anyone would take him 1st.

To be honest, I think Honbit is right, if a qb goes 1 i think it might be Locker
    Locker and Bradford will be the two top rated quarterbacks in the draft. I am not sure how scouts will treat Bradford but I would be surprised if he drops out of the top 5. I am also betting Locker to be the #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_R View Post

Two-thirds of that group has been around for much more than one year, and the defense was seriously neglected in the past. Last year, the Lions had the worst defense, possibly in NFL history. The first two selections were on offense with one being a tight end.

So far the group hasn't done much to break that offensive tradition that has been established in the past.

sportz4life is offline Released

Two-thirds of that group has been around for much more than one year, and the defense was seriously neglected in the past. Last year, the Lions had the worst defense, possibly in NFL history. The first two selections were on offense with one being a tight end.

So far the group hasn't done much to break that offensive tradition that has been established in the past.
    If the Lions could actually run the ball, it may allow the defense to improve because they wouldn't be on the field the entire game.

The Detroit Lions roster has precious few real quality players. To do anything less than to take the BPA wouldn't be real wise.
    Last edited by sportz4life; 10-20-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' Norman View Post
    I would love to see the Lions look at Quentin Groves from Jacksonville, or even Glenn Dorsey (if the price is right - maybe Julian Peterson?).

As far as the draft, I have faith that we will continue go BPA.

I think Mschotty is pretty spot on placing the Lions around 8th in the draft. I expect us to finish ahead of the Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Panthers and Browns if not Bills and the Raiders.

I share cruzer's excitement in Murtha, I think he could be an absolute gem (think former UFA Jason Peters). I would not have any problem drafting a WR to give Stafford more weapons, but there is no huge holes that I would look to fix offensive in the first few rounds of the draft. I would like us to pick up some raw, physical interior line prospects in the later rounds.

Personally, I think the secondary is where we should focus. Eric Berry or Mays would be gems if they slide to us, but that depends on Ko Simpson's play the rest of the year.
    Murtha doesn't have the footwork to play tackle. Peters was a find because he was a TE who bulked up. Murtha already has the bulk, but he doesn't have the footwork, and he probably never will.

I liked the pick as a flyer in the 7th round, but to expect him to be on the team next year or two years from now might be asking too much. Hope I'm wrong, though.

I want the Lions to get bigger and badder on the lines with the 8th pick. If there's no left tackle worth the pick, then take the best DT or DE unless there's a corner that blows your socks off that's still left.

Can't see them taking another safety that high.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Shinzaki is offline MotownSports Fan

I think they'll be going to a 3-4 nxt year. That will have an impact on the draft. They might think Hill and another year of Grady covers NT well enough...drafting aDT becomes less likely. They'll need more physical DE's though...not sure Flu, Cohen or White are suited for it....assuming Flu and Cohen are too small for NT.

If they go 3-4, I think they go LB and DB at 1-2....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Murtha doesn't have the footwork to play tackle. Peters was a find because he was a TE who bulked up. Murtha already has the bulk, but he doesn't have the footwork, and he probably never will.

I liked the pick as a flyer in the 7th round, but to expect him to be on the team next year or two years from now might be asking too much. Hope I'm wrong, though.

I want the Lions to get bigger and badder on the lines with the 8th pick. If there's no left tackle worth the pick, then take the best DT or DE unless there's a corner that blows your socks off that's still left.

Can't see them taking another safety that high.
    His feet are his strength. He ran one of the better 40's for a tackle I've ever seen at the combine last year, showing his elite athleticism. He just needs more experience, and to stay healthy.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Blog Entries

I disagree. McCoy is ahead of Suh right now. Suh plays too high. There are others, who can make their way into the top 10. I also like Locker.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast