Thread: Rod Marinelli

Euphdude is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Rod Marinelli

Several people on this board seem to think that Marinelli is a good-to-great NFL head coach - despite the fact that during his only year of head coaching experience he went 3-13. I know that he talks a good game and seems like the kind of guy you'd want to follow into battle, but I've seen nothing from him to suggest that he's a "great coach", although he does seem like a good motivator.

So - what is it about Marinelli that makes some believe he's a good head coach?

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

The main thing for me was how the teams' play improved as the season went on last year. Especially considering how there were so many injuries the talent level was reduced to signing almost the entire DL & OL straight off the street. Look at the names who started the last 3-4 games, they are nobodys! But the team played pretty well in those games.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

I think that says more about the "talent" in the Lions starting line-up than it does about Marinelli.

He made a few questionable decisions last year as head coach. The team was obviously going to go through a transition period since it was working on a new offense and defense. We should hopefully see some improvement this year.

As far as improving down the stretch and playing hard, I think you can say that about a lot of NFL teams at the end of the year. I don't think it says much about Marinelli or his ability as a head coach.

Didn't Gary Moeller go 3-2 down the stretch as Lions head coach when Ross quit? Does that mean he's a great NFL coach too?
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post

Didn't Gary Moeller go 3-2 down the stretch as Lions head coach when Ross quit? Does that mean he's a great NFL coach too?

A question that will never be answered thanks to the infinite wisdom of Matt Millen.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I never said Marinelli was a "great" coach, and anybody who does say he is a great head coach is getting way ahead of themselves. I think he is a good coach, but, to be more accurate, I should say that he looks like he is going to be a good coach because he hasn't even had one good season yet.

syrett4 is offline MotownSports Fan

What I love about Marinelli is he expects high performance and only wants guys that want to be Lions. I don't ever remember 3 members of the Lions all declaring 10 wins is not only possible but expected.

Even if they fall short this year, (I think 6 wins) I love the direction they are headded in. There finally seems to be a plan in place. Time will tell.
    But you aren't a man. Men are not supposed to like Streisand movies. Its just not right. - Estrepe1 VT

Tigercub33 is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think much of him. I look forward to being proven wrong in the next 2 years though.
    MTS Usual Suspects: banded together, mocking those who dare disagree with our way of thinking.
    ignorance = ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    I never said Marinelli was a "great" coach, and anybody who does say he is a great head coach is getting way ahead of themselves. I think he is a good coach, but, to be more accurate, I should say that he looks like he is going to be a good coach because he hasn't even had one good season yet.
    Ok. I hope you're right. I like Marinelli and hope they get better under him.

I agree with Syrett4, some other good things about Marinelli:
    1. Considers all 40 guys as very important, not just starters.
    2. Every position on the roster, including starting spots, is open to competition.
    3. Challenges each and every player to improve and be their best, but in a positive way.
    4. Demands very high practice level and pushes the players to their limit in order to prepare for 4th quarter of games.
    5. Delegates offensive responsibilities to Martz, able to work with Martz's ego.
    6. Builds strong relationships with other coaches, both in the system (Barry's) and outside (Dungy, Lovie, etc).

bawanaal is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercub33 View Post
    I don't think much of him. I look forward to being proven wrong in the next 2 years though.
    I'm with T33. Marinelli hasn't proved anything as a head coach, other than he can lose just as many games as Marty and Mooch. Marinelli has been mostly talk to this point.

Despite saying all the right things, a 3-13 record isn't going to get him the benefit of the doubt. Remember, Bobby Ross preached discipline, said the same sort of things as Marinelli, and he actually had a track record. We all know how that ended.

Now that he has supposedly cleared out the locker room malcontents, I think this coming season is the make or break year for Marinelli. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have my hopes up.

syrett4 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bawanaal View Post
    I'm with T33. Marinelli hasn't proved anything as a head coach, other than he can lose just as many games as Marty and Mooch. Marinelli has been mostly talk to this point.

Despite saying all the right things, a 3-13 record isn't going to get him the benefit of the doubt. Remember, Bobby Ross preached discipline, said the same sort of things as Marinelli, and he actually had a track record. We all know how that ended.

Now that he has supposedly cleared out the locker room malcontents, I think this coming season is the make or break year for Marinelli. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't have my hopes up.
    If they can get back to competing for the playoffs every year, its a step in the right direction. I long for the Bobby Ross days of 8-8. Ok...that just sounds weird.
    But you aren't a man. Men are not supposed to like Streisand movies. Its just not right. - Estrepe1 VT

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

Why should we believe in Marinelli? Because he wrestled a bear.

Now if you can't get motivated by a guy intense enough to wrestle a bear - but sporting enough to try to shake the bear's hand after pinning it to the ground - you can't get motivated by anybody. (Are you listening, Shawn Rogers?) Sure, motivation ain't everything, but in the NFL it counts for a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_R View Post
    Why should we believe in Marinelli? Because he wrestled a bear.

Now if you can't get motivated by a guy intense enough to wrestle a bear - but sporting enough to try to shake the bear's hand after pinning it to the ground - you can't get motivated by anybody. (Are you listening, Shawn Rogers?) Sure, motivation ain't everything, but in the NFL it counts for a lot.
    Yes, it's nifty that he wrastl'd a bear - that was declawed and muzzled.

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Euphdude View Post
    Yes, it's nifty that he wrastl'd a bear - that was declawed and muzzled.
    You say it like its easy.

Don't get me wrong, the guy hasn't proven anything except that he's nuts enough to believe he can get the Lions to win, and persuasive enough to get the Lions to believe they can win.

No, we can't say he's proven himself as even an average head coach, but no head coach becomes great without the ability to motivate men that Marinelli has demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    I agree with Syrett4, some other good things about Marinelli:
    1. Considers all 40 guys as very important, not just starters.
    2. Every position on the roster, including starting spots, is open to competition.
    3. Challenges each and every player to improve and be their best, but in a positive way.
    4. Demands very high practice level and pushes the players to their limit in order to prepare for 4th quarter of games.
    5. Delegates offensive responsibilities to Martz, able to work with Martz's ego.
    6. Builds strong relationships with other coaches, both in the system (Barry's) and outside (Dungy, Lovie, etc).
    I think you can say similar things about almost every coach the Lions have ever had.

This is my point, to echo Bawanaal's point, we've heard all this before. The Lions go from players coach to disciplinarian to players coach to disciplinarian. Just like almost every franchise. Marinelli is no different from Ross except he's not the GM (which is a good thing, except that Millen is the GM, which is a bad thing) and Ross actually had a winning pedigree as a head coach before the Lions voodoo broke him.

I agree that Marinelli says the right things. At least he says the things that FANS want to hear from a coach of a bunch of (what fans consider to be) pampered athletes. But we'll see if it actually works on the field.

At the end of the day, Marinelli might need to leave the defense alone and concentrate on being a head coach, not a DLine coach with the title of head coach. I was really unimpressed with his in-game skills this year and results-wise, he's no better than Morninweg, who, IIRC, had the Lions in a LOT of games as well, but couldn't win either.

kajoreh is offline MotownSports Fan

only one season so far...

data is way too incomplete...

(check belicheks first year as an example...not saying rod is or isn't...just that such a small sample size effects perceptions)

come back after at least 5 years on the job and then you can even begin to take a guess...

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

That is correct.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

sgtricc is offline MotownSports Fan

the look on Parcels face after the Dallas game last year....

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not sure about him yet, he talks a good game, but then again so do most coaches. What troubles me, is the lack of improvement last year, most guys who have rough first seasons, at least you see the team get better during the season, I think the Lions got worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1 View Post
    That is correct.
    I agree cruzer. We'll have a better idea how good a coach Marinelli is after this year, and nearly a complete picture after the 2009 season (if he lasts that long).