Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Microline133 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default The Official 2009-2010 College Hockey Thread

It's that time of year again, and while the thread will be buried amongst millions of football and eventually basketball threads, we'll do it again....

It pains me, but I'll start off with some bad news from the Clarkson program....two freshman and a recruit charged with misdemeanors for accused sexual contact with a 16-year old girl.....

USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: Incoming Clarkson Freshmen, Recruit Face Charges

A nice piece on Red Wings draft pick (Clarkson, D) Bryan Rufenach....clearly some things to work on, but very talented....

Inside College Hockey | INCH A-Z: Bryan Rufenach

I plan to be here on January 8th for BC-BU at Fenway Park...should be very cool....

Inside College Hockey | Fenway Confirms BC-BU Plans

InsideCollegeHockey.com has some great stuff in their annual A-Z series....and I'll post more articles, previews, and rankings as they come out....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Man, you are the absolute go-to-guy for college hockey information. Thank you for providing us here at MTS with a very educated view on the sport.

On that note, with MSU's terrible season last year, what can us Spartans expect this year? I know we were very young last year - is there reason for hope?
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Sacred Heart on the prowl for a new coach....

USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: Sacred Heart Coach Hannah Resigns

Some really interesting stuff on the CCHA's decision not to admit Alabama-Huntsville....drama, drama, drama....

USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: CCHA Decision Represents 'A Lot Of Moving Parts,' Anastos Says
    USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: Commentary: What's Best for College Hockey'

As for the MSU questions...I don't hate what they bring to the table this year. Their young guys learned a butt load last winter, and they should be a more solid club for it. I think they'll be upper half of the CCHA, but they're going to have a tough time with the big boys. Outside of the normally tough CCHA schedule, they've got two right out of the gate at home with Clarkson -- which is going to be tough, then they've got two on the road at Maine, which is a brutal trip, even when Maine isn't good. They've also got a spunky Michigan Tech team and the winner of RPI (excellent defensive club with tons of toughness) and Michigan in a holiday tournament....

Don't sleep on a big year from sophomore goalie Drew Palmisano. He has followed Lerg step for step in his career, and despite being a bit bigger, some feel he has the makings of Lerg's tenacity and ability to dominate a game from the net. If he can come out strong that will be a huge boost for Sparty.

Leveille, Gazley, and Rowe up front are going to have some big shoes to fill, but they showed flashes last year and just need consistency. There have been rumblings that there is some great chemistry amongst some of the youngsters this summer, so we could see a couple of the top lines emerge with some force early. I'm really skeptical of the defense, with only two experienced upper classmen back there blue line, and most of their talent very young still....the defense is going to have to develop rapidly if Palmisano is going to have a chance to stop pucks.

Watch out for freshman forward Derek Grant...big kid at 6-3 200+ pounds, still only 19, but he's skilled around the net, a strong skater, and he positions himself well without the puck. He plays hard and could be a nice scorer for you guys this year as a freshman. Chris Chelios' son Dean is also a freshman forward on the team and as you might expect, he's a pretty tenacious kid, plays strong at both ends of the ice, but I wouldn't expect big point numbers from him....he might be a strong penalty killer for you by season's end though.

Overall, I might expect around a .500 record for the Spartans this year....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Kdoogie24 is offline MotownSports Fan

thanks for this thread again Micro. I will probably attend the UofM MSU matchup at the Joe once again this year, I think this with be the 6th or 7th year in a row, as it is always one of my favourite events of the year.

Hopefully the outdoor game in Wisconsin is televised, but being from Canada I would probably need the NHL network or something if I wanted to watch it. Looking forward to a great year from the Maize and Blue, hopefully they can pull off another trip to the tournament.
    "If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." - Rickey Henderson

First USCHO poll of the year is out....regular season play begins for many teams this weekend....

USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: USCHO.com Polls
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

It's almost here folks...the real opening weekend of college hockey season!!!!

Let's dive into the weekend preview by a guy that knows Tiger prospects (intended clearly to show that college hockey is simply a hobby and I'm usually wrong)....

Thursday night has two non-conference matchups that could be fun to watch. RPI vs. UMass doesn't seem like much on paper, but this is a statement game for the Engineers. RPI has been rebuilding itself for two years and they believe they are a tough, physical, team that plays hard every night....and when you're in the ECAC, there is no better way to show that than to go into a Hockey East barn and lay the wood to 'em. I'm not sure that happens. I think this will be a pretty tight game, but ultimately, I think UMass -- at home -- has a bit more talent.

OSU and The Q could be fun just because it should be an up and down game....but the bottom line is, this should be an absolutely throttling by OSU. The Buckeyes are a really good team this year, and if they can't handle taking four points from the Q, in Columbus mind you, then they have some work to do.

The Ice Breaker Tournament in Omaha has some fun teams as well....with Army taking on the host UNO, and UMass-Lowell battling St. Lawrence. UNO should have little trouble with Army from a talent perspective, but you can't underestimate the Knights toughness. I still think UNO advances. I simply can't pick SLU to win...it goes against every fiber of my being, and since UML is my grad school of choice, UNO-UML in the tourney title game; and I think UML brings the title back to the northeast....look out for them this year.

An opening weekend tournament I truly wish I was at...simply because of the passion....the Superior Showcase....LSSU, Northern, Tech, and Minnesota-Duluth...those first three are always fun to see live. None of the teams are really top notch programs this year, but Northern could shock some teams in the CCHA, and UMD has some talent. I think UMD pulls this thing out based on shear talent alone....but don't sleep on the Wildcats in Green and Gold.

UM makes the trek to Alaska for the Kendall Hockey Showcase, with the two Alaska schools and Mercyhurst. "Which one of these, is not like the other?" Mercyhurst is going to get slaughtered. Not only are they bad to begin with, but that trip up there is going to completely sap them. UM should run rough shod over this tournament.

The non-conference matchups have some fun in them as well....

St. Cloud State takes on Miami to open the year....WOW....Miami should be able to handle them as SCSU isn't quite what they were a few years ago, but it should be an offensive affair. I'll take Miami with 3 of 4 points on the weekend.

Colgate has a chance to contend in the ECAC this year, but they have a surprisingly tough opening tilt with Niagra, followed by another tough one with RIT. I think the Red Raiders will get three points out of this, but it isn't going to be easy.

UVM travels out to Denver for a matchup that might not end well for them. Though Vermont has been more competitive the last two years than I would have guessed, Denver is just another class of team. Denver with a home seep.

Notre Dame and North Dakota are both going to wreck sh** in their opening weekends....the fans will be chanting FOUR - POINT - WEEK - END!

Michigan State hosts my Clarkson Golden Knights in a battle of two traditioanl power house programs that are trying to get back on track after very poor seasons. Clarkson has some distractions off the ice right now with the charges against two freshman and a recruit, but I think George Roll has this team fired up enough that they'll put that out of their minds. This Clarkson team lacks the fire power of some recent clubs, but Karpowich is a staunch net minder and I think he helps the Techies (Clarkson University used to be Clarkson School of Technology, so many chants still remain as things like "Let's Go Tech!") to a split on the weekend trip to the mitten.

The other big matchup I am looking forward to is Northeastern vs. Colorado College. The Huskies are building a very strong program, and they are going to be a force in Hockey East very soon....but the CC crew is established, and very tough in the thin air at home. I'll take three points for CC over NU.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

Looks like the NCAA overestimated the demand for Frozen Four tickets at Ford Field. Per an email I received today they have moved the rink from the middle of the field to the end zone and turned it to run the length of the end zone. I assume they will curtain off half of the stadium.

I think it's good news for me. Because of the reconfiguration they have relocated all the tickets. I had seats at the blue line about 30 rows back on the risers. Looking at the new configuration, if they keep me in the risers, I'll be much closer to the rink than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Microline133 View Post
    I think this will be a pretty tight game, but ultimately, I think UMass -- at home -- has a bit more talent.

The Buckeyes are a really good team this year, and if they can't handle taking four points from the Q, in Columbus mind you, then they have some work to do.
    Nothing like whiffing completely on the OSU-Q game....at least UMass kept me respectable after Thursday night.....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

New USCHO poll - USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online :: USCHO.com Polls

Let's dive into the weekend preview by a guy that knows Tiger prospects (intended clearly to show that college hockey is simply a hobby and I'm usually wrong)....

I think UMass -- at home -- has a bit more talent.

The Buckeyes are a really good team this year, and if they can't handle taking four points from the Q, in Columbus mind you, then they have some work to do.

UML brings the title back to the northeast

UMD pulls this thing out based on shear talent alone....but don't sleep on the Wildcats in Green and Gold.

UM should run rough shod over this tournament.

Miami with 3 of 4 points on the weekend.

Red Raiders will get three points out of this, but it isn't going to be easy.

Denver with a home sweep.

Notre Dame and North Dakota are both going to wreck sh** in their opening weekends....the fans will be chanting FOUR - POINT - WEEK - END!

Michigan State hosts my Clarkson Golden Knights.....a split on the weekend trip to the mitten.

I'll take three points for CC over NU.
    UMass may have helped me by putting a beating on RPI on Thursday, but the rest of the weekend was pretty iffy....making my opening statement above, oh, so correct....

OSU gets swept right out of their own barn by Quinnipiac, in what is an awful start to the season for a team with outside CCHA title aspirations....what a horrible, horrible weekend for them.

UML loses a heart breaker to UNO in the Ice Breaker Tournament, as John Faulkner relieves Jermaine Dupont in net and shuts the door for 30 minutes to preserve the Maverick tourney title. UNO is for real....and so is UML.

I liked UMD to win the Superior Showcase, and while they finished 1-1, a couple of people I talked to that were there, said they really carried play, even in their loss on Sunday. Still, they couldn't help me out....

Never underestimate the difficulty of the road trip to Alaska....Michigan comes out of the gates and gets their butts handed to them by Alaska in the opener, before getting their feat under them to blast Alaska-Anchorage in the consolation game. This should have been an easy trophy for Michigan....oops.

Miami almost gave me first spot on pick, but they pulled out the OT win on Friday to take all four points from SCSU.....Miami is going to be a tough, tough team to beat this year.

I didn't want to underestimate the challenge of Niagra and RIT against Colgate, and I was right not to....Niagra takes a point, and Colgate ends up with the three I thought they'd get by beating RIT to close the weekend.

I never seem to believe in Vermont quite enough....maybe I'm still jaded by the whole elephant walk scandal from when I was in school, but they managed a split in a tough road series at Denver....lots of offense, and UVM is going to have to tighten up once Hockey East play gets rolling.

Notre Dame is apparently still new to this whole national hockey power thing, because you can't let Alabama-Huntsville come into your barn and take a game on opening weekend, you simply can't. They should take a tip from the Souix....if you are a national power, you sweep the opening home series, end of story.

Michigan State handed a beating to Clarkson in the opener on Friday night, and got some great breaks that made it tough for Clarkson to close the Saturday game....a sweep at home against a tough, physical team like Clarkson, is a fantastic start for Sparty.

Without Theissen in net, Northeastern may be in for a longer season than last year, but that didn't stop them from taking a game at Colorado College. I was fortunate enough to watch both of these games after the fact....and let's just say I over-estimated how good CC would be this year...they just lost too much.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to do a preview of this weekend's action tomorrow....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

So last Friday....work managed to step right in the way of me getting a preview up.....but not this time; screw work!! :)

Some great stuff on tap this weekend, let's see if I can improve my prognostication skills.....

RIT heads out to Colorado to take on Air Force for two AHA gamees....Air isn't quite the Force they've been in the past (you see what I did there?), but they're still a quality club, and I think they get three points at home.

Michigan State gets a real test with two roadies at Miami....Miami's offense is insanely potent, and their goaltending has been good save for the one score-fest in Durham last weekend...I like Miami to roll its way to a four point weekend as they open CCHA play.

OSU heads up to the Sault for two with the Lakers, and I think OSU is reeling a bit right now and might get surprised in one of these by a spunky LSSU team.....split.

Hockey East has some interesting tilts, with UMass hosting UMaine...UMass has been a revelation early in the year, and I think they might have what it takes against Maine on Friday. UNH and Northeastern tussle on Friday as well, and that should be very interesting for two programs in transition....UNH can score, Northeastern can defend...I like the Wildcats in a nail biter. Northeastern and UMass-Lowell get at it on Saturday in what should be a great game....UML will be rocking for the home opener and I like them to roll over the Huskies.
    Wiscy at Minnesota State should be fun one, and though State's been tougher than expected, I think Wiscy is getting some swagger back....Badgers get three points.

Denver at Minnesota...wow...neither team is their normal powerhouse self, but crap this should be fun. I like a split here as I don't think the teams are that different on the whole.

Maybe the most interesting WCHA matchup is North Dakota at Alaska-Anchorage....it seems strange to say, but UND could have some trouble up there given the way AA has been playing. I still like a three-point road weekend for the Fighting Souix, but it won't be easy.

Saturday isn't just BC-ND football....its the same with the puck as well. Notre Dame is too good, and BC just doesn't have the consistent offensive punch right now. Domers with a win, making it a clean sweep of the big Boston squads early in the year (after blanking BU on Tuesday).

Michigan and BU tangle in a non-conference tilt on Saturday, at Agannis Arena....should be an up and down game, but Michigan has too much talent right now for a BU team that is still searching for itself after losing Colin Wilson from last year's squad.

Lastly, my Golden Knights face off with arch rival St. Lawrence in a non-conference matchup before both teams enter ECAC play next weekend. These games are always a war, and SLU has the early edge with some surprising play to start the year. I think Clarkson is a bit on edge right now, and playing in their own barn with a rabid crowd should be enough.....Knights win, 3-1 as Karpowich stands on his head in net.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Some great stuff on tap this weekend, let's see if I can improve my prognostication skills.....

Air isn't quite the Force they've been in the past (you see what I did there?), but they're still a quality club, and I think they get three points at home.

I like Miami to roll its way to a four point weekend as they open CCHA play.

...might get surprised in one of these by a spunky LSSU team.....split.

UMass has been a revelation early in the year, and I think they might have what it takes against Maine on Friday.

UNH can score, Northeastern can defend...I like the Wildcats in a nail biter.

UML will be rocking for the home opener and I like them to roll over the Huskies.

Badgers get three points.

Denver at Minnesota...I like a split here as I don't think the teams are that different on the whole.

I still like a three-point road weekend for the Fighting Souix, but it won't be easy.

Domers with a win

Michigan has too much talent right now for a BU team

Knights win, 3-1 as Karpowich stands on his head in net.

It wasn't a great weekend of predictions, but it wasn't horrible either....college hockey is just so variable...

Air Force got their sweep at home over RIT, but it was much closer than I expected; RIT is going to be a tough team this year...they may not win a ton, but they aren't going to lose easily.

Props to Sparty for giving Miami all they could handle, and pulling out the OT winner on Saturday. Great win on the road for MSU, and a tough way to lose a conference tilt for Miami.

OSU and LSSU managed to get me back on track with a split in the Sault...this OSU team just has a lot of learning to do, but come CCHA tourney time, they're going to be dangerous.

UMass had little trouble with Maine on Friday, as it should have been....

Northeastern played like crap against UNH, so it wasn't the nail biter I was looking for, but it was still a UNH victory...the losses the Huskies endured to graduation and the pros may just be too much for them to overcome....

UML did exactly as they should have this weekend, taking the home crowd on opening night and just handing it to Northeastern....UML is a dangerous club in the north east this year.

After completely dominating Minnesota State on Friday night, Wiscy came out very flat on Saturday in the little bit I saw of the game....ugly stuff, and not how you want to enter WCHA play....weekend split is okay, but the way they played Friday, they should have rolled....

So far early in the year, I've managed to over-estimate what the Gophers are going to bring to the table this year....and Denver proved that out again this weekend with a 6-0 white washing over two games....in Minnesota mind you.....no split here, just an embarassing home weekend for the Gophers.

I was looking at a three point weekend for North Dakota as they headed to Alaska, but I said it would be easy....Friday night sure was easy, and then AA came back and stole a defensive game on Saturday....that trip to Anchorage is going to bite more than a few teams this year....it's already gotten Michigan and North Dakota....

Here's a theme for you....I'm back on my old wagon of consistently under-estimating just how much talent and grit BU and BC have...you think I'd know better given how much I see them play.....ugh....BC gets it from UND, while Michigan comes into Agannis and gets skated around by BU. There's a lot more parity this year than in years past; at least amongst the top 10-15 teams....

At least I can say I know my Golden Knights...Paul Karpowich was up to the task in front of one of the biggest Clarkson crowds ever at Cheel Arena, shutting down the SLU offense, as the Clarkson power play was huge and chased Petizian out of the game with three first period goal en route to a 4-1 throttling of their Route 11 rivals.....

On a random side note....there was a lot of national talk how the Clarkson women's hockey team didn't deserve it's national ranking (4th in the last USCHO.com poll)....well, the hosted 3rd ranked UNH and 9th ranked BU this weekend, and tuned them up to the combined score of 12-4....I'd say they deserve that lofty rating!
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

SpartanValor is offline MotownSports Fan

MSU getting 3/4 points (almost all 4) at #1 Miami....impressive. Have they turned a corner, or was this just some early season luck? I really don't know, but can't argue with the start.
    MSU Basketball: Back-to-Back Big Ten Championships and Final Fours
    MSU Football: Big Ten Champions!

MSU only got two points this weekend, losing on Friday night to Miami....but that's still a good showing for a middle tier club against one of the top teams in the country, to start the CCHA schedule....
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Kdoogie24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Pretty excited about seeing Lucas Lessio at Michigan. He was a top10 pick in the OHL draft this yr, but commited to UM last month.
    "If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." - Rickey Henderson

MSU only got two points this weekend, losing on Friday night to Miami....but that's still a good showing for a middle tier club against one of the top teams in the country, to start the CCHA schedule....
    So I think MSU got three points, but not for the reasons I posted:

The CCHA has decided to change its standings points system to award three for a regulation or overtime victory.

This comes as the league is set to begin its second with a shootout system. A shootout win will still be worth two points, and a shootout loss one point -- making all games worth three total standings points.
    College Hockey News: CCHA to Award 3 Points for Win

Anyway, from where this team was last year, its pretty good to see them get a win at Miami. And from what I heard, we had the lead late on Friday too.
    Last edited by SpartanValor; 10-25-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Interesting, I had missed that rule change for the CCHA (or just forgotten about it). Certainly gives some incentive to play and all-out, aggressive style in overtime to get that extra point.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Mark, how's Julien Cayer doing?
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

I like what I've seen so far. He's skating with more purpose (partly because he's actually healthy) than he has in the past, and I think he's going to put up a solid season. He's not expected to be a big guy for them this year (that falls to Freeman, Beca, and that crew)....but Cayer should be a nice guy to have both in the corners and in front of the net. I'm not convinced he's going to develop into a serious pro prospect though....there's just something missing in his game right now....Bryan Rufenach on the other hand...I think he'll be a solid blue liner in a second pairing...
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

cruzer1 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I like what I've seen so far. He's skating with more purpose (partly because he's actually healthy) than he has in the past, and I think he's going to put up a solid season. He's not expected to be a big guy for them this year (that falls to Freeman, Beca, and that crew)....but Cayer should be a nice guy to have both in the corners and in front of the net. I'm not convinced he's going to develop into a serious pro prospect though....there's just something missing in his game right now....Bryan Rufenach on the other hand...I think he'll be a solid blue liner in a second pairing...
    Is Cayer growing? Last I heard he was 6'3, 193 or so. My guess is that the Wings envision him as a solid forechecking type, a Maltby or Abdelkader.
    Where's Zimm?
    VT

He seems a bit bigger than he was last year, but I haven't seen him live yet this year (I will in November)....but I just don't see the intensity every shift that leads me to believe he's that type of player....maybe it'll come, but it hasn't been there yet.
    Mark J. Anderson, Jr.
    Director of Scouting
    TigsTown.com

Oh no, they're trying to suck me back in....

As hard as it was to believe how far Michigan State sunk into the depths of the CCHA standings last year, it seemed even harder to conceive a bounce back to contender status so quickly after the graduation of goaltender Jeff Lerg, the program’s cornerstone.

But through two weekends of the regular season, the buzz seems to be back around East Lansing and coach Rick Comley’s smiles have returned during his weekly press conferences. The Spartans swept Clarkson convincingly on opening weekend and split a hard-fought series on the road at Maine’s not-so-welcoming Alfond Arena this past weekend.

A key to Michigan State’s speedy recovery has been the play of a freshman class led by forward Derek Grant, who won the CCHA’s first rookie of the week award for this season, and blue liners Zach Josepher and Torey Krug, who have helped fill in some of the large chinks in last year’s Spartan armor. Having opened the season well against Clarkson provided a glimpse of just how potent a class this may be and, better yet, that potential withstood the test of a relentless and hostile crowd in Orono.

“They did great,” Comley said of his freshman class during his weekly meeting with reporters Tuesday. “I think it was a good trip for them, good bonding. It’s always good to get away for three or four days and they handled the atmosphere very well. The atmosphere at Maine is as good or second to none as far as noise in the building. And that crowd, boy, they have a purpose coming into that building.”

As trying of an environment as that can be for freshman who are just finding their college hockey legs, it wasn’t any easier on sophomore netminder Drew Palmisano—the brave soul charged with softening the blow levied by Lerg’s graduation.

Michigan State goaltender Drew Palmisano successfully battled Maine— and team's rabid fans—in Orono last weekend.
    “You drive up to the building at five o’clock and there are 1,000 students lined up outside,” Comley said. “They’re there for the warm-up, they taunt your goaltender all through the warm-up. They’re throwing foam pucks on the ice to mix in with the regular pucks so your kids never know what they’re shooting. You know, it’s just non-stop.

“I thought Palmisano did a good job in dealing with that, because for four of the six periods, he’s just surrounded because they have a balcony at that end of the rinks. It’s as good of a college crowd as I’ve been around.”

It may be too early to call the Spartans a threat to revive visions of the impenetrable top four in the CCHA that reigned for several seasons prior to last year, but the development of Grant and his classmates and the (so far) steady Palmisano behind them give Comley hope. Add in the revived Corey Tropp, who has returned from last year’s season-ending suspension with nine points in four games, and Jeff Petry, who may just be better than he was during his dazzling freshman season, and MSU might just have the supporting cast to give opponents headaches.

When asked just how important a win or two in this weekend’s series at top-ranked Miami would be, Comley was confident that it would officially mean his program is back on track.

“I don’t know [about a] program win,” Comley said. “But I think it’s another key step on the road back to being competitive at the level that we want to be at, which I think we’re going to be before it’s all said and done … You know, I’m very much encouraged by this team and where I think it can get to. I like how they play hard, I like the areas of the ice that we can play in, we don’t get outmuscled now, we win faceoffs, we compete and we can score goals.”
    Inside College Hockey | CCHA: Quick Start Brings Optimism to East Lansing

MSU beat 4-0-0 WMU 2-1 after video review showed that WMU's potential game tying goal came a hair late. Close call, we've had a few of those in EL recently....

I feel like every win is worth celebrating. I hear MSU has lost the dump and chase (if true, thank you god) and coupled with some talented freshmen, seem to have made some strides since last year. Hope they can keep it up.

And a sweep of WMU. Now 6-2 on the season, with a win over the #1 team on the road. This team is gonna have me drinking the cool aid here soon. At the very least, I may have found something to carry me over between football and basketball season....

And MSU beats M at Yost tonight. To say this season has been an incredible turnaround would be an understatement. We've already won in Oxford and AA, and its only early November.

MSU sweeps M! Shutout, 2-0. And the obligatory "just like football" chant :-).

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanValor View Post
    MSU sweeps M! Shutout, 2-0. And the obligatory "just like football" chant :-).
    What a weekend to be a Spartan fan!

Wins in all three big sports!
    Obama '12

7 game unbeaten streak, and we sit at the top of the CCHA standings. Incredible.

4th largest crowd in Munn history, too. Included Cousins and MD.....

Spartans Shut Out Michigan, Sweep Weekend - MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

East Lansing, Mich - Michigan State completed a weekend sweep of archrival Michigan on Saturday with a 2-0 shutout of the Wolverines at Munn Ice Arena. A capacity crowd of 7,009 watched the Spartans win both ends of a weekend set for the first time since the 1997-98 season, and sophomore goaltender Drew Palmisano record a 31-save shutout. Michigan State leads the country with nine victories (9-2-1) and leads the CCHA with a 6-1-1 record in league tilts.

Chris Forfar put the Spartans on the board with what would be the eventual game-winner at 12:58. Mike Merrifield collected the puck in the right circle and put a shot on net that was saved by Bryan Hogan. Merrifield chased down the puck behind the net, wheeled out to the left side, and dished it across the slot to Forfar at the bottom of the right circle, and the centerman lifted the puck over the shoulder of Hogan.

In the second, Michigan was getting shots to the net, but Palmisano came up with the saves - including big back-to back ones on , first on Louie Caporusso and then a Chris Brown shot that he shoved aside with his left pad at the 10:30 mark. The Wolverines had 15 shots on net in the frame, but struggled to beat Palmisano.

The Spartans got the insurance goal at 1:31 of the third period, when the Wolverines turned over the puck in their own defensive end. Dustin Gazley sent a shot netward, and Andrew Rowe finished it off at the right post. It was Rowe's second goal in as many nights.

Neither team had any luck on the man advantage on the weekend, as Michigan finished tonight's game 0-for-6 on the power play. MSU was 0-for-3.

The Spartans are back in action on Thursday evening, when they host Notre Dame at Munn Ice Arena. The teams will complete the series on Sunday in Fort Wayne, Ind.
    The bolded statement is shocking, especially considering we've already played Miami and Michigan 4 times.

lionstigersand... is offline MotownSports Fan

I was able to watch Friday's game, and Michigan just plain looks a like a mess. Way too much individual play. Very unimpressive, very uninspired.
    Sure they'll put a fair amount of rubber on net, but you could count the quality scoring chances on one hand.

MSU's freshman fourth line played ridiculously well Friday night; *poor taste alert* and man, did Corey Tropp ever abuse Kampfer again at Yost.
    Last edited by lionstigersand...; 11-15-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

MSU wins again, 1-0 over NMU. CCHA Standings (only including points, because its chaos if I include more than that):

Code:
    1 Miami  25 points
    2 Michigan State  23 
    3 Ferris State 19  
      Alaska 19 
    5 Notre Dame 18 
    6 Ohio State 17 
    7 Northern Michigan 15 
      Nebraska-Omaha 15 
    9 Lake Superior 13 
    10 Bowling Green 10 
    11 Michigan 9 
      Western Michigan 9
    2009-2010 CCHA Standings :: USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online

Went to the GLI tonight. MSU won in the first game, 10-1, over Michigan Tech. Tech looked awful, needless to say.

Michigan then lost to RPI in the second game, 4-3 (I believe...maybe it was 5-4). Michigan completely outshot (46-14) and outplayed them, but their goaltending was horrendous. Terrible goals allowed by Hogan, and the tiny dude after him was just amusing to watch. The evening made for some great one-liners, as my former roomate at MSU joined our two high school friends from Michigan for the two games. Great time.

MSU vs RPI tomorrow night for the championship.

Also, got free autographs from abdelkader and drew miller before the game. They were signing dual MSU/Red Wing posters of their like, for free, which was pretty sweet. Abdelkader scored the game winning goal in the NCAA championship game when I was a senior at MSU, so that was pretty cool.

MSU ended up winning the GLI, disposing of RPI 6-1. In the two games, they outscored their opponents by a combined score of 16-2. Easily the most dominant team at the Joe, and the improvement over last season could not involve enough hyperbole. It would have taken them, on average, just under 16 games to score 16 goals last year. Amazing.

Michigan squeaked by Tech 5-3 for the 3rd place finish. Not sure what the hell happened to the Michigan hockey team, but something seems to be in the water down there in AA.

Last edited by SpartanValor; 01-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.

I went to the championship game on Wednesday. As with Tuesday, it was over from the start. What a difference a year makes.

This should continue to be a fun winter/spring as we see how far MSU bball/hockey go.
    Obama '12

Default Red Berenson...

gettin' a little chin music! Ouch!
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

juiceman is offline MotownSports Fan

Michigan & Michigan State to play at Michigan Stadium on December 11th:

It's official: Hockey at Michigan Stadium | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
    VT

Speaking of perhaps the greatest rivalry in college hockey...Sparty and big blue continue their season series tonight (@Munn I believe) at 7pm on the BTN, and then double-down tomorrow at JLA.

MSU swept their first two meetings, but Michigan has seemingly righted some of their ship over the last few weeks, while MSU has staggered from their strong start.

Michigan was totally hosed on a premature whistle...Ref thought the puck was frozen under Palmisano, when it was about 4 feet above him.

Oh well, MSU winner winner chicken dinner!
    Last edited by lionstigersand...; 01-29-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Hongbit is offline MotownSports Fan

Things like that happen to poorly coached teams.
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by Hongbit View Post
    Things like that happen to poorly coached teams.
    My lord do I wish Benke, Kle, RJBrez and company, followed college hockey more closely...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast