PDA

View Full Version : Faygo root beer voted #1 in country....

slim pickens
09-01-2009, 05:31 AM
What's going on: Faygo Root Beer ranked No. 1 | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20090828/FEATURES01/908280479/-1/rss07)

Faygo Root Beer ranked No. 1

Bon Appétit's September issue ranks Detroit's own Faygo Root Beer No. 1 in a tasting of at least six brands from around the country. The magazine says root beer is the newest restaurant drink trend, showing up on menus everywhere.

Besides having satisfying, complex flavors, root beer is caffeine-free and usually sweetened with cane sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup, the magazine notes.

The magazine describes it as "dry and crisp, with a frothy head, a good bite and a long finish."

Faygo says the drink we know as root beer was originally one of a group of beverages, with or without alcohol, called small beers. They were made with a blend of herbs, barks and roots that usually included birch, sarsaparilla and ginger. Faygo's first root beer was called Sassafras Soda; the name was changed to Faygo Root Beer in the late 1920s.

JonBenke
09-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Is Faygo the reason why we call it pop ?

djhutch
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
It was called "Soda Pop" for years. Michiganders dropped the correct portion.

eastside billee
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Geez, this kinda surprises me. I have several root beers that I like better.

In order I choose:

A & W - from the location (not from the bottle or can)

Culvers - excellent root beer for sure

Barq's - an obvious choice

Town Club used to have a sassafras soda too - I thought that sassafas was a combo of cola and root beer - guess I was wrong.

Corky
09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
I had a frosty mug of A&W the other day and it was perfect. Boy is that stuff filling.

If only their food was of an equal quality.

PuNk42AE
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Jones also has a great Root Beer (And Cream Soda), it has an amazing after taste.

guy incognito
09-01-2009, 12:07 PM
When I was a kid, my grandmother lived directly behind an A&W (now Eddie's Drive-In (http://www.eddiesdrivein.com)) in Harrison Township. In the summertime we'd visit her on Sunday, and after dinner they'd send us kids over to the A&W to get a gallon jug of root beer to bring back.

Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia talking, but I've never, ever had a root beer that tasted better than the stuff that came in that gallon jug.

laverty
09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
When I was a kid, my grandmother lived directly behind an A&W (now Eddie's Drive-In (http://www.eddiesdrivein.com)) in Harrison Township. In the summertime we'd visit her on Sunday, and after dinner they'd send us kids over to the A&W to get a gallon jug of root beer to bring back.

Maybe it's just childhood nostalgia talking, but I've never, ever had a root beer that tasted better than the stuff that came in that gallon jug.

OR the frosty mug...:happy:

Biff Mayhem
09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Faygo is good but Barqs is the nectar of the gods.

smr-nj
09-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Dr. Brown's is really good, too.

JohnJMS
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Root Beer is one of those drinks I enjoy a lot. Always reminds me of being a kid. But for some reason, we don't buy it a lot. Maybe because psychologically I want it to still seem like a treat every time I have it.

I think I'll have some tonight!:grin:

Velma Dinkley
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Root Beer has always been my favorite soda. Since I try not to drink soda too often a couple times a year I'll treat myself to a jug of A&W from the Drive-In in Farmington (the grocery store bottled verison is nothing close to what you get fresh from the tap at their drive-ins). Drive-In A&W has to be my favorite by far. Faygo is pretty decent but I like Goose Island Root Beer better than Faygo.

MelissaG915
09-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I used to be a carhop at A&W. I love root beer, I drank entirely too much of it while pregnant with the boy.

chasfh
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I haven't had root beer in I don't know how many years. It's not that I don't like it -- I just hardly ever drink pop. Mostly only in movie theaters, and then only Coca-Cola.

One of the things that amused me about the story is this part:

Bon Appétit's September issue ranks Detroit's own Faygo Root Beer No. 1 in a tasting of at least six brands from around the country.

The tasting was among at least six brands. Could have been seven brands. Maybe eight. Possibly even nine. But we know it's at least six brands. :grin:

It's amusing that the exact number of brands in the taste test is only an estimate, because it's apparently unknown.

Porcelain God
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I've never really had a bad root beer, but of all those listed here Faygo is the worst.

djhutch
09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Best Root Beer I ever had was from a small restaurant up in Oscoda called Wiltse's. They had their own micro-brewery on site, & made beer & root beer. It was excellent. Of the others listed, the best I've had is A&W in a frosty mug at the restaurant. Once you put the stuff in cans it kills the flavor.

Auburndale Ray
09-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Faygo does have good pops...
I've never really thought of their Root Beer as being so excellent...
Red Pop and Rock & Rye are my favorites from Faygo...

shabba4detroit
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I've never really had a bad root beer, but of all those listed here Faygo is the worst.

Thank you for that bulletin from the Department of Wrong.

shabba4detroit
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Geez, this kinda surprises me. I have several root beers that I like better.

In order I choose:

A & W - from the location (not from the bottle or can)

Culvers - excellent root beer for sure

Barq's - an obvious choice

Town Club used to have a sassafras soda too - I thought that sassafas was a combo of cola and root beer - guess I was wrong.

Was it Sassafras or Sarsaparilla? I remember the Sarsaparilla.

A & W from a proper location is made fresh on site daily. It clearly should not count in a discussion of package root beer. But, it's dang good.

Barq's was better when it wasn't a Coca-Cola product.

Sprecher's is very good. It's available in a case of 16oz glass bottles at the Costco.

I was camping in Ohio a few weeks ago and there was a Civil War reenactment going on. Someone there was selling homemade root beer. Awesome.

eastside billee
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Dang Shabba, I am getting really old. It was Sasparilla not Sassafras.

You guys got me going on the root beer thing now. I'm dying for an A & W!!!
I'm even thinking, maybe in my retirement, I should learn how to make root beer? That would be a cool thing to do.

pfife
09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I was camping in Ohio

bummer

sub rosa
09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
i positively, absolutely, and unconditionally detest root beer. all of it is bad to me.

blech.

Oblong
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
you poor soul.

[The Most Interesting Man in the World]
I don't usually drink pop, but when I do I make sure it's a Root Beer or Rock % Rye

[/The Most Interesting Man in the World]

DrWho17
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Yea, Faygo is priced right. I pick up a Red Pop/Rock & Rye/Cream Soda 2 liter from them now and again.

smr-nj
09-02-2009, 01:56 PM
[The Most Interesting Man in the World]
I don't usually drink pop, but when I do I make sure it's a Root Beer or Rock % Rye

[/The Most Interesting Man in the World]

http://idology.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/most_interesting_man.jpg?w=225&h=273

djhutch
09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Was it Sassafras or Sarsaparilla? I remember the Sarsaparilla.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/7304/rufus-pi.jpg

eastside billee
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Pretty funny there Shabba. By the way, why did Sue put up a picture of Ringo Starr?
What does he have to do with root beer anyway?

TStar
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Is Faygo the reason why we call it pop ?

You are correct sir. Midwesterners call it pop because that's the sound the original 7oz bottles made when you opened them. Why didn't pop become a national name instead of a regional one? Because Faygo's unique recipes had a shelf life that was extremely low and could only be marketed in Michigan and Northern Ohio. It wasn't until the 50s that new purification techniques allowed them to increase the shelf life and ship it to the rest of the country.

shabba4detroit
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Pretty funny there Shabba. By the way, why did Sue put up a picture of Ringo Starr?
What does he have to do with root beer anyway?

That's Ringo Starr?? I thought it was Sue?? (ducks and runs):classic:

ToledoTigerFan
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I've never been a fan of root beer. 3-4 years ago, I had an odd craving for root beer. Drank it like crazy for a month, then lost the craving. It hasn't returned.

laverty
09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Barq's was better when it wasn't a Coca-Cola product.

I haven't read the entire thread so...apologies...once upon a time Mountain Dew was in glass only...when the glass went away (early 70's?) I couldn't stand it! Since then I seldom drink 'pop'...