Thread: Fire Stan Kwan!

keystone is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Fire Stan Kwan!

I believe that the coaching staff of the Lions is much improved with the exception of the lone holdover Stan Kwan special teams coach. ST sucked last year and are by a large margin the weakest link this year. They were responsible for much of the poor field position we had all game and the kick off return touchdown. Aaron Brown fumbled the kickoff twice resulting in poor returns. Surely there is some unemployed coach out there who could do a better job. Time to kick Kwan to the curb.
    It is remarkable how much a pinch of malice enhances the power of an idea or an opinion. Our ears, it seems, are wonderfully attuned to sneers and evil reports about our fellow men. - Eric Hoffer

TomBrookens is offline MotownSports Fan

+1

It seemed like all day yesterday the Lions were starting drives inside of their own 15 while da Bears were starting theirs at mid field. Not to mention the return for a TD and (once again) a handful of penalties when the Lions were returning kicks.
    Vote Quimby

BigBoiKzoo is offline MotownSports Fan

Our special teams are awful again. I agree also that I'm completely lost how Kwan has held on this long. Of course I can't put the total blame on him. Our guys didn't look like they were getting down the field quickly. The returner, on punts, was at least 5 yards down field before our first defenders were even there.

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Totally agree on this. Kwan has to go.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I thought this thread was bumped from 3 years ago.

Nope.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

If Kwan is so bad (which I tend to agree he is), why have the two previous coaching regimes - Marinelli and Swartz (the later being touted as a much better head coach) - retained him? Perhaps they blame the talent more than the coaching?

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Somehow I knew I'd see this thread today.
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

I know this is going to be unpopular, but I think he's more a victim of bad players than anything else.

I think he's getting the crap of crap to work with. More than any place, it's special teams that should show.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    If Kwan is so bad (which I tend to agree he is), why have the two previous coaching regimes - Marinelli and Swartz (the later being touted as a much better head coach) - retained him? Perhaps they blame the talent more than the coaching?
    I agree. The HC needs to base his decision on whether the schemes are sound, the talent gathering is a different matter altogether. We all know the Lions are light on team speed.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    I know this is going to be unpopular, but I think he's more a victim of bad players than anything else.

I think he's getting the crap of crap to work with. More than any place, it's special teams that should show.
    That was the excuse last year. But with a 50% turnover in the roster from last year you'd think he could find 10 consistent players in the group (not counting the kickers of course)
    It is remarkable how much a pinch of malice enhances the power of an idea or an opinion. Our ears, it seems, are wonderfully attuned to sneers and evil reports about our fellow men. - Eric Hoffer

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

He and Jason Hanson are dating. And you don't piss off the MVP.

Hey, I'm speculating! Leave me alone!
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

Wasn't there a rather steep drop from Priefer's last year and Kwan's first?
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by keystone View Post
    That was the excuse last year. But with a 50% turnover in the roster from last year you'd think he could find 10 consistent players in the group (not counting the kickers of course)
    I think it still fits this year as well. I don't think he's out there teaching some idiotic technique that has never been proven and he's getting blown out of the water because of it.

I'm not even really saying he should or shouldn't be fired. Sometimes change is a good thing. And getting rid of anyone from the past can always be looked upon as a good thing. However, I think he's more a victim of his players than anything else. I seriously doubt he just can't flat out coach.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

El Gato Pollo Loco!! is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    I thought this thread was bumped from 3 years ago.

Nope.
    I thought the same thing. I agree with it's sentiment though. Kwan needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    However, I think he's more a victim of his players than anything else. I seriously doubt he just can't flat out coach.
    You may be right. Unfortunately for Kwan there's only one way to find out for sure.

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Ever hear how he got into coaching? He was in the marketing department with the Lions writing for the gameday program and became friends with Dan Henning when he was here. Henning hired him as an assistant in the football operations, mostly running copies and other office jobs for the coaching staff. From there he worked his way onto the coaching staff.

All this was in the Thanksgiving game issue of the gameday program last year. I had to read it twice because I was sure I had read it wrong. Only the Lions would hire a writer to be their Special Teams coach.

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe they will hold an open tryout for the coaching position. They could match people up in Madden. Winner gets a coaching spot.
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

Big Frame is offline MotownSports Fan

At least they havent faked punted on there 13 yard line.
    2014 AAT- Gene Lamont

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frame View Post
    At least they havent faked punted on there 13 yard line.
    I thunk that were a accidunt by Lasko -- ain't un desineed phulay by You of Emm.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I don't know if the guy can coach or not. We certainly have had great talent while he's been here .. but I am surprised that he's stayed on this long.
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

azzurri is offline MotownSports Fan

I keep thinking Kwan has knowledge or pictures of Ford Jr driving up to a fast food drive thru window. Why else could this clown still have a job in the NFL? It's not the talent...special teams is more about heart and desire and scheme than pure talent. Besides, other teams do miracles with new coaching staffs and the same talent (Denver defense, anyone?) and this stiff's special teams blow year after year, no matter the players.

BigBoiKzoo is offline MotownSports Fan

I know team speed plays into it, but he has to be able to teach them to play better knowing that lack of speed. If you cover your lanes and can shed blocks, there shouldn't be huge plays.

I also don't think that was a mistake by Mesko. He didn't have strong pressure and the snap wasn't high or low.