Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shabba4detroit View Post
    What I've heard is that it wasn't the Big 10 that first approached Texas, but vice versa. However, that's just gossip, nothing I can confirm.
    The Big Ten has since denied that any school has contacted them, however this could just be a smokescreen as well.
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post

As for the Pac 10, if you think they would add Fresno, Boise St or TCU, well, we have differing opinions about what is feaible. I think the Pac-10 considers those schools as far below what a Pac 10 (or Big 10) would require from a new add.
    Absolutely agree! If the Pac 10 saw Fresno, BSU, or TCU as legit members, they would already be in.

Lastly, even if the Big 12 added Fresno, Boise St., and TC to replace Texas, Missouri and Colorado, which I suppose the conference hasn't technically 'split-up', it might as well have.

Such a conference would generate reletively little revenue, and would probably become a mid-major as I cannot imagine any program that could generate good revenue would continue to stay in it.
    The Big 12 is DONE if they lose Texas and Missouri. The SEC would most definitely snatch up Oklahoma and/or Nebraska IMO. I could see the ACC snagging a team like Kansas and Kansas State if they wanted to expand (just throwing that out there, nothing makes me think they would do it without a complete Big 12 meltdown). The Big 12 may be able to survive by adding Utah, TCU, BYU, and BSU, and still be considered a step above mid-major, but they would probably generate half the revenue they do now, and there would always be a threat that a bigger conference will come and eat up their best teams.

IMO the Big 12 as we know it, won't be around by the 2011 season!

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mac View Post
    You know what I mean. There is reason to talk about it because even though I think its very slim, there is actually a possibility this may happen.

I just meant reading people here's thoughts and then reading articles written and seeing fans reactions from non-big ten area schools and fans is very different.
    I wasn't trying to rip your comment as much as I was just having fun with the idea of Texas joining the MAC. Sorry about that.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by shabba4detroit View Post
    What I've heard is that it wasn't the Big 10 that first approached Texas, but vice versa. However, that's just gossip, nothing I can confirm.
    Probably depends on who you talk to. We just went to visit my wife's cousin, and her husband is in a very high position in the athletic department of a D1 school. He had recently been in Austin and spoke with Texas' AD. Naturally, they spoke of the B10 and what he had thought about the whole deal, and supposedly Texas and the B10 have not spoken about any of this. Naturally the smaller school (as well as others in thier position I'm sure) are awaiting the possible domino effect that could take place as they would be an ideal geographic add to the B12. So perhaps Texas' AD was blowin' smoke, perhaps my cousin-in-law was blowin' smoke. Who knows.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    I personally think Missouri to the Big Ten is done deal, and the Big Ten is using them as leverage to get Texas. Just my gut feeling.
    I hadn't thought of this angle.

The thing is that is a pretty risky ploy, and I am not sure the B10 would be happy to walk away with only Mizzou. This isn't meant to denigrate Mizzou in any way, but the B10 have a chance for a HR, and adding Mizzou feels like hitting a single to me.

Nothing wrong with a single - it is a good outcome, but there are better ones.

snoogit is offline MotownSports Fan

Best Case Scenario from a money standpoint: B10 merges with the BigEast.

They'd have control over two of the top 3 markets (Chicago and New York), and really 5 of the top 10 (Philly, Chicago, NYC, possibly Boston, and Detroit)

You get the geographic advantages (minus USF, who would probably leave), and the TV market advantages.

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

If by "best case scenario" you mean "worst case scenario".

You think they would want to split that money among 27 teams?

This is just plain ridiculous.

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

snoogit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by JayVee7777 View Post
    If by "best case scenario" you mean "worst case scenario".

You think they would want to split that money among 27 teams?

This is just plain ridiculous.
    weed out the smaller schools, and keep the big ones.

JayVee is offline MotownSports Fan

Small schools like Northwestern, right? Sure, just like that.

I doubt anyone will care about getting kicked out...

2014 AAT -- #8 Wally Joyner -- Hitting Coach Extraordinaire
    Μολὼν λαβέ -- SONJE HAITI

Blog Entries

Big Ten hires firm to research potential expansion candidates - JSOnline

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said Friday that Big Ten officials have hired a firm to research potential candidates as the conference considers expansion and that 15 programs were included in an initial report.

"They basically broke down what they would bring to the table," Alvarez said at a meeting of the UW athletic board. "They talked about academics. They talked about size. They talked about size of their arenas. They talked about attendance. They talked about the populace in that specific area."
    "I think it could be one (school), or I think it could be multiple," Alvarez said.

Alvarez declined to identify schools on the list of 15 candidates but acknowledged he did not see Texas on the list.

It was reported recently that the Big Ten and Texas had begun preliminary discussions about the Longhorns leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten.

"In our initial study, there wasn't anything on Texas," Alvarez said.

Blog Entries

Texas AD: Big 12 works, no talks with Big Ten - ESPN

AUSTIN, Texas -- The University of Texas likes its position in the Big 12 Conference and has not talked with the Big Ten about its expansion plans, athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Wednesday.

Dodds spoke with The Associated Press on Wednesday after recent speculation that the Longhorns program could be courted by the Big Ten, which is considering expanding.

Dodds said Texas would be a natural target for any league because of the school's strong academics, athletics and the power to draw a large television audience. But Texas and the Big 12 are good for each other, Dodds said, adding "It's working. I like it."

The Big Ten announced in December it would explore options for expansion to add a 12th school. The Big Ten also looked at expansion in 1993, 1998 and 2003. Penn State was the last team to join in 1990, and Notre Dame rejected an offer in 1999.

Earlier this month, speculation on possible targets focused on Texas, which has one of the wealthiest athletic programs in the country and is a major research university with a huge alumni base surrounded by some of the larger television markets in the nation.

"We're always going to be looked at. I don't think that's a bad thing. That's a good thing," Dodds said.

He said there have been no talks between the Texas and the Big Ten. He said the Big 12 has been a good fit for the Longhorns since the conference started in 1996 with the members of the old Big Eight and four members of the old Southwest Conference.

"I think it's been a great conference for us and we've been good for the conference. Before the [Big 12], we were struggling with recruiting and struggling with all kinds of things. The Big 12 has brought us stability, kept Texas kids in Texas," he said.

"All the sports have been good to us. We've built up some good rivalries. It's been good for us," Dodds said.

Even if another school were to leave the Big 12, Dodds said he believes the remaining members would try to keep the conference intact by finding a replacement instead of seeing a domino effect of schools bolting for other leagues.

"I don't know who that would be," Dodds said.

If the league has a problem, it's that the Big 12 is not as old as the Big Ten or the Southeastern Conference, Dodds said.

"People around the country kind of pick on us because we don't have 'tradition.' I don't think we need that. I think we're pretty darn good. You don't have to be 100 years old to be good," Dodds said.

The Big 12 does not have the lucrative TV deals the Big Ten and SEC do, but its day will come, Dodds said. The league's contracts with ABC/ESPN and Fox Sports Net will be up for renewal in 2015.

"That's the year we've got the leverage," Dodds said. "It will be the Big 12's turn."

Hongbit is offline MotownSports Fan

This is still an ongoing process.

March 04, 2010
    Nebraska's Proactive Approach Is Bad News for Big 12
    wizofodds.com

Read what you want into quotes by athletic director Tom Osborne on the possibility of Nebraska leaving the Big 12 for another conference, but it's clear the Cornhuskers are considering the possibilities.

"These are interesting times," Osborne told the Lincoln Star Journal. "I think fans are a little bit nervous. All I can tell fans right now is don't think for one minute that we're asleep at the switch, that weíre just sitting here waiting for something to happen to us.

"It's much better to be proactive than reactive. I don't think I'm free to say much more than that. We are very aware. We don't plan to get left at the gate, although we could be. I just don't know whatís going to happen in this environment."

Although Osborne said "it's hard for me to believe that Texas could get a better deal" than it has in the Big 12, the case is "a little different" for Missouri and Colorado. Missouri has been mentioned as a candidate to join the Big Ten and Colorado has been linked to the Pacific 10.

The Big 12's TV payout structure has long been a sore subject for the league's lesser members. Only half of Big 12 TV revenue is divided equally. The other half is put in an "appearance pool." Teams earn units of credit for every football TV appearance and for basketball nonconference TV games.

Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma, which get more TV appearances than other league members, cash in on the deal whereas Iowa State, Kansas State and Baylor take a financial backseat.

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard made a plea with Big 12 members to change the system at the 2007 league meetings. Pollard, who came to Ames from Wisconsin, said the Big 12 system was broke and that the Big Ten, which splits its revenue equally, was a stronger league because it divided the pie equally.

"That is a big reason that they have grown their brand as strong as they have," he said.

Although Pollard was later backed by outgoing Big 12 commish Kevin Weiberg, the league's powerhouse members would have none of it and the league has cobbled along since.

But as Osborne suggests, times are changing and the Big 12 might not be able to hold rank much longer. With the likely departure of at least two teams and no viable replacements in its neighborhood, the league could go the way of the old Southwest Conference.

That, of course, would force Texas' hand.
    VT

berneree is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder if Texas would consider going "independent". With their type of athletic machine (all sports)......I bet the best $$ would come from having their own deals. That would be against the grain for the past 20 years....but I think they are one of a few programs that could make it work.
    Michigan Football - Dominating the recruitment of 3* Smurfs from 2008-2010

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I wonder if Pollard's connection to Wisconsin would make Iowa State a candidate to jump ship to the Big 10?
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

What happens if the Big Ten goes to 16 teams? | Mr. College Football

The other big topic here has a chance to completely change college football as we know it. Iíve spoken to a number of athletics directors and commissioners who are convinced that the Big Ten is positioning itself to seriously consider becoming college football first super conference by expanding to as many as 16 teams.

The Big Ten is looking at three plans: Stand pat with 11 teams, add one team (hopefully Notre Dame) or make a blockbuster move and go to 16.

ďIf they go to 16 and one of them is Notre Dame then weíve got an entirely new ball game,Ē a conference commissioner told me confidentially.

There is pretty serious speculation that The Big Ten would look to the Big East in its big master plan. Now I donít know which teams are involved, but Just for fun, letís say the Big Ten asks Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut and Rutgers to join. If they said yes, the Big East would be out of the football business. I think the Catholic schools (Georgetown, Villanova, St. Johnís, Marquette, Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence) in the league move on and form their own basketball conference.

What would happen to the other football playing schools in the Big East: West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida? Does the ACC take them in order to match the Big 16?

What would happened to Notre Dame? Would they be invited to join the Catholic conference for basketball? What about their other sports?

And what does the SEC do if the Big Ten throws down this gauntlet? The conference has its 15-year, $3 billion television contract in place. Does the SEC have to react to the new marketplace that has been created? The SEC and Big Ten have separated themselves financially from the rest of Division I. If the SEC stood pat would it risk watching the Big Ten with the additional dollars that would come in, pull away from the SEC?

Does the SEC get aggressive and pick up the phone call Texas? Thatís the one school that would move the financial needle to improve the great deal the SEC already has. And if you take Texas, you have to take Texas A&M because of the politics. Does the SEC take another look at Florida State and Miami and see if those schools would be interested in leaving the ACC for a better financial deal?

I have been saying this for years: The dominoes of expansion will start tumbling when the Big Ten makes its move. If it only adds one team, even if itís Notre Dame, then relatively little will change. But if commissioner Jim Delany wants to make a splash and go to 16, then absolutely anything is possible. If members of the Big East want to leave, they must remain in the conference for an additional 27 months after they declare. So if the Big Ten wants to take some Big East teams, they must make a decision soon in order for those teams to be in place for the 2012 football season.

Understand that there is a lot of smoke here. None of this could happen. Or all of it could. So stay tuned.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    I wonder if Pollard's connection to Wisconsin would make Iowa State a candidate to jump ship to the Big 10?
    Iowa State to the Big 10 makes absolutely no sense for the Big Ten.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I think the expansion becomes a Big East and Big 12 mix, with the decent possibility of Notre Dame.

I think the Big ten goes 14 and not 16, like the article above suggests. I think the Big Ten get Rutgers and Missouri. Notre Dame will be high on the list, but if they don't come, I'm not sure what other teams come along. Nebraska has made in known they would listen if the Big Ten came calling, so I think other strongly possible candidates would be : Pitt and Syracuse

If they did go 16 teams, I think 5 of these teams are sure things:

Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame....with a REALLY outside chance at Texas and Texas Tech making it into the top 5.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    No one would be able to compete with the Big 10 when it comes to wrestling and should become the No. 1 hotbed for future MMA fighters.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

nmuman is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    No one would be able to compete with the Big 10 when it comes to wrestling and should become the No. 1 hotbed for future MMA fighters.
    The PAC 10 is the future link for MMA fighters IMO.
    One minute to go in the period AND TECH STILL SUCKS!!!

SpartanValor is offline MotownSports Fan

Big Ten expansion push heating up - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

I really don't like the idea of a super conference....but Jim Delaney is the best conf commish out there, so I guess I'll trust him on this.
    MSU Basketball: Back-to-Back Big Ten Championships and Final Fours
    MSU Football: Big Ten Champions!

ROMAD1 is online now MotownSports Fan

Mike and Mike...(4 letter network) say that it may be 14 or 16 teams total and that it looks to happen soon.

Shocking if not understandable. This will mess with some longstanding tradition.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Blog Entries

Id love to see them add Syracuse, as that is one of my top choices to attend law school. It would be cool to see them playing MSU and UM while I am there (if I attend)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011