Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Shinma is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default 9/22/13. Lions @ Redskins. 1:05pm. Fox. Week 3.

The Lions try to rebound on the road against the Skins

Presents the following thread:

AT

(1-1) @ (0-2)

Your Detroit Lions
    AT
    The Washington Redskins

NFC Conference
    Week 3

Date: September 22nd, 2013
    Time: 1:05pm EST

This game is a presentation of:

Television Broadcast Provided by:

FOX - DirecTv Channel 713
    Online: Feed2All. (Ad-block recommended)

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

Ch 112

Lions and Cardinals highlights:
    Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Rashard Mendenhall's late TD helps Arizona Cardinals edge Detroit Lions

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Carson Palmer knew Detroit's reputation for penalties, so when he let go of his pass with the game on the line, a pass interference call was a definite possibility.
    Sure enough, Lions cornerback Bill Bentley collided with receiver Andre Roberts in the end zone. A flag was thrown, a 31-yard penalty was called. It was Arizona's only third-down conversion -- in 10 tries -- of the day.
    Two plays later, Rashard Mendenhall scored on a 1-yard run with 1:59 to play and the Cardinals won 25-21 on Sunday in Bruce Arians' home debut as Arizona's coach.

"It's something we talked about a lot," Palmer said. "Those DBs play the receiver, they don't play the ball, and when we have opportunities and they're staring at the receiver, they're going to face-guard. Dre (Roberts) did a great job setting that up."
    Jay Feely kicked four field goals and Carson Palmer threw a 36-yard touchdown pass to rookie Andre Ellington for Arizona (1-1). Ellington, a sixth-round draft pick out of Clemson, also had a 16-yard catch to start the deciding drive.
    "It's not always going to be perfect," Arians said. "You've got to learn how to ride the emotions of the game, stay with it. I thought our coaches did a great job with some adjustments in the second half and some young kids really stepped up."
    Kerry Taylor, promoted from the practice squad Saturday, had three catches for 40 yards, all late in the game with Larry Fitzgerald sidelined with a sore hamstring. They were Taylor's first NFL catches.
    Matthew Stafford connected with Calvin Johnson on touchdown plays of 72 and 3 yards, and DeAndre Levy returned an interception 66 yards for a score for Detroit (1-1), which led 21-13 midway through the third quarter.
    Time and again, Detroit found itself starting deep in its own territory.
    "I feel like we lost the field position battle today big-time," Stafford said.

The Lions were penalized eight times for 101 yards.
    Asked how the team could cut down on that problem, Stafford said the Lions are trying.
    "We're making a concerted effort to try and play cleaner football this year," he said. "I don't know. Maybe (we should be) asking them to quit throwing flags on us, I don't know."
    Detroit's Reggie Bush left the game after taking a helmet to the knee early in the second quarter, and played only briefly in the second half.
    "I was able to go back in the game, but I wasn't myself," he said. "I probably shouldn't have gone back in the game, but I tried to give it a shot. We will see what happens this week. I am not sure, but I don't think it is anything serious."
    Detroit also was without standout defensive tackle Nick Fairley with a sore shoulder.
    Arizona's defense, which held the Lions' offense scoreless in the second half, forced Detroit to punt from its own 8-yard line late.
    "We pride ourselves on showing up when it matters," Arizona defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said, "and we showed up at the end of the game when it really mattered."
    The Cardinals took over at their 39 and Palmer's 16-yard pass to Ellington quickly moved it to Detroit's 45-yard line. The drive stalled at the 32, and on third-and-8. Palmer threw deep for Andre Roberts, who slowed down to wait for the ball and was hit by Bentley.
    After an incomplete pass, Palmer handed off to Mendenhall, who stretched the ball over the goal line with one hand for the deciding score.
    Palmer's pass on the two-point conversion attempt failed. The Lions hopes ended when Nate Burleson was stopped short of the first down by rookie Tyrann Mathieu.
    While Feely was good from 47, 23, 43 and 33 yards, Detroit's David Akers missed a 47-yarder and had another 47-yard attempt blocked by Justin Bethel.
    Stafford completed 24 of 36 for 278 yards and two TDs, but was only 8 of 16 for 77 yards in the second half. Palmer finished 22 of 39 for 248 yards.
    Actually, Akers misfired twice in Detroit's first scoring threat. His 52-yard attempt was wide right, but Bethel was called for running into the kicker. Then, Akers' 47-yard attempt was wide left.

Feely made his 47-yard try to put Arizona up 3-0 with 11:44 left in the half.
    Three plays later, Stafford threw short over the middle to Johnson, who raced 72 yards for the score. Arizona's Karlos Dansby had a chance to knock the pass down or intercept, but Stafford threw the ball so hard it zipped through the linebacker's hands.
    The Cardinals responded with a six-play, 80-yard drive on their next possession. Palmer lofted a 22-yard pass to Fitzgerald, then found Ellington open on a 36-yard play for the score to put Arizona up 10-7 with 7:32 to play in the second quarter.
    Detroit regained the lead with a 10-play, 92-yard touchdown drive capped by Stafford's 3-yard touchdown pass to Johnson with 1:55 left in the half.

Notes:
    After the game, Peterson asked Johnson to trade jerseys and the Lions star obliged. ... Besides defending Johnson and returning punts, Peterson also caught a pass and completed one. ... Detroit is the only team Arizona has beaten in the Cardinals' last 14 games. Arizona has beaten the Lions twice and gone 0-12 against everyone else ... Campbell got Arizona's first sack of the season.

NFC North Standings:
    Chicago (2-0) 1.000
    Detroit (1-1) .500
    Green Bay (1-1) .500
    Minnesota (0-2) .000

Lions Injury News:
    Reggie Bush RB Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
    Don Carey S Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice Doubtful
    Patrick Edwards WR Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Out
    Jason Fox T Groin Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
    Nick Fairley DT Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Redskins Injury News:
    Brandon Meriweather S Concussion Full Participation in Practice Questionable
    Stephen Bowen DE Knee Full Participation in Practice Questionable
    Leonard Hankerson WR Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
    Kai Forbath K right Groin Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable
    Kedric Golston DE Abdomen Full Participation in Practice Questionable

"Every day is better than the last day." - Pavel Datsyuk

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Hoping Bush plays. Hoping more that the Lions don't make stupid penalties. I want a win, but until they prove they're ready to take the next step I'm not going out on a limb.

Skins 26 Lions 24
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Reports on ESPN that Bush will not play.

Lions should still be able to win, the Redskins are awful.

But so were the Cardinals.

I can't believe the Lions have the two longest road losing streaks in NFL history. Wait a second, yes I can, these are the Lions.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Ugh, really wish we had Bush. Oh well, maybe Broyles makes some plays.

Detroit Rock City is offline MotownSports Fan

They have had all week to make a gameplan that doesn't include Bush. The Skins cannot defend the pass at all and thus the Lions need to throw it all over the field today. Get Bell in space with screens and short throws, find Calvin early and often, and take chances down the field. There is no excuse to lose this game today. The Lions are better than Washington and must prove it today.
    2014 AAT: 1B Mike Hessman

Nastradamus is online now MotownSports Fan

Gotta put some(legal) hits on RG3 early and often.

Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

No Bush today really sucks for us. We're also going to need to keep an eye out on their DE Ryan Kerrigan, he'll be a test for Reiff on the line today and could really pressure Stafford if we lose that battle.
    Who knew after all these years Joe Dumars was really playing a dual role as both himself and his alter-ego Ken Holland.

number20 is offline MotownSports Fan

Any preview of this game will be about nothing but RG3. Keep the tv off until kickoff unless you want to hear about this guy until you puke

Firehawk734 is offline MotownSports Fan

Without Bush, this team is basically the team of last year. So, can the team of last year beat the red skins in a place they've never done that? I doubt it.

I think Suh will do something stupid, just because he'll get annoyed by RG3 eluding him. Hope I'm wrong. I expect another week of fans jumping off the bandwagon.

It's gotten to the point for me, that on Monday if the Lions win, I literally don't know how to kill an hour at work talking about the game. It's a lot easier to kill an hour complaining about the team. When the lions win, the wins are so few and far between it seems, that I'm left speechless at work lol. Go figure that one.

Scottish caveman is offline MotownSports Fan

Don't see a victory today , even with Bush, the lack of discipline and the lack of any other weapon than Calvin , combined with the frailness of their psyche......probably a 7-10 point loss.

Shinma is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

The Redskins have the leagues worst defense. BY FAR. Calvin Johnson potentially has a big day for him. I'm confident for today as long as the Lions dont shoot themselves in the foot with penalties.
    "Every day is better than the last day." - Pavel Datsyuk

Keepleyland2 is offline MotownSports Fan

@ Washington

loss.
    2014 AAT: Don Kelly. If Leyland can't be his manager than KL2 will appreciate the talent. Kelly Games Played in 2014:95. Dingers: 0

hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

Last time the Lions beat the Redskins on the road, they were the Boston Redskins and played at Fenway. Please don't be the SOL.

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Lions "quickly rebuffed" trade overtures from the Colts last week regarding Mikel Leshoure.
    Leshoure has been a healthy scratch for each of Detroit's first three games. Colts GM Ryan Grigson reportedly also called the Vikings about Toby Gerhart before settling on sending a first-round pick to the Browns for Trent Richardson. It's interesting that the Lions were opposed to dealing Leshoure. Perhaps they'll change their minds when Reggie Bush's knee is back to 100 percent.

Colts had Leshoure, Gerhart on radar before acquiring Richardson - CBSSports.com

Strange since he doesn't even dress, my guess is that they didn't offer much at all? It seems like Mayhew likes trades too.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

That first play is about right. Sack for a loss of 7 yards.

RandyMarsh is offline MotownSports Fan

The Lions always elect to receive, despite the fact they seemingly always have horrible first drives, I don't understand why they don't ever elect to defer. That way they could potentially get better field position on their first possession and possibly get the ball twice in a row.(to end the first half and start the 2nd)
    2014 Adopt a Tiger: Omar Vizquel

Blog Entries

Lions get a first down but the drive stalls. Stafford with no time. OL got dominated that series.

Blog Entries

This feels like it could be a blowout game.

That read option is going to be there all day for RG3. I'm guessing he piles up a lot of running yards today

Blog Entries

Lions force Washington to punt. Lions will start inside their own 10.

Pick six

The detroit media hype of this team is unreal. LOL. Nice interception...from our own 9 yard line.

Kamakzie is offline MotownSports Fan

Good one Stafford..
    2014 AAT: Nick Castellanos | 2013 AAL: Nate Burleson
    Brian Bluhm Estrepe1 is #1
    RIP Brian Schultz beloved cousin 10/31/1971 - 12/18/2009

Blog Entries

Here we go. Pick six and the redskins are off.

We are going to make the redskins look like SB contenders today.

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

Fans representing here better than the team.

Blog Entries

Spurlock returns the kick and the offense will start inside its own 15. Not one aspect of this team plays well consistently.

Damn Spurlock makes Logan look like Mel Gray.

It's been 3 years since the Lions ran back a kickoff for a touchdown

Those inaccurate throws are why people think Stafford is very overrated, that and his salary. You pay him like a great QB then you expect him to be one.

Wow thought for sure that was gonna be a holding when I saw there was a flag.

Nice play call right there. Gotta give credit when they do something right since i blast this team so much lol.

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

SOR
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

NICE RUN

hail2mich is offline MotownSports Fan

Touchdown Bell!

Bell is so consistent. Comes to play every single week

sagnam is offline MotownSports Fan

Nice to see Meriweather out there hurting his teammates too.
    AAL: Ndamukong Suh | AAW: Nicklas Lidström | AAT: Anthony Castro

Quote Originally Posted by number20 View Post
    Bell is so consistent. Comes to play every single week
    He seems like the most durable back we've had here in forever, too.

Jason_R is offline MotownSports Fan

Every single punt that gets returned there is a hold or illegal block. And who gets illegal formation on a kickoff?

Redskins D looks bad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast