JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Big East to dissolve?

Seems like the basketball-only members are getting tired of the carousel, and might want to get off. And with only 3 remaining all sports members, the non-FBS schools (Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, etc.) have a controlling majority...

Could be interesting to see what happens between now and July 1st.

Big East Catholic schools breaking away? | A Jersey Guy LLC

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

qsilvr2531 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
    Seems like the basketball-only members are getting tired of the carousel, and might want to get off. And with only 3 remaining all sports members, the non-FBS schools (Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, etc.) have a controlling majority...

Could be interesting to see what happens between now and July 1st.

Big East Catholic schools breaking away? | A Jersey Guy LLC
    It's inevitable that they'll break away but I don't think it happens right now. The non-football schools have had control for a long time and are a large part of the reason the Big East has fallen apart.
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

jj04 is offline MotownSports Fan

This affects my alma mater (East Carolina). I'm not too thrilled about the whole deal and am not too thrilled about leaving Conference USA even if it isn't a very strong conference. If the conference dissolves, there's a pretty strong chance Boise State and San Diego State go back to the MWC. The 11 other schools would have to look for new conference homes since CUSA is going to be full starting 2015. I had even seen a scenario where if any of the new members sought other league membership during this dissolution they would have to pay out the exit fee. That to me is ridiculous since the league would be dissolving in the first place.

ECU is never going to find a proper conference home, never going to be in a conference where the payouts would be meaningful to help the program. We're TOO big for D1-AA; we're actually bigger than quite a few of the ACC schools. I'm just at a loss on how this will all sort out.
    B.R.B. (1981-2007) We only part to meet again
    My music blog
    AAT on Brian's behalf: Jake Thompson

Looks like it's a done deal already. Just a matter of ironing out the details.

By unanimous vote, the 7 basketball schools have decided to leave. They will not have to pay an exit fee if they leave after March 2015. There's no decision yet of the timeline, if they're going to try to negotiate an early withdrawal. It's also unknown as to whether they're going to attempt to keep the Big East brand name, or start a new conference. I would imagine it's the former, but I'm unsure as to the particulars...

Quote Originally Posted by jj04 View Post
    This affects my alma mater (East Carolina). I'm not too thrilled about the whole deal and am not too thrilled about leaving Conference USA even if it isn't a very strong conference. If the conference dissolves, there's a pretty strong chance Boise State and San Diego State go back to the MWC. The 11 other schools would have to look for new conference homes since CUSA is going to be full starting 2015. I had even seen a scenario where if any of the new members sought other league membership during this dissolution they would have to pay out the exit fee. That to me is ridiculous since the league would be dissolving in the first place.

ECU is never going to find a proper conference home, never going to be in a conference where the payouts would be meaningful to help the program. We're TOO big for D1-AA; we're actually bigger than quite a few of the ACC schools. I'm just at a loss on how this will all sort out.
    Take a quick look at Houston (or SMU) after the dissolution of the Southwest conference and you will have a good idea how it works out. The short answer is, not very good for the schools that get left behind.
    Slowsilver: They did a study at Baseball Prospectus and found out that bionic parts increase WARP23 by 6.7% on average. Back in the steroid era, steroids only increased WARP23 by 4.6%

Boise State is no longer going to join the Big East, it was reported today. They are supposedly still obligated to pay a $10M exit fee, despite the fact that it never played a game in the BE. The Mountain West conference is rumored to be willing to pay part of that fee.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Boise State is no longer going to join the Big East, it was reported today. They are supposedly still obligated to pay a $10M exit fee, despite the fact that it never played a game in the BE. The Mountain West conference is rumored to be willing to pay part of that fee.
    Join the MAC BOISE!
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

I'll be interested to see if any of the Western schools make it to the Big East. I'm thinking a few of them are just waiting for the conference to dissolve to avoid paying an exit fee.

Once again Cincinnati's schedule takes a hit. Boise was supposed to be a home game for UC next year and if things work like they did last year when TCU dropped out we'll end up with a significantly worse opponent or a road game as a replacement (last year we ended up with a 2nd FCS team).

As bad as the Big East is going to be going forward, this year's conference has performed very well in bowl season. I think the top of the conference (of which only Cincinnati will still be around in 2 years and everyone in Cincinnati hopes they can get out of the conference as well) was better than people thought. We'll see how Pitt does against Ole Miss but the conference has wins over Florida, West Virginia and Duke this bowl season.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by qsilvr2531 View Post
    I'll be interested to see if any of the Western schools make it to the Big East. I'm thinking a few of them are just waiting for the conference to dissolve to avoid paying an exit fee.

Once again Cincinnati's schedule takes a hit. Boise was supposed to be a home game for UC next year and if things work like they did last year when TCU dropped out we'll end up with a significantly worse opponent or a road game as a replacement (last year we ended up with a 2nd FCS team).

As bad as the Big East is going to be going forward, this year's conference has performed very well in bowl season. I think the top of the conference (of which only Cincinnati will still be around in 2 years and everyone in Cincinnati hopes they can get out of the conference as well) was better than people thought. We'll see how Pitt does against Ole Miss but the conference has wins over Florida, West Virginia and Duke this bowl season.
    What are the thoughts on Cincy's future? Doesn't seem like the Big Ten would take them. Do they feel like an ACC fit? Big XII?

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    What are the thoughts on Cincy's future? Doesn't seem like the Big Ten would take them. Do they feel like an ACC fit? Big XII?
    They aren't a great fit anywhere. They've got budget issues (which would be largely fixed by a conference change and that didn't seem to matter as far as Rutgers and Maryland were concerned). The major sports facilities are sub-par (the football stadium is a great place to watch a game but is also small and lacks any kind of luxury boxes so it is limited on how much revenue it can generate). There is a fund raising drive going on to improve the football stadium but it's all going to have to be private money because the school is still in a ton of debt from the olympic sport construction that was necessary to get us into the Big East. The academics are below the B10 and ACC standards (though that seems less important at this point with Louisville going to the ACC). Geographically they don't fit well with the Big 12 (again less important since WVU's move) and the B12 seems less interested in expanding at the moment.

From a competitive standpoint they are where they need to be in football and basketball. I think there is a good chance if realignment continues that they end up in the ACC (with the Big 12 as the 2nd most likely option). I think a lot depends on the resolution of the Maryland exit fee lawsuit.

If the ACC gets raided again in he next three years, Cincinnati will end up there. If the B12 wants them ( I don't see why they wouldn't), I think they should offer sooner than later.

With WVU already in, I don't see any further obstacles for Cincy, do you?

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

They can go to the Big 12 after Oklahoma goes to the Big Ten...
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

If the ACC gets raided again in he next three years, Cincinnati will end up there. If the B12 wants them ( I don't see why they wouldn't), I think they should offer sooner than later.

With WVU already in, I don't see any further obstacles for Cincy, do you?
    Nothing beyond the the B12 actually wanting them. I think they'd be at best 2nd on the list behind BYU right now.

I agree, if the ACC gets raided they'll end up there. Either conference could decide to make a preemptive move and grad them sooner but the only reason to do that is if you believe they are clearly the best school remaining. I'm not sure that's really true for either conference (the ACC can have UConn anytime they want and the B12 is unlikely to lose schools in the immediate future and can afford to wait on BYU).

Well, if the B12 wants a Conference Championship, they'd need Cincy and one more. Who else would they target? FSU?

Well, if the B12 wants a Conference Championship, they'd need Cincy and one more. Who else would they target? FSU?
    I'm not sure the B12 wants a conference championship. Going to 12 teams tends to create very unbalanced schedules and forces the top team in the conference to play an extra game against an often quality opponent. Given the current playoff structure I'm not sure that's a net benefit for a conference that probably figures it can put at least one team in the playoff most years without a conference championship game.

If they do go to 12 I wouldn't be surprised if BYU and Boise aren't ahead of UC. And Houston is a reasonable choice as well. Geographically the B12 has quite a few more reasonable options than the ACC, which really has UC and UConn at the moment (with teams like USF, UCF and ECU probably on the outside looking in.

Amish Love Machine is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jj04 View Post

They could always join the MAC.
    There are 10 types of people in the world- those that understand binary, and those that don't.

And now San Diego State officially leaves the Big East to stay with the MWC. The Aztecs are the 16th school to announce leaving the Big East in the past two years!

The MWC will now have two 6-team divisions and a conference championship, beginning next year.

What's the next move?
    Last edited by JayVee; 01-17-2013 at 11:54 AM.

According to the MWC commissioner, SDSU will not have to pay an exit fee:

"In SDSU's contract with the Big East, the Aztecs' exit fee is withdrawn if there was not another Big East member located west of the Rocky Mountains."

mtutiger is offline MotownSports Fan

And now San Diego State officially leaves the Big East to stay with the MWC. The Aztecs are the 16th school to announce leaving the Big East in the past two years!

The MWC will now have two 6-team divisions and a conference championship, beginning next year.

What's the next move?
    Wouldn't be shocked to see SMU bail next...
    "If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once convinced a woman that I was Kevin Costner and it worked... because I believed it!" - Saul Goodman
    2014 AAT: Dan Dickerson